U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,154,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
I think they don't look like Chinese if I compare them to Javanese students from Yogyakarta and Malang. But I want to know your opinion.
Most would pass as native javanese, except few of them with slit eyes.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Half Caucasian-Indo usually dont look like them as far as i know, it is possible however that they might just have ancestry such as Arabs or the likes. Well to us atleast they dont really look like mixed, it is possible for pure Indonesians to have those feature without mixing, dunno anything about european preference however.
Yeah I'd say there's a good chance the girl in the first photo and the third (I think someone else said they were, didn't you say?). In Malaysia on TV I often see very European looking 'Malays', I'm pretty sure they're mixed with Indian or Arabs because I hardly see people like that IRL there.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 AM

72 posts, read 121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, maybe a bit, Central Asians vary a lot. Most Kazakhs have unmistakable eyes, the type that is not typical in Java.
Here is example of a person from Kyrgyzstan who looks like Indonesian. I don't know he is ethnically Kyrgyz or Uzbek. I think combination of Middle Eastern-related peoples with Mongol-related peoples can result like Southeast Asian sometimes, especially maritime Southeast Asians (Austronesians).

http://gdb.rferl.org/5AAB1CB3-C963-4...mw1024_n_s.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Most would pass as native javanese, except few of them with slit eyes.
Actually all of them can pass, including the teacher hehe.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhamsingosari View Post
Here is example of a person from Kyrgyzstan who looks like Indonesian. I don't know he is ethnically Kyrgyz or Uzbek. I think combination of Middle Eastern-related peoples with Mongol-related peoples can result like Southeast Asian sometimes, especially maritime Southeast Asians (Austronesians).

http://gdb.rferl.org/5AAB1CB3-C963-4...mw1024_n_s.png

Actually all of them can pass, including the teacher hehe.
Yes, although he looks more sort of Indo-Aryan with a bit of Mongoloid. Northern Mongoloids or Nordsinids tend to distinctly sharp, pointed noses.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runno View Post
Filipino definitely look closer to Vietnamese and Cambodian than they are Polynesian.
It depends. Some look quite Pacific Islander to me.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runno View Post
Well, Bolo Yeung has more of South-Eastern Chinese which historically had strong connect with true Vietnamese who were Mon-Khmer(Austro-Asiantic) along with Cambodian. The feature of strong prominent cheekbone/strong squarish jaw line/flat broad nose of Bolo Yeung is extremely common among Mon-Khmer population such as Cambodian/Vietnamese/Wa/De'ang/Blang.

By the way, South-Western Chinese(Yunnan/Sichuan/Western Guangxi) will have different feature from South-Eastern Chinese(Guangdong/Eastern Guangxi). South-Western Chinese historically has strong connection with Tai-Kadai people(Lao/Thai/Dai/Zhuang) and their feature will more likely to be similar to Tai-Kadai people such as Lao/Thai/Zhuang which has horse face(nose part is more forward than chin)/longer pointy nose/longer skiner face.

Tai-Kadai (Lao/Thai/Dai/Zhuang) which South-Western China would look similar to.
So those are the Dai in Yunnan? So a lot of their architecture/costumes are similar to Thai?

Yeah I wonder how much Thai culture is Dai as opposed to Khmer.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 AM

^ what do you mean? In Bangkok people have many looks. She could easily pass in BKK.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 AM

Although she's from Chiang Mai, a lot of people in Bangkok look like PM Yingluck Shinawatra.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 AM

^ both Javanese and Mon-Khmer are historically linked, even the kingdoms, the temples and culture.. also believed that the Mon-Khmer migrated to Java and Bali region around 2000 years ago, i am very keen on their historical link at most. It is said that the kingdom of Angkor itself followed the Javanese pattern of kingdom (partly also because the Khmers then was a vassal of the Javanese for a while), and that Angkor Wat itself is inspired by the ancient temples of Indonesia Borobudur and Prambanan. Java also have migration from the Austronesian stock plus being ruled by Malay Sumatran based Srivijayan for a couple of hundred years, the Sailendra Srivijaya dynasty who are known to be the founder of Borobudur temple are formed by the marriage of Javanese and Malay royalties.

Bronze Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, Srivijaya style, from Chaya. Bangkok National Museum, Thailand:

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x...08LIT04248.jpg

Avalokiteshvara of Plaosan temple in Java:

http://earthacupuncture.info/386px-A...ra_Plaosan.jpg

We also have the same word for Psar = Pasar, Soorya = Surya and Desa, which means market, Sun and village... might be sanskrit influence but still very2 nice to know that Indonesia have another brother other than the Austronesian family. It is also known that Cambodia look up to Indonesia from then and today in high regards.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-13-2014 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted photo's.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 AM

It is known that in Khmer stories Java which were described as "Chaeva" in their historical tale book are known to be the mystical and full of wonder island, and its still is haha.

Yes unfortunately those migration of the Thai became the downfall of the Khmer empire itself, and soon Ayutthaya rose and removed Angkor from its existence..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia