U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times

Advertisements

Like would you say they are the most 'pure' Chinese, meaning that they are closest to the Huaxia who formed the Shang dynasty circa 1600 BC? Like cities like Xian or something. I mean they would have had less mixture with Mongolians, Jurchen, Austronesians, and the other minorities in S.China including Tai-Kadai speakers like peoples in cities like Beijing, Hong Kong, Chengdu etc. I would say people in this region cluster with the Quang, Tibetans and more distantly the Mongolians of the non-Chinese groups.

Basically the boundaries of the Shang dynasty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang_dynasty

Last edited by The Postman; 04-06-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 PM

127 posts, read 211,666 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLF3247Mp7U

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijduyh8ZmXQ

Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 AM

^ First is yet another far out theory...

Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,275,047 times
Hmm .. so beijing sn't considered original chinese ?

Maybe you need a deep understanding of chinese history to answer ? But sorry i dont

Old 04-07-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmm .. so beijing sn't considered original chinese ?

Maybe you need a deep understanding of chinese history to answer ? But sorry i dont
Well southern Hubei at least. I'd say Beijing was near the northern edge of the dynastic homeland of China. I don't know much about Chinese history, but Beijing was part of the state of 'Yan' during the Warring states:

Warring States period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beijing has always been near the northern periphery of the 'original' Chinese homeland.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM

3 posts, read 11,918 times
Less mixture with Mongolians and Jurchens and cluster wuth Tibetans?

How much mixture with the Mongolians and Jurchens when they invaded and moved their capital to the area in the green line?

As for Tibetans, there were and are very few mixing between the Han and Tibetans. Tibetans look like Han Chinese in the same way Japanese look like a Han Chinese.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,990 times
^ You mean southern Hebei?

The Central Plain (Zhongyuan) has often been credited to be the cradle of Chinese civilization. Luoyang in Henan was the ancient capital that is most centrally located. I would think the southern and eastern part of the plain (or even further east up to the coast or as far south as the Yangtze; Shanxi, Henan, Shandong, Anhui and Jiangsu) preserved more of the Huaxia culture, which differentiated itself by being more of an agricultural society. The northern and western part were often attacked by other ethnic groups (Mongolic, Turkic, Manchu, Tibetan, etc.) throughout Chinese history. Hebei (including Beijing) has strong Mongol, Manchu and Tibetan influences, even up to now. Shaanxi has Muslim, Turkic, Tibetan influences not to be found further east. Gansu is too far west and has even stronger non-Han influences.

The state of Qin (based near Xi'an) had a less agrarian culture compared to the other states, and incorporated some culture of the "barbaric" tribes of its neighbors. These skills made them the most powerful state during that time and was the key for defeating all the other states and unifying China. The emperors of the Tang dynasty (also had capital in Xi'an) actually had some Xianbei (Mongolic) blood through the maternal line. It was common practice during that time to intermarry with the nobility of the neighboring tribes in exchange for peace and alliance.

Out of the four ancient capitals of China, I would say Luoyang and Nanjing are more in touch with the Chinese agricultural societies while those based in Beijing and Xi'an are often more war-like with better horsemanship that they acquired from their other neighboring culture.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 AM

45 posts, read 88,769 times
I had always believed the North China Plain was the most important and significant region historically due to its fertility and thus ability to sustain a large population.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or