U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPEzQX1IW98

This documentary makes me think it's mainly the rich minority of Filipinos who speak English fluently...

I'm thinking that English in Malaysia is generally better and more widespread in the urban areas at least.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:59 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How many of those are Filipino Americans? The US has a lot of Filipinos, remember.

In Southeast Asia the Philippines is on the periphery both geographically and as a tourist destination. For some reason it seems ignored. Not saying it's right, that's how it is.
Not sure why that matters though?

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPEzQX1IW98

This documentary makes me think it's mainly the rich minority of Filipinos who speak English fluently...

I'm thinking that English in Malaysia is generally better and more widespread in the urban areas at least.
Middle class, even lower middle class will be pretty good with English. Generally, streetwalkers are from somewhat impoverished backgrounds so that is a really bad example/population sample.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not sure why that matters though?

Middle class, even lower middle class will be pretty good with English. Generally, streetwalkers are from somewhat impoverished backgrounds so that is a really bad example/population sample.
But yeah the middle class are a small minority right? And those polls probably focus on people with pretty good jobs/uni/college grads. If you wanna compare cite kampong Malays in Malaysia compare them with rural villagers. If you wanna compare rich people in Manila compare them with rich people in KL...

Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Quote:
But yeah the middle class are a small minority right? And those polls probably focus on people with pretty good jobs/uni/college grads. If you wanna compare cite kampong Malays in Malaysia compare them with rural villagers. If you wanna compare rich people in Manila compare them with rich people in KL...
I don't know why you bother asking questions here in C-D when you won't accept the honest answers from people here. I personally have experience with companies in both Malaysia and the Philippines... manager to manager (higher class), office staff to office staff (middle class), factory workers to factory workers (lower class). The Philippines has better English than Malaysians, in general, in all those classes. Do you have an ax to grind with any Filipinos (old flame perhaps)? I find it very odd that you keep on trying to put down the Philippines when you haven't even visited it yet.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Quote:
Not that small. I mean, I guess any family stable enough to not be begging for food and can manage to get their kids to school basically has the kids getting an English education and not necessarily getting a college degree. Sure, that college degree means a greater chance of someone speaking English better than someone who doesn't have one, but that's going to be true all throughout southeast Asia.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this--the answer is actually really obvious. Filipinos, across the board from what I can tell, generally have a better grasp of English vis-a-vis whatever socioeconomic level you want to pair with Malaysia. I've been to both and I don't see this is as being that crazy of a statement. I think the reason why you're having such a hard time finding something concrete to prove Malaysians as a whole are more proficient in English than Filipinos as a whole is because it's simply not true.

Unfortunately, all that English-speaking ability doesn't seem to do much for the Philippines. So, uh, I don't quite understand why this is such a pissing contest.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM

318 posts, read 488,072 times
At least Filipinos are not as bad as Indians when it comes to speaking English. Most Indian operators have horrible English speaking skills. It's like major American companies like Yahoo and Comcast for example go out of their way to find Indians with the worst English speaking skills because they are the cheapest ones to hire.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM

318 posts, read 488,072 times
Quote:
Well the perception of crime at least. It seems mostly in the larger cities. But can one walk around Cebu or something at night with no worries? I hear even Cebu has some dodgy areas.

Well I think the lack of spices too, and lack of variety...maybe some good home cooked stuff, but most people agree it's got the most lacklustre food in SEA.
The crime rate in The Philippines is slightly higher than the U.S, but the cities in the U.S that are predominantly Black like New Orleans and Detroit for example are definitely more dangerous than Philippines.

I would rather walk the streets of Cebu at midnight than walk the streets of Detroit at midnight.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Nope they are not a minority.
Postman, you seem to have so much insecurity. You always have to look for something to make Filipinos appear inferior, but there were already Non Filipinos who said that Filipinos speak better English than Malaysians, no one voted for Malaysians yet.
Yes there might be more who speak it as their first language but it's normal, Philippines only learned English for a hundred years while Malaysia got exposed to the English language earlier than the Philippines. Malaysia should have better English, but then, Philippines ranked higher.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-11-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Maybe for the wrong reasons lol.

Malaysia has a higher GDP despite having 30 million people, less than 1/3 as many. It gets way more visitors. In Asia, Malaysia definitely is more of a major player and punches more than the PI.
Malaysia's GDP may be higher but it's true, Philippines is more known.
Filipinos are every where. They are famous for being nurses, engineers, maids and sea workers.
Philippines has Manny Pacquiao.
Philippines won the Miss Universe twice already and has been runners up for 4 consecutive years already.
Philippines won Miss Supranational, International and Miss World last year.
Philippines was Miss Universe 1st runner up last year.
Yes, Philippines and Filipinos are more widely known.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:24 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Nope they are not a minority.
Postman, you seem to have so much insecurity. You always have to look for something to make Filipinos appear inferior, but there were already Non Filipinos who said that Filipinos speak better English than Malaysians, no one voted for Malaysians yet.
Yes there might be more who speak it as their first language but it's normal, Philippines only learned English for a hundred years while Malaysia got exposed to the English language earlier than the Philippines. Malaysia should have better English, but then, Philippines ranked higher.
Yeah, English in the Philippines was like 116 years only or less since (1898-2014), from the year Americans came in and introduced English. Because when British came in to colonized Manila before the Americans came for few years, they didn't introduce the English yet at that time to the public. They only knew Spanish as international or foreign language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or