U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is your favourite?
Pho 6 33.33%
Curry Laksa 5 27.78%
Ramen 3 16.67%
Beef noodle soup 3 16.67%
Soto ayam 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

^ oh yes it's also eaten as a side, but in Bali it was always served with thin rice noodles in, often as a dish in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
I'll pick the Beef Noodle soup with short ribs & beef tendons and Daikon radish

Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM

601 posts, read 587,789 times
IMHO - Laotian Khao Pun noodle soup is superior to all contenders on this list.... but I might be biased because I just got back from Laos, haha.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
IMHO - Laotian Khao Pun noodle soup is superior to all contenders on this list.... but I might be biased because I just got back from Laos, haha.
Would be cool to try some Laotian food, but considering I've never been to Laos I haven't had the chance.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
No idea what soto ayam is or even heard of it, but ranking the rest:

1. Laksa - Only had this twice, during my trip last year to Singapore, but my God it was one of the most delicious meals I had eaten in my life

2. Ramen - Tonkotsu ramen in particular, can't get enough of it.

3. Beef noodle soup - Tough to find a really good place that knows what it's doing, but a quality beef noodle soup is to die for.

4. Pho - Nothing better to warm you up on a cold winter night.
Someone really needs to bring Malaysian cuisine to those yanks...it's often considered the best in Asia, you guys are deprived I tell ya!

Indonesian too.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM

601 posts, read 587,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would be cool to try some Laotian food, but considering I've never been to Laos I haven't had the chance.
There are some Lao restaurants in the states, and many "Thai" restaurants are actually owned by Lao people. Although it's not the same of course - lots of ingredients are too expensive here, or they don't use because Americans whine about the smell, dumb down the flavors, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
There are some Lao restaurants in the states, and many "Thai" restaurants are actually owned by Lao people. Although it's not the same of course - lots of ingredients are too expensive here, or they don't use because Americans whine about the smell, dumb down the flavors, etc.
I know of a couple of Cambodian restaurants here in Melbourne. We have a large Vietnamese, but also a few Cambodian and probably Laotians here, might be at least one in Springvale.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I tried Lao cuisine and it was just too hot & peppery, too spicy for me

at the restaurant with mostly Lao customers, Im pretty sure this was authentic Lao cuisine

it was like poison to me

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

at the restaurant with mostly Lao customers, Im pretty sure this was authentic Lao cuisine

it was like poison to me
Wow poison? Strong words...I'm curious...I'm guessing it's similar to Khmer and Isan food. I saw a No Reservations episode and they have a dish similar to pho.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

it was like poison to me
If Laotian food is too spicy for you, you probably wouldn't survive in Indonesia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia