Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

China is the 4th most visited country in the world with about 60 million visitors, yet, for some reason, it doesn't seem as visited by budget travellers/backpacker types as Thailand. Maybe it is, but I don't know, tourism there seems more urban-orientated as well to Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an etc. There seems even a sheepish trend to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (people who wouldn't have dreamed of visiting those places 15 years ago) but how come not as much China?

I would say the main exception being Yunnan province, which is sometimes part of the 'banana pancake trail.'

Maybe it's stereotypes about China, the comparative lack of warm clean beaches (well tourist beaches in Thailand are getting filthy), and I don't know, Western tourists to China seem to be more of a different market. Generally a bit more well-heeled, culture types, families, versus the hedonistic types who just go to the Full moon party or want to do cheap drugs in Vang Vieng.

While we're at it, Malaysia seems less popular among European backpackers as well for some reason. Given the fact it really isnt' much more expensive than Thailand, it's English speaking, has excellent nature, food.etc it makes me wonder. Malaysia still boasts respectable numbers, and would still have more than Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, but still lags behind Thailand a fair bit.

I think it's just like I said a sheeplike mentality with travelling and the fact that it's harder to be just hedonistic in those places. They're all great, don't get me wrong, but parts of them have been sort of ruined by tourists. Could say the same about parts of China, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Language barrier may be an issue. The vast majority of Chinese people do not speak English and the signs are often in Chinese only. Local people often assume you speak Chinese and talk back to you in Chinese.

China is not a "romantic" place either. Many young single travelers actually want to have some "romance" on the way...

Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Language barrier may be an issue. The vast majority of Chinese people do not speak English and the signs are often in Chinese only. Local people often assume you speak Chinese and talk back to you in Chinese.

China is not a "romantic" place either. Many young single travelers actually want to have some "romance" on the way...
Yes, that is particularly the case in rural China. In some towns you can't find any signage in English.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I once read that getting a China tourist visa (at least in the USA) is limited to 30 days and single entry. Not cool if you're a backpacker given it's size. Next to SE Asia, it's also not that cheap in the bigger more attractive cities, and the western part of the country doesn't seem so appealing for the average partying, beachhead.

Restricted social media also probably plays a part.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I once read that getting a China tourist visa (at least in the USA) is limited to 30 days and single entry. Not cool if you're a backpacker given it's size. Next to SE Asia, it's also not that cheap in the bigger more attractive cities, and the western part of the country doesn't seem so appealing for the average partying, beachhead.

Restricted social media also probably plays a part.
But Americans only constitute a pretty small contingent of backpackers to SEA anyway...

Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
You know chinese people arent that adventurous compared to people to anglosphere nations.. They prefer laid back and customised holidays rather than the rugged and do it yourself trips..

A guide used to tell me the difference between asian and non asian travellers.. asian travellers avoid direct contact with the sun and always look for shade whereas non asian like to soak in the sun..

I think there is some element of truth at least in the sunbathing aspect...

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
But Americans only constitute a pretty small contingent of backpackers to SEA anyway...
I meant that it might be the same for other countries like Australia, those in Western Europe, Canada, NZ, Israel, etc who seem to be everywhere.

Edit: yeah, standard tourist visa is single entry and 30 days validity. Too big a country, too inconvenient, and too little time for average budget person. SEA is either visa free or visa on arrival. I think that makes it or breaks it for many people who don't have the time to be mailing stuff or travelling to consulates. India suffers the same kind of problem. It's not accessible enough to travel there and isn't considered hip for the time being.

Last edited by Jesse44; 04-10-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
You know chinese people arent that adventurous compared to people to anglosphere nations.. They prefer laid back and customised holidays rather than the rugged and do it yourself trips..

A guide used to tell me the difference between asian and non asian travellers.. asian travellers avoid direct contact with the sun and always look for shade whereas non asian like to soak in the sun..

I think there is some element of truth at least in the sunbathing aspect...
They go everywhere but they do tend to travel more in groups...

as for backpackers i meet here, they're mostly Europeans. I hardly meet any Americans. As for the Asians, it's usually Koreans, Japanese, a few Taiwanese, very rarely anyone else.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
They go everywhere but they do tend to travel more in groups...

as for backpackers i meet here, they're mostly Europeans. I hardly meet any Americans. As for the Asians, it's usually Koreans, Japanese, a few Taiwanese, very rarely anyone else.
Yeah, normally asian like to go for tour packages with iternaries planned etc...

Among asians.. Japanese and Koreans and Indians seems to be the only ones who don't mind the sun...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM

That's true, fair skin is the standard of beauty all throughout Asia, from the Middle East to Japan to Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia