U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 AM

318 posts, read 489,221 times

Advertisements

Do Papua New Guineans have a bad reputation in Indonesia ? Meaning do Papua New Guinean immigrants commit a lot of crime in Indonesia ? Or is general opinion of them mostly positive ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
I doubt there are many Papuan immigrants to Indonesia. I don't know what most Indonesians think of West Papua, but i suspect what they think doesn't matter, it's what the government thinks. Unfortunately I don't see Irian Jaya/West Papua returning to Papua New Guinea anytime soon.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 AM

318 posts, read 489,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I doubt there are many Papuan immigrants to Indonesia. I don't know what most Indonesians think of West Papua, but i suspect what they think doesn't matter, it's what the government thinks. Unfortunately I don't see Irian Jaya/West Papua returning to Papua New Guinea anytime soon.
Do most people in West Papua look Negrito/Black ? Or do most of them look like regular Brown/tanned Southeast Asian Mongoloids ?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Do most people in West Papua look Negrito/Black ? Or do most of them look like regular Brown/tanned Southeast Asian Mongoloids ?
They're Papuans, like those in PNG, Melanesian/Papuan, very different from most other Indonesians:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...w=1309&bih=648

Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,150,887 times
There was a couple of border conflict but usually aren't taken as seriously as the Malaysian-Indonesia border problem, last time the PNG govt killed Indonesian fisherman for illegal fishing and there was a little anger from it, but actually PNG is totally unheard of in majority parts of Indonesia and most of the population had very little idea of its existence.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:59 AM

83 posts, read 154,515 times
West Papua is gradually being assimilated into the wider Indonesian population primarily through migration onto the Island. The conflict in Papua has its roots in the colonial period, where the former colonists changed their tactics. Instead of directly and overtly conducting genocide, they are using third parties to do the dirty work. Hence much of the world remains unaware of what is going on because the media is silent on it for the most part.

Indonesia has no real modern reason to annex Papua outside of resources and the fact that there was little military force there to speak of. The modern Indonesian Islamic state and its population are far disconnected from the people and history of Papua, even though some of the native aboriginals do share a deeper connection culturally and physically.

But because it is a convenient way to continue to save face for the west, they remain silent hoping nobody would notice. Keep in mind the Australians, French, Dutch and Spanish, along with other Europeans have done a lot to wipe out LARGE numbers of indigenous populations in Asia (and everywhere else) directly in order to obtain land and resources. Now, they can just fund dictators, tyrants and thugs to do their bidding, much as they have been doing since Vietnam. The main mining companies in West Papua are American and Australian, yet the boots on the ground keeping the natives down are Indonesian. Simply a convenient way to pretend not to be involved in exploitation for Western interests....

Quote:
The Grasberg Mine is the largest gold mine and the third largest copper mine in the world. It is located in the province of Papua in Indonesia near Puncak Jaya, the highest mountain in Papua, and it has 19,500 employees. It is mostly owned by Freeport-McMoRan, which owns 90.64% of PT Freeport Indonesia, the principal operating subsidiary in Indonesia, including 9.36% owned through its wholly owned subsidiary, PT Indocopper Investama. The Government of Indonesia owns the remaining 9.36% of PT Freeport Indonesia. FCX operates under an agreement with the Government of Indonesia, which allows Freeport to conduct exploration, mining and production activities in a 24,700-acre area (Block A). It also conducts exploration activities in an approximate 500,000-acre area (Block B). All of Freeport's proven and probable mineral reserves and current mining operations are located in Block A. The 2006 production was 610,800 tonnes of copper; 58,474,392 grams of gold; and 174,458,971 grams of silver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasberg_mine

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: copy and paste

Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 PM

^well that freeport stuff is due to suharto agreement with the west after the fall of communist sukarno, which is why people are speculating that cia is behind his fall and the result is foreign exploitation. And whats with the islamic state? We are not an islamic state, we dont have official religion we are muslim majority country thats all, and well majority of indonesian know west papua but just not png.

Quote:
Why unfortunately? Majority of the citizen of west papua us the one who decided to join indonesia in the first place and since it was dutch territory it makes it rightfully indonesian territory as well. With economic reboost and development of indonesia, west papua see png as backward country.

Anyway if it did become part of png or a free state it would just be another puppet of australia

Last edited by Goshio22; 04-06-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
^well that freeport stuff is due to suharto agreement with the west after the fall of communist sukarno, which is why people are speculating that cia is behind his fall and the result is foreign exploitation. And whats with the islamic state? We are not an islamic state, we dont have official religion we are muslim majority country thats all, and well majority of indonesian know west papua but just not png.

Why unfortunately? Majority of the citizen of west papua us the one who decided to join indonesia in the first place and since it was dutch territory it makes it rightfully indonesian territory as well. With economic reboost and development of indonesia, west papua see png as backward country.

Anyway if it did become part of png or a free state it would just be another puppet of australia
How is PNG a puppet of Australia? Australia gives it a lot of aid, I think, but it's not like we're meddling in it's affairs.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
How is PNG a puppet of Australia? Australia gives it a lot of aid, I think, but it's not like we're meddling in it's affairs.
Not meddling with its affair? Hmm i dont think so, loads of australian mining company are also established there and exploiting its resource like what freeport does in the western side.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Not meddling with its affair? Hmm i dont think so, loads of australian mining company are also established there and exploiting its resource like what freeport does in the western side.
Yeah I don't know, but Indonesia's occupation of West Papua was and is pretty violent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia