U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
From the quote above, it seems that being ethnically Chinese is not as important as being culturally Chinese. Since language is a big component of culture, you are not considered "Chinese" in that context.

In a hypothetical scenario, what if Chinese Singaporeans were threatened en masse? Would China intervene and help their "people" or not because they aren't considered Chinese? (This would be similar to the real-life example of Russia justifying the occupation of Crimea to protect the Russian-speaking majority over there.)
I doubt it. In the past say in the British colonial era when Singaporeans were British subjects they had more ties to their ancestral homelands, and China might've done more back then (for instance Communism in Singapore was largely pro-Chinese) but now that Singaporeans are Singaporean citizens and Singapore is a sovereign nation I don't think any ancestral ties mean much and they don't think of Singaporeans as any more their kin than any other Asian nationality. Their relationship with Singapore will depend on the usual factors.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Singaporelady, Singaporeans don't show any favouritism towards PRC migrants compared to others do they??

Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Singaporelady, Singaporeans don't show any favouritism towards PRC migrants compared to others do they??
Nope i dont think so.. They are not given any preferential treatment the way i see it

Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
People in China all know Singaporeans are mostly Huaren and they more or less recognize them as from the same ethnic group.

Overseas Chinese who do not speak any Chinese language are also considered Huaren, not totally a "foreigner". Some people may have negative opinions, but not necessarily.

In China, minorities are considered "Chinese" too, especially those who look like East Asians.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
People in China all know Singaporeans are mostly Huaren and they more or less recognize them as from the same ethnic group.

Overseas Chinese who do not speak any Chinese language are also considered Huaren, not totally a "foreigner". Some people may have negative opinions, but not necessarily.

In China, minorities are considered "Chinese" too, especially those who look like East Asians.
honestly all a matter of personal perception

Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Nope i dont think so.. They are not given any preferential treatment the way i see it
That's good to know then. Yes, in fact many S'poreans are pretty discriminatory against 'mainlanders.'

How Chinese a Chinese person considers you depends on many factors. Their definition of 'Chinese', where they were brought up.etc.

I guess I don't really consider myself Chinese, or truly Chinese, at the end of the day.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

But if a Chinese person compared me to say, an ethnic minority who looked the same as Han, and obviously spoke Putonghua and was culturally Chinese, it would be ridiculous to see me as more 'Han' than the minority, wouldn't it? I mean the minority is more Chinese in pretty much every regard.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 AM

1,011 posts, read 627,358 times
If a uyghur speaks chinese and accepts the mainstream Chinese culture, I do not see any problem viewing them as chinese. A lot of minority group in China is actually very chinese, like hui (muslim) and Man (manchurian). I have many friends who are of hui and Man descent. they are 100% chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
I think the bigger question would be: What does mainland China think, in general, about "overseas Chinese" (aka Hǎiwi Hurn)?

Interesting, this brings another facet to the "identity debate": nationality. Perhaps China would accept an uyghur more so than an overseas Chinese person (who doesn't speak Chinese) because at least the uyghur is a Chinese national and therefore contributes to the national economy (at least in theory).

Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
If a uyghur speaks chinese and accepts the mainstream Chinese culture, I do not see any problem viewing them as chinese. A lot of minority group in China is actually very chinese, like hui (muslim) and Man (manchurian). I have many friends who are of hui and Man descent. they are 100% chinese.
Yeah Hui are definitely Chinese. They are just Muslim, don't eat pork, and some have a bit of Persian, Arabic, Central Asian ancestry.

The history of China is one of expansion and absorption of many ethnic groups. Anyone who believes that all Han are descended from the Huaxia or mythical 'Yellow Emperor' is a deluded idiot.

Would be even funnier if one of those people had a broad Filipino nose (no racism intended)...

Old 05-26-2014, 04:25 PM

318 posts, read 487,262 times
Most Chinese Americans in California for example know how to speak Chinese because California has such a high percentage of Chinese people.

But I can imagine a Chinese American person being raised in Nebraska for example, not knowing how to speak Chinese because it is a very White state with a weak Chinese presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or