U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM

613 posts, read 891,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Since then, there has been more recent migration from China, this time all over China. There definitely is a major cultural gulf between Singaporeans and these 'mainland Chinese', with many people resenting the mass immigration. This applies also to Indians from India, Malaysians from Malaysia, Indonesians, and other Asians.
That makes sense. Within a few generations, culture and ethnic identity would grow apart. Would you say the gap between culturally rooted Singaporeans of any race and a recent immigrant of that same race, would be like that of an Italian-American compared to an Italian straight from Europe? Or even say an African-American and a recent African immigrant? Or perhaps colonial stock Aussies vs. recent immigrant Brits?

Or would it be smaller than that, if the Chinese or Indian Singaporean still retained closer ties to the mother country compared to immigrants to "Anglo" nations.

Are there ever tensions between the two groups, recent immigrant versus old stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM

613 posts, read 891,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well, i'm sure i am a better person than Postman to answer that Markovian process, the Postman can give his inputs as well, but hey, the Postman though he knows Singapore well he is not Singaporean after all.. And doesnt speak Chinese...and he never really lived in Singapore !!!

I would saw most young Singaporeans don't trace the ancestry , we are all just Chinese Singaporeans, by dialect perhaps..

The is a strong divide between new immigrant Singaporeans and those who are born bred and live in Singapore.. I dont know much about the American old and new stock post revolutioin, but i would think it is pretty much similar
Oh right, I forgot, The Postman mentioned he's actually an Australian (of Singaporean descent), not Singaporean.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That makes sense. Would you say the gap between culturally rooted Singaporeans of any race and a recent immigrant of that same race, would be like that of an Italian-American compared to an Italian straight from Europe? Or even say an African-American and a recent African immigrant? Or perhaps colonial stock Aussies vs. recent immigrant Brits?

Are there ever tensions between the two groups, recent immigrant versus old stock?
Yes there are small tension betweens recent immigrants and old stock, but we do not show it too obviously..

Recently there have been a lot of complaints about Pinoys. They produced a video promoting Singaporean tourism that was subjected to backlash for being poorly done..

There was supposed to be an event for Pinoys to celebrate their interpendence day.. Which locals are not too happy about either

Singaporeans complain a lot online and are keyboard warriors but always hesitant to protest or do some concrete action about it..

Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Singaporeans protesting over Philippines Independence Day held at Takashimaya | The Real Singapore

Hatred between Singaporeans and Pinoys: Urgent solution proposed | The Real Singapore

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM

STB takes down promo video after online criticism - Channel NewsAsia

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Well, i'm sure i am a better person than Postman to answer that Markovian process, the Postman can give his inputs as well, but hey, the Postman though he knows Singapore well he is not Singaporean after all.. And doesnt speak Chinese...and he never really lived in Singapore !!!

I would saw most young Singaporeans don't trace the ancestry , we are all just Chinese Singaporeans, by dialect perhaps..

The is a strong divide between new immigrant Singaporeans and those who are born bred and live in Singapore.. I dont know much about the American old and new stock post revolutioin, but i would think it is pretty much similar
Maybe not as much as you, but I still think my input is valuable. My mother is still Singaporean, after all, and I have relatives there. I go back frequently and know quite a bit about Singapore.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That makes sense. Within a few generations, culture and ethnic identity would grow apart. Would you say the gap between culturally rooted Singaporeans of any race and a recent immigrant of that same race, would be like that of an Italian-American compared to an Italian straight from Europe? Or even say an African-American and a recent African immigrant? Or perhaps colonial stock Aussies vs. recent immigrant Brits?

Or would it be smaller than that, if the Chinese or Indian Singaporean still retained closer ties to the mother country compared to immigrants to "Anglo" nations.

Yes I'd say so, although in Singapore Mandarin-speaking Singaporeans probably relate better to these people from China than those who don't speak it as their major language.

A Singaporean, for instance, with have been more inculcated with western ideas, the English language, western media pop culture, will likely enjoy a wide range of cuisines from fish ball soup, chicken rice, nasi lemak, biryani, a South Indian thali, curry chicken, mee pok, be familiar with various cultures, more travelled, whereas a typical Chinese from Henan would be seen as a 'country hick' by them.

Well I think a sense of Singaporean identity really grew in the post war period. The government emphasised Singapore's multicultural character. 3 Races, 4 official languages and all that. All Singaporeans get along now and most think of themselves as Singaporean first.

There are some tensions, no doubt, but it's probably a topic singaporelady could tell you about more.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yes there are small tension betweens recent immigrants and old stock, but we do not show it too obviously..

Recently there have been a lot of complaints about Pinoys. They produced a video promoting Singaporean tourism that was subjected to backlash for being poorly done..

There was supposed to be an event for Pinoys to celebrate their interpendence day.. Which locals are not too happy about either

Singaporeans complain a lot online and are keyboard warriors but always hesitant to protest or do some concrete action about it..
You seen the film Ilo Ilo? I really want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISovsVvX8Bg

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,476,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You seen the film Ilo Ilo? I really want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISovsVvX8Bg
Is it just me or did that trailer spoiled most of the movie?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
a small group of people with a great deal time on their hands want to know all about racial issues and where to go for the interracial dating scene. they dont seem to be much interested in talking about anything else. its usually the same people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or