U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM

164 posts, read 219,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't really see what China would gain by Taiwan, Taiwan is doing very well on it's own, especially considering the political ramifications of it. Taiwan should gain independence soon.

Chinese may think you as the "western hostile forces."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
The Chinese government only broadcasts want they deem 'proper'. This, along with internet censorship, gives the government immense power as far as what the populace thinks. I've been here in Nanging for a week, and CCTV is the only broadcast TV, and has one English channel (all news) that I've been watching.
I believe (as long as we are stating facts pulled from the anatomy where the sun don't shine) that educated Chinese, who have traveled abroad, would give just about anything to immigrate to the U.S., and have the freedoms and opportunities we take for granted. The fact that a visa to the U.S. is very hard to get, tells me that my belief is true.
Honestly, most Chinese won't believe so. Chinese government usually remind people what happened the collapse of Soviet Union. They always describe the whites as "hypocrite", and they believe that western ideology won't work in China and western ego made Uncle Sam's trouble in Korea War and Vietnam War. The ego of Americans made America's numerous unsuccessful and "never learn the history."

Young generation (still a fraction of whole young generation) mostly want to study/travel for being eye opener, it is difficult to say whether or not they want to stay in the long-term overseas.

Anyway, l agree with Singapore former PM Lee Kuan Yew about China: I do not think China will move toward U.S kind of society, they will take Taiwan back sooner and later and force U.S military out of S. Korea and Japan.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
if the Chinese take over the US can you put in a good word for me? I'd also like a nice place on the St Croix River if that is still available at that time.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if the Chinese take over the US can you put in a good word for me? I'd also like a nice place on the St Croix River if that is still available at that time.
I do not think Chinese want to take over the U.S, they simply want to take all disputed area back...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

183 posts, read 210,060 times
Before criticizing the US, the Chinese here on the forum should question the legitimacy of its own government and its policies.
China has no press freedom, poor civil rights, repetitively offends human rights and its cities are so polluted that the smog spills over to other countries.
Why do people here make China sound like a rose garden? Have you heard of Chen Guangcheng, the blind dissident who was put in house arrest for years for advocating basic human rights?? How did the Chinese press report on him?
CCTV is so tightly controlled that it makes my ears bleed every time I try to watch it.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Chinese may think you as the "western hostile forces."
I've been to Taiwan. It's a clean, modern, safe, developed city, people are friendly and open, civilised, well-mannered and increasingly aware of things like the environment. I think it going back to China might ruin it.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,936,915 times
Single party rule can’t go on forever. The problem for Taiwan is not reunification with China, but reunification under the Communist party. They want “one country, one good system.” The recent corruption investigations and trials illustrate that the party is just a bunch of cronies skimming off whatever they can get. President Xi see the danger, which is why he’s cracking down so hard, but it may be too late.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Single party rule can’t go on forever. The problem for Taiwan is not reunification with China, but reunification under the Communist party. They want “one country, one good system.” The recent corruption investigations and trials illustrate that the party is just a bunch of cronies skimming off whatever they can get. President Xi see the danger, which is why he’s cracking down so hard, but it may be too late.
Right. Most people don't know the Chinese busiess and simplified it as an evil China vs democratic Taiwan thing. It is far from that simple.

Xi is cracking down corruption hard, but I am afraid the result will be short lived. Local governments always have ways to bypass any good policy. China's problem is deeper than just corruption, and there is no good quick solution. It is easy to judge China's problems, but finding the right solution while protecting the general people avoiding social unrest is not that easy.

If CCP steps down tomorrow and adopts democracy like USSR did, there will be chaos and the people will be worse off for sure.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,668,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Actually, Chinese people (not government, of course) are supporting Russia because Putin uses Russians' super power to challenge Uncle Sam's hegemony. Many Chinese believe that U.S is the key reason China cannot take Taiwan back and believe that sooner or later, China can get Taiwan back.

There is controversy in Chinese people about Obama. Senior Chinese people believe that Obama is a very soft leader in U.S political history, claiming that he is nail-biting toward many situations and have to use his power to solve problem rather than reach agreement internally....For young generation, Obama is role model and believe that if Chinese moving slowly toward democratic reform, there is a chance that similar background maybe in the China central leadership.

The best US politician in last 30 years. Many answers, but most of them knew nothing except President, Secretary of State, and Defense Secretary. However, I found a unique answer: Iowa governor, Terry Branstad from a mid-30s Chinese friend's friend. This guy was in U.S for some years, having the the most negative view on Upper Midwest and believe that Upper Midwest people willing to confront any situations, while southern guys have real "mouth" power to confrontation..He also say: If Ron Paul (or his son) elected as President, it will be a great contribution to world peace...
Well if the Chinese people hate what the US has done, then they have double standards and are idiots for then supporting what Russia is doing in Ukraine. If they believe what the US has done in Iraq or even Afghanistan is wrong (as I also do, as an American) then to keep that logic, they need to also be strongly against what Russia is doing! So by having that double standard they are just showing that they do not, in fact, have any moral standards.

I say this knowing a lot of Americans have the same double standard, being supportive of what we've done and being strongly against what Russia is doing- and I say those same folks are also idiots. But I know Chinese who feel their nation is on such a higher moral level than we are here, and sit back and nit-pick everything we do, and rightfully so are against our military escapades around the globe- but to sit there and then support what Russia is doing just removes ALL credibility they have, and they are NO BETTER than those ignorant, flag-waving Americans who support our military actions.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Crimea and Iraq/Afghanistan are completely different matters, aren't they?
Crimea is mostly Russian spoken, used to be part of Russia and they voted to be part of Russia (over 95%). The president asked Putin to interfere.

Can't say the same for Iraq/Afghanistan, which is 100% military invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or