U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,151,757 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would you say the same for Indonesia? Is the Philippines poorer than Java per capita?

I wonder if that contributes to the higher crime rate in the Phils compared to the rest of Asia.

Yes, some might attribute the Vietnamese work ethic to their rise, although I hear corruption is rife within the communist party.
Well the gini coefficient index says that indonesia still have better wealth distribution, though its still bad. And jakarta do have higher gdp and per capita than manila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Southern US
162 posts, read 195,387 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Is it really rare for a poor country to have a wealthy area surrounded by slums? I feel like that's very common in the world. Wealth inequality is also very common.



And Makati isn't the only wealthy area and it's not surrounded by slums. Fort Bonifacio is to the East and it's much nicer. to the North is the Ortigas business district, with its own set of neighborhoods like in Makati. Amy Chua's family (Tiger Mom) is from that area. Ortigas transitions into Eastwood City, which is like a nice self-contained city. And in the southern part of the metro is Alabang, which is like the neighborhoods of Makati, but without skyscrapers everywhere. It's more suburban

The thing that makes Manila's slums look so bad is the population density. But if you go into most of the houses, most of them have electricity, a TV, cellphones, and they can access the internet by going to their neighborhood computer shop. If they finally implement the RH Law, I think things will start to improve for the poor.
What is the RH law? What does RH stand for?

I just posted above this post about the dynesty bill wondering if this is the imminent thing that will get passed and end poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,023,205 times
Reputation: 1798
The Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012 (Republic Act No. 10354), informally known as the Reproductive Health Law or RH Law, is a law in the Philippines, which guarantees universal access to methods on contraception, fertility control, sexual education, and maternal care.

It was passed at the end of 2012, but it hasn't been implemented yet because of legal issues. I don't know the details. Some people think it's unconstitutional, some people dont know how it can be funded. And then the religious argument of course

But when it gets implemented, population growth will decline rapidly (because it's already been declining for decades, even without this law)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Southern US
162 posts, read 195,387 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well the gini coefficient index says that indonesia still have better wealth distribution, though its still bad. And jakarta do have higher gdp and per capita than manila.
I do think the Gini coeficient is a bit flawed. I think it is something like comparing the top 10 percent to the bottom 10 percent. Since Philippines has so many poor, the top 10 percent (10 million people) is actually diluted also by a huge sum of very poor people. So it appears as less bold color on a gini map. But the reality is that with a country that actually has extensive rich neighbourhoods, richer than Toronto's and extensive poor neighborhoods, worse off than Bolivia's and Myanmar's, in truth and reality, inequality is worse in Phils than almost anywhere else. I already read that the worst inequality in Asia is in Phils, despite it not appearing on the gini map due the calculation using large block percentages. We need a fine calculation of such a grading to uncover the real rich-poor divide in countries like Phils that actually have the richest and poorest neighborhoods in the world just a half hour walk away from each other.

From the dirty rich to the dirt poor that don't even get any jobs to have any money:


Blame this on the dynasties that impede foreign investment and hoard the little money that does come in. This is why you would see slums with sub saharan Africa type living conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Southern US
162 posts, read 195,387 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012 (Republic Act No. 10354), informally known as the Reproductive Health Law or RH Law, is a law in the Philippines, which guarantees universal access to methods on contraception, fertility control, sexual education, and maternal care.

It was passed at the end of 2012, but it hasn't been implemented yet because of legal issues. I don't know the details. Some people think it's unconstitutional, some people dont know how it can be funded. And then the religious argument of course

But when it gets implemented, population growth will decline rapidly (because it's already been declining for decades, even without this law)
Ok that is interesting. That will take care of the population issue. But what about the weath inequality issue? the anti-dynasty bill is needed for that issue. Any chance you think that is getting passed too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,023,205 times
Reputation: 1798
I would say the slums in this video are the worst in the Philippines


Our World Living With Slums(philiphines) - YouTube

I don't think they're the worst slums in the world. They're just very densely populated. People aren't starving like in many African countries. The crime rate is probably less than US ghettos, and definitely less than Latin American ghettos.

By the way, one of the slums in the video has improved a lot since this was filmed

Before and after
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p-drive-01.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 04-07-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
 
399 posts, read 581,790 times
Reputation: 319
Please not communism unless you want more suffering and death. Learn from others mistakes. There has to be another way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Southern US
162 posts, read 195,387 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I would say the slums in this video are the worst in the Philippines


Our World Living With Slums(philiphines) - YouTube

I don't think they're the worst slums in the world. They're just very densely populated. People aren't starving like in many African countries. The crime rate is probably less than US ghettos, and definitely less than Latin American ghettos.

By the way, one of the slums in the video has improved a lot since this was filmed

Before and after
Relocation of all these people will take up so much space. Given that little of the residences are built up like in Bangladesh, they will sprawl a huge amount when they are built up in new projects.

When I move to Caloocan City, it will be interesting to see these places for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,023,205 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
Relocation of all these people will take up so much space. Given that little of the residences are built up like in Bangladesh, they will sprawl a huge amount when they are built up in new projects.

When I move to Caloocan City, it will be interesting to see these places for myself.
I agree. They need to build up rather than taking up all that space in the country. They do in-city relocation too, and they're high rises
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,151,757 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I do think the Gini coeficient is a bit flawed. I think it is something like comparing the top 10 percent to the bottom 10 percent. Since Philippines has so many poor, the top 10 percent (10 million people) is actually diluted also by a huge sum of very poor people. So it appears as less bold color on a gini map. But the reality is that with a country that actually has extensive rich neighbourhoods, richer than Toronto's and extensive poor neighborhoods, worse off than Bolivia's and Myanmar's, in truth and reality, inequality is worse in Phils than almost anywhere else. I already read that the worst inequality in Asia is in Phils, despite it not appearing on the gini map due the calculation using large block percentages. We need a fine calculation of such a grading to uncover the real rich-poor divide in countries like Phils that actually have the richest and poorest neighborhoods in the world just a half hour walk away from each other.

From the dirty rich to the dirt poor that don't even get any jobs to have any money:


Blame this on the dynasties that impede foreign investment and hoard the little money that does come in. This is why you would see slums with sub saharan Africa type living conditions.
May i know metro manila's wealth pattern? I know tondo is slums but where does the poor people really concentrated? jakarta is also a city of contrast (partly because it have horrible planning) you may drive and see beautiful area filled highrises and to turn to the intersection to see poor area, in jakarta the rich mostly live in south jakarta and while the rich chinese lives mostly at rich district of pantai indah kapuk in the north, surrounded by poor housing, the chinese has always been historically dominant in west and north jakarta explaining their dominance there and it was also the former commercial center before shifted central-south, and at the same time with rapid urbanization the area quickly turned to large extensive slum and is now jakarta's poorest area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top