U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Nope they are not a minority.
Postman, you seem to have so much insecurity. You always have to look for something to make Filipinos appear inferior, but there were already Non Filipinos who said that Filipinos speak better English than Malaysians, no one voted for Malaysians yet.
Yes there might be more who speak it as their first language but it's normal, Philippines only learned English for a hundred years while Malaysia got exposed to the English language earlier than the Philippines. Malaysia should have better English, but then, Philippines ranked higher.
I wonder how many of those are familiar with Malaysia...those rankings are based on a certain segment of the population, it was obvious most of the poor people in the video were not even fluent and were not comfortable speaking English.

 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I wonder how many of those are familiar with Malaysia...those rankings are based on a certain segment of the population, it was obvious most of the poor people in the video were not even fluent and were not comfortable speaking English.
No one claimed that poor Filipinos should be fluent and comfortable in speaking English. But being able to speak English and communicate basic stuff is still better than the English-speaking ability of even the higher classes in China or Thailand. Angeles City is not a large city nor a highly educated one. It is better known for prostitution than anything else.

You claim other people don't know Malaysia that well, but you yourself know next to nothing about the Philippines. How can you actually compare? At least some of us here have visited both countries. Aside from personal experience, there are many articles and rankings that consistently rate the Philippines highly in English, and there are many available articles that confirms that Malaysia's English is deteriorating. I don't know what you are trying to prove or refuse to believe. Maybe you can prove your point if you can post that poor Malays or Malays from the kampung actually speak the Queen's English fluently.

*BTW, I did not exactly watch the video.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I wonder how many of those are familiar with Malaysia...those rankings are based on a certain segment of the population, it was obvious most of the poor people in the video were not even fluent and were not comfortable speaking English.
To confirm it, visit the Philippines first instead of assuming right away. You always say awful things about the country when you've never been there yet which just makes you less credible.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times
Reputation: 797
Btw, did you read my post regarding Philippines being more widely known internationally ?
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
Reputation: 2833
Alright I will suspend any further judgement until I visit.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Malaysia's GDP may be higher but it's true, Philippines is more known.
Filipinos are every where. They are famous for being nurses, engineers, maids and sea workers.
Philippines has Manny Pacquiao.
Philippines won the Miss Universe twice already and has been runners up for 4 consecutive years already.
Philippines won Miss Supranational, International and Miss World last year.
Philippines was Miss Universe 1st runner up last year.
Yes, Philippines and Filipinos are more widely known.
Well yeah because a lot of them want to leave the country...

A boxer and a bunch of beauty queens constitutes knowing a country well? Compared to Thailand or even Singapore the Philippines are just not thought of much by others, maybe in America because of the overseas Filipinos...
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yeah because a lot of them want to leave the country...

A boxer and a bunch of beauty queens constitutes knowing a country well? Compared to Thailand or even Singapore the Philippines are just not thought of much by others, maybe in America because of the overseas Filipinos...
Those people were able to make the country known internationally.
Filipinos are more popular. Malaysians are unheard of except probably to Ausies.
The country just doesn't get so much tourists but doesn't mean people don't know it exists. Why would someone go to the Philippines when it is quite hard to travel from one side to the other because it's a bunch of islands ? You'd have to spend more for airline tickets to get to know the country, unlike other countries that are more accessible.
Why are you comparing the Philippines to Thailand abd Singapore ???? We are talking about the Philippines and Malaysia here.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Those people were able to make the country known internationally.
Filipinos are more popular. Malaysians are unheard of except probably to Ausies.
The country just doesn't get so much tourists but doesn't mean people don't know it exists. Why would someone go to the Philippines when it is quite hard to travel from one side to the other because it's a bunch of islands ? You'd have to spend more for airline tickets to get to know the country, unlike other countries that are more accessible.
Why are you comparing the Philippines to Thailand abd Singapore ???? We are talking about the Philippines and Malaysia here.
Well and in the UK too. Even an old Small Faces song mentions 'Kuala Lumpur' in it haha...

What, they don't have cheap ferries there?

Yes, okay, won't bring in other nations into this, but overall, it just seems people seem to forget about the PI.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,147,789 times
Reputation: 219
Former colonial master usually knows something abt their colony duhh, in netherland probably 99% of them know indonesia.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 PM
 
318 posts, read 488,317 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yeah because a lot of them want to leave the country...

A boxer and a bunch of beauty queens constitutes knowing a country well? Compared to Thailand or even Singapore the Philippines are just not thought of much by others, maybe in America because of the overseas Filipinos...
I have a Redneck American friend who refers to Filipinos as those Chinese looking people with Spanish last names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top