U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times

Advertisements

English isn't the first language in the elementary schools anymore.

Since 2012, students have been primarily using their native language in school from K-3. It's not only the medium of instruction, but the students also learn to read and write in their native language. During that time they also have subject classes in Filipino and English. Then starting at grade 4, their classes are in Filipino or English, depending on the subject. I think English is used for science and math, and Filipino is used for the rest.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 AM

318 posts, read 487,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Just aesthetically grating to me.
Have you ever heard Manny Pacquiao trying to speak English ? Its horrible. My mother speaks English more fluently than him. And my mother is from Bulgaria, a country where English is almost non existent.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Have you ever heard Manny Pacquiao trying to speak English ? Its horrible. My mother speaks English more fluently than him. And my mother is from Bulgaria, a country where English is almost non existent.
Manny Pacquiao doesn't represent all the Filipinos. He is not really educated having finish only fourth grade and a product of Public School. You live in the States right ? It's normal your Mum already learned English from talking to people there.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Yes, Manny Pacquiao is horrible in English. And just in case you're wondering, his Tagalog is horrible as well. His native language is Cebuano. But then Manny Pacquiao did not even finish high school...

Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Why Manny Pacquiao and not an educated person...

Suze Orman on ANC: Advice on managing personal funds - YouTube

She still has a Filipino accent, but she speaks so clearly. Educated Filipinos enunciate in some places where native speakers don't and it makes it easier to understand IMO

Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,202,766 times
the Singaporean English accent sounds pretty good and doesnt have the annoying FOB accent of other types

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM

621 posts, read 381,929 times
Well if its English in Asia, I only think of HKer & Filipino English pleasant to my ears. I dont like SG & Indian English personally although they maybe the next best equipped english speakers in Asia.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Well if its English in Asia, I only think of HKer & Filipino English pleasant to my ears. I dont like SG & Indian English personally although they maybe the next best equipped english speakers in Asia.
There are many Hkongers who can't speak English. A lot of Singaporeans can speak English.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 AM

621 posts, read 381,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are many Hkongers who can't speak English. A lot of Singaporeans can speak English.
Correct but still I dont personally like Singaporean accent, I prefer HK accent...

Old 04-02-2014, 05:55 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
'Best equipped'? Most Hong Kongers can't even speak English fluently, while most Singaporeans can (even if a lot of them don't speak perfect English). Singapore, Philippines/Malaysia are definitely the top 3 English speak nations in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or