U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,273,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
But the population of singapore didnt really justify the real number of singaporeans who actually went to malaysia for holiday, since most of them just went there to do cheap grocery shopping. The real no 1 most visited country in SEA is Thailand.
Oops i see keyboard wars coming again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Quote:
But the population of singapore didnt really justify the real number of singaporeans who actually went to malaysia for holiday, since most of them just went there to do cheap grocery shopping. The real no 1 most visited country in SEA is Thailand.
Grocery shopping? lol...many go to JB to buy other things, it's not like they crossing the causeway every week just to buy their groceries lol. Plus how would you know most just do that?

Malaysia is just north of SG, many Singaporeans enjoy visiting Malaysia for many things. From the food, visiting relatives, some things are cheaper, the national parks, beaches.etc.

Yeah I agree Thailand has a greater spread and is more touristy-feeling (though Malaysia is too), but one could start to question numbers for any number of countries.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Grocery shopping? lol...many go to JB to buy other things, it's not like they crossing the causeway every week just to buy their groceries lol. Plus how would you know most just do that?

Malaysia is just north of SG, many Singaporeans enjoy visiting Malaysia for many things. From the food, visiting relatives, some things are cheaper, the national parks, beaches.etc.

Yeah I agree Thailand has a greater spread and is more touristy-feeling (though Malaysia is too), but one could start to question numbers for any number of countries.
It's cheaper than buying it in Singapore no? dunno i read about this somewhere, you can save money by doing so too, no doubt that many Singaporeans are fed up and bored provided they're stuck in one island, the easiest weekend get away is Malaysia, just across the causeway, fun and cheap too.

Thailand is definitely more touristy than Malaysia, probably than any neighboring countries.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,208 times
Why does every topic here have to devolve into a Visit Malaysia ad? I voted for Vietnam because I have taken a car ride from KL to Penang and from KL to Kuantan. There's nothing to see along the way except palm oil plantations. I do not agree on rating it #2 in terms of natural beauty in SE Asia.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,273,545 times
Quote:
It's cheaper than buying it in Singapore no? dunno i read about this somewhere, you can save money by doing so too, no doubt that many Singaporeans are fed up and bored provided they're stuck in one island, the easiest weekend get away is Malaysia, just across the causeway, fun and cheap too.
Yes it is cheaper than in Singapore.. Singaporeans like to go JB to buy milk powder and diapers for their children

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Why does every topic here have to devolve into a Visit Malaysia ad? I voted for Vietnam because I have taken a car ride from KL to Penang and from KL to Kuantan. There's nothing to see along the way except palm oil plantations. I do not agree on rating it #2 in terms of natural beauty in SE Asia.
The highway is not the place to see natural beauty. While it's sad that a lot of forest has been cut down, Malaysia still has Taman Negara, Royal Belum, Endau Rompin, among others...it has the beaches of the east coast...and that's West Malaysia, the East is Malaysia's real gem. From Niah/Mulu caves, coral reefs, more forest, the towering Crocker Range with Gunung (Mt) Kinabalu.etc. Look at a map of rainforest in SEA and Malaysia still has a lot more than Thailand, Vietnam.etc. Malaysia has 500 tigers left in the wild, Vietnam 50-100, Thailand about 200. Most of Indochina has sadly been cleared/ravaged by war.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Thailand is definitely more touristy than Malaysia, probably than any neighboring countries.
Yes...well with cheap flights Singaporeans can go almost anywhere in Asia for a short, cheap getaway. That's one great advantage of living in Singapura.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
True those palm tree plantation is total blight to the sceneries..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
True those palm tree plantation is total blight to the sceneries..
One reason I try to avoid products with palm oil, as hard as it can be.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 PM

22,175 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Vietnam is certainly interesting, but in terms of visitor numbers Malaysia is still no 1 in SEA (yes that includes a lot of Singaporeans, but a lot of say France's tourists come from the many neighbouring countries too).
Though the situation for France is different though because Singapore is a major city that essentially has a part of Malaysia as its suburbs so that means there's a pretty good number of people commuting from Malaysia to Singapore everyday (and probably a number doing vice versa). There are a good number of guides and expat forum posts asking and describing doing daily commutes from Malaysia to Singapore (since cost of living in Malaysia can be substantially lower while earnings can be substantially higher in Singapore) while the largest transnational metropolitan area of France would be Strasbourg with a combined German/French population of less than a million. When you're tallying up visits, it's a LOT of Singaporean visits. As in something like a single commuter doing over 200 visits a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or