U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,274,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe not as much as you, but I still think my input is valuable. My mother is still Singaporean, after all, and I have relatives there. I go back frequently and know quite a bit about Singapore.
Yeah i know.. I have mentioned you know quite a lot about Singapore for someone who doesnt live here.. And i have also said you will give your input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This would probably explain why we are not happy about it...

We are against them using the Singapore skyline in their logo for their Philippine Independence Day logo & posters, Facebook page, websites, etc.

We are against them in using the terms "Two Nations" and "Inter-dependence" in their Philippine Independence Day celebration posters. Singapore only observe and celebrate our own National Day on the 9th of August and we DO NOT and WILL NOT have a joint-celebration of "Inter-dependence" with another sovereign state. Their event is insinuating a very serious and misleading assumption; which we Singaporeans have never endorsed.
I don't know why that's a big deal. If they're Filipinos living in Singapore, why does it offend the Singaporeans that they celebrate both national days? They obviously have something from both cultures, and they are celebrating them. What is so offensive about it?

They are celebrating IN SINGAPORE, what's the big deal if they use the Singapore skyline? Also, whatever is inter-dependence that they are using are not officially sanctioned by either the Philippine government or the Singaporean government. I believe it's just a private thing. Why would Singaporeans endorse any joint celebration with the Philippines if they have never been in the Philippines? Likewise, Filipinos who do not live or work in Singapore do not celebrate any "inter-dependence". It's just the Filipino community in Singapore who are doing this. Maybe "inter-dependence" or whatever they are using is of bad taste, but in my opinion, Singaporeans who are opposing this are overly sensitive. Actually, my guess is that this is not the true issue. It's probably Singaporeans feel there are too many Filipinos working in Singapore nowadays.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't know why that's a big deal. If they're Filipinos living in Singapore, why does it offend the Singaporeans that they celebrate both national days? They obviously have something from both cultures, and they are celebrating them. What is so offensive about it?

They are celebrating IN SINGAPORE, what's the big deal if they use the Singapore skyline? Also, whatever is inter-dependence that they are using are not officially sanctioned by either the Philippine government or the Singaporean government. I believe it's just a private thing. Why would Singaporeans endorse any joint celebration with the Philippines if they have never been in the Philippines? Likewise, Filipinos who do not live or work in Singapore do not celebrate any "inter-dependence". It's just the Filipino community in Singapore who are doing this. Maybe "inter-dependence" or whatever they are using is of bad taste, but in my opinion, Singaporeans who are opposing this are overly sensitive. Actually, my guess is that this is not the true issue. It's probably Singaporeans feel there are too many Filipinos working in Singapore nowadays.
All I can say is this issue is getting big and an issue in Singapore.. Now fillipinos, what if next Americans ask to celebrate July 4 and PRCs celebrate 1 oct in a public event and public area in Singapore too ?? Why becomes of our aug 9 ??

Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Quote:
All I can say is this issue is getting big and an issue in Singapore.. Now fillipinos, what if next Americans ask to celebrate July 4 and PRCs celebrate 1 oct in a public event and public area in Singapore too ?? Why becomes of our aug 9 ??
So what do you think of the netizens calling Filipinos all kinds of names like vermin or ****heads? Condescending and mean-spirited. Singapore might have problems with immigration, but it's Singaporeans who are demanding domestic help so they can slave away in the office to buy that condo and car, and send their children to NUS or better still overseas to study. There is a an ugly streak of racism in Singapore, no doubt about it. Maybe some kiasu Singaporeans feel threatened?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So what do you think of the netizens calling Filipinos all kinds of names like vermin or ****heads? Condescending and mean-spirited. Singapore might have problems with immigration, but it's Singaporeans who are demanding domestic help so they can slave away in the office to buy that condo and car, and send their children to NUS or better still overseas to study. There is a an ugly streak of racism in Singapore, no doubt about it. Maybe some kiasu Singaporeans feel threatened?
Yes ultimately I agree it is all about feeling threatened ..I never said Singaporeans are angels .. They want their help so that they can work and improve their quality of life but want this and that

Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Quote:
Yes ultimately I agree it is all about feeling threatened ..I never said Singaporeans are angels .. They want their help so that they can work and improve their quality of life but want this and that
What other things have they demanded that is too much?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM

939 posts, read 1,263,038 times
Never understood the Asia forum. Who cares who looks like who, or which country's women look the hottest? Can we get back to discussing cultures and cities? Or is this forum infested with people with Asian fetishes?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,479,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Never understood the Asia forum. Who cares who looks like who, or which country's women look the hottest? Can we get back to discussing cultures and cities? Or is this forum infested with people with Asian fetishes?
I have been trying to clean up the Asia Forum, as requested by the members, however, my plate is pretty full and finding time is difficult to do. As such, it would be a great help if people would report the posts. That way it becomes a priority for me and I can help to fix it. As it stands, the time constraints on reading everything is the problem. if it's pointed out in a report, I can take time to take care of it.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM

143 posts, read 152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why are some people so obsessed with the real and imagined racial compositions of people living in the nations discussed in the Asia forum? What difference does it make if a Filipino "looks more Chinese"?
Asians are either yellow or brown skin. They look all the same to me. I don't think it is a race per se. It is about the clan/tribe/ethnicity/region. I wonder about all the motives behind the questions posted in this forum.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,372,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
Asians are either yellow or brown skin. They look all the same to me. I don't think it is a race per se. It is about the clan/tribe/ethnicity/region. I wonder about all the motives behind the questions posted in this forum.
My girl is Hunanese and her skin is nearly as pale as mine (I'm ethnically Scandanavian). She has high cheekbones and a very small cleft in her chin, and a tiny row of freckles. Doesn't sound very Asian, but if you saw her, thats immediately what you'd peg her as being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or