U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386

Advertisements

I've been to Wuhan twice but that was years ago.

Wuhan is one of the biggest cities in China. Not on the same level as Beijing or Shanghai but it can easily make top 8 in China. Other than NYC, LA and Chicago, no American city is bigger than Wuhan.

Wuhan is extremely humid and hot in summer, even by China's standard. Sometimes the MINIMUM temperature of a day reaches 30 C. In old days many people slept outside in summer because it was impossible to fall in sleep indoors.
On the other hand winters are miserably cold without heating. It snows a couple of times every year.

The landscape is unique with two big rivers and some hills. It is the biggest inland harbor in China too. There are many universities as well as huge state-run corporations. Local cuisine tends to be spicy with a mixture of northern and southern styles. Local dialect is a variant of Mandarin but most people from north China have a hard time understanding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I've been to Wuhan twice but that was years ago.

Wuhan is one of the biggest cities in China. Not on the same level as Beijing or Shanghai but it can easily make top 8 in China. Other than NYC, LA and Chicago, no American city is bigger than Wuhan.

Wuhan is extremely humid and hot in summer, even by China's standard. Sometimes the MINIMUM temperature of a day reaches 30 C. In old days many people slept outside in summer because it was impossible to fall in sleep indoors.
On the other hand winters are miserably cold without heating. It snows a couple of times every year.

The landscape is unique with two big rivers and some hills. It is the biggest inland harbor in China too. There are many universities as well as huge state-run corporations. Local cuisine tends to be spicy with a mixture of northern and southern styles. Local dialect is a variant of Mandarin but most people from north China have a hard time understanding it.
Along with Chongqing and Nanjing it's one of the 'three furnaces' of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Reputation: 4093
Interesting, I have never associated China with hot weather - but considering how massive it is it is not surprising. So what is the visa situation like, me a Brit, would it be easy to holiday there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Interesting, I have never associated China with hot weather - but considering how massive it is it is not surprising. So what is the visa situation like, me a Brit, would it be easy to holiday there?
Most of China is hot in summer. Not as hot as the middle east but hotter than Europe. In Wuhan the daily high exceeds 30 C almost every day during June - August, and 35+ is common.

A tourist visa should be easy to obtain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
Reputation: 4857
Damn China has many hot places, i always used to think that only cities in the 11 most Southern provinces (Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Hainan, Guangdong, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, Zhejiang, Sichuan and Chongqing) averaged yearly temperatures of 20+ degrees celsius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Hot indeed...due to it's continental climate winters are also cold in much of the country, winters in Wuhan often fall below freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Damn China has many hot places, i always used to think that only cities in the 11 most Southern provinces (Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Hainan, Guangdong, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, Zhejiang, Sichuan and Chongqing) averaged yearly temperatures of 20+ degrees celsius.
Yunnan, Guizhou and western Sichuan are cool in summer.

Actually only Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian have 20+ degrees on yearly average, but the other provinces are often hotter in summer. The subtropical high often controls central China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yunnan, Guizhou and western Sichuan are cool in summer.

Actually only Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian have 20+ degrees on yearly average, but the other provinces are often hotter in summer. The subtropical high often controls central China.
And Hainan, of course, the only tropical part of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Wuhan is a massive city, the biggest in central China. Westerners only know about Shanghai and Beijing, but Wuhan is as large as Chicago, with a per capita GDP of US$18,000 (PPP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Wuhan is a massive city, the biggest in central China. Westerners only know about Shanghai and Beijing, but Wuhan is as large as Chicago, with a per capita GDP of US$18,000 (PPP).
Impressive, it's only the 10th city (not incl. HK and Taipei) that comes to my mind when thinking of China.

1.Shanghai
2.Beijing
3.Macau
4.Tianjin
5.Guangzhou
6.Chongqing

7-9 (no order):
Chengdu
Xi'an
Shenzhen

10.Wuhan

11-15 (no order):
Harbin
Shenyang
Dalian
Nanjing
Kunming

16-20 (no order)
Urumqi
Lhasa
Suzhou
Hangzhou
Zhengzhou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top