U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I am pretty sure the Philippines is more widely known internationally than Malaysia
Maybe for the wrong reasons lol.

Malaysia has a higher GDP despite having 30 million people, less than 1/3 as many. It gets way more visitors. In Asia, Malaysia definitely is more of a major player and punches more than the PI.

 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe for the wrong reasons lol.

Malaysia has a higher GDP despite having 30 million people, less than 1/3 as many. It gets way more visitors. In Asia, Malaysia definitely is more of a major player and punches more than the PI.
No, Malaysia is now better known due to MH370.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
No, Malaysia is now better known due to MH370.
The Philippines is not even on the radar (mind the pun) in terms of Asia. Now even Vietnam is overtaking you guys.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,477,568 times
Reputation: 1235
nope the Philippines is more widely known. We Americans don't have nothing wrong to say about the Philippines when we think about the country.

I don't know why you want to compare them if you keep saying is not influential. Its pretty influential to tou to have to talk about the country for days now.

Go ahead and ask people in here what they know of Malaysia. We Americans know very little to nothing of it
 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
nope the Philippines is more widely known. We Americans don't have nothing wrong to say about the Philippines when we think about the country.

I don't know why you want to compare them if you keep saying is not influential. Its pretty influential to tou to have to talk about the country for days now.

Go ahead and ask people in here what they know of Malaysia. We Americans know very little to nothing of it
It's because of all the threads on the Philippines here...

How is it influential?

There are countless Thai restaurants...how many Filipino ones? In Perth I can only think of a couple.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well I walked around Bangkok and never felt unsafe. To some pretty quiet areas, I dunno if it has bad areas. Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, all feel very safe to walk in despite being big cities.
Japanese tourist walking around one of the worst neighborhoods in Manila at night.

a night in Tondo

Seemed pretty safe to me.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's because of all the threads on the Philippines here...

How is it influential?

There are countless Thai restaurants...how many Filipino ones? In Perth I can only think of a couple.
Since when did Perth become the standard for international perception? And since when did the number of restaurants become the gauge for influence? Singapore has lots of Thai restaurants but I did not even see any British or Australian restaurants. Which is more influential in Singapore?

Australia is a member of the British Commonwealth, and is close to Malaysia. It is not surprising they know the countries geographically and historically closer to them. You have Malaysian descent. It is not surprising you know more about Malaysia than the average Australian.

Go to Toronto or New York, and people generally know the Philippines better than Malaysia. Malaysia is known there as this Muslim country that does not have diplomatic ties with Israel.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM
 
201 posts, read 264,849 times
Reputation: 69
^ well said!

And now it has grown to 6 pages, straying away from the main topic and now currently devolved into a pissing contest between Malaysia and Philippines.

At the end of the day, they are fellow neighboring Austronesian countries that have their respective pros and cons (which varies depending on who you ask). I doubt Malaysians and Filipinos (in their respective countries) even think about these kinds of issues, which makes it laughable that random strangers on the internet are making such a big deal out of it. To add to the comedy, the main debaters in here are most likely not citizens of either country!

Anyways, continue...
 
Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah well there are too many Filipinos here so it wouldn't be biased either...many seem keen to prove how the Philippines is basically a western, Anglophone country too...so maybe not much point discussing anymore.
well you're always talking about how the Philippines is non-exotic. Non-exotic basically equals Western, anglophone, and Christian. So it seems like you agree with those people you're arguing against.
 
Old 04-09-2014, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Since when did Perth become the standard for international perception? And since when did the number of restaurants become the gauge for influence? Singapore has lots of Thai restaurants but I did not even see any British or Australian restaurants. Which is more influential in Singapore?

Australia is a member of the British Commonwealth, and is close to Malaysia. It is not surprising they know the countries geographically and historically closer to them. You have Malaysian descent. It is not surprising you know more about Malaysia than the average Australian.

Go to Toronto or New York, and people generally know the Philippines better than Malaysia. Malaysia is known there as this Muslim country that does not have diplomatic ties with Israel.
Yes, that may be so, it's a pity because Malaysia offer so much to the palate yet Americans are so unaware of it.

Well Malaysian restaurants are a dime a dozen in Perth. Along with it's similarities to Indonesia, most Australians are pretty familiar with a lot of Malaysian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top