U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Washington State
18,487 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Reputation: 15768

Advertisements

I think we (USA) needs to return to its isolationist policies we had before WWII and let all the petty disagreements between peoples and nations follow its natural course of fighting and ethic cleansing that occurred regularly before we got involved so much in world affairs.

I worked in China on several occasions and felt little resentment or animosity from most Chinese...so I question the 90% claim unless the Chinese Govt has recently enacted a policy to stir up the populace in this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Most Chinese seem to have a pretty positive view of America. I mean basketball is so popular there for instance, as well as American chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think we (USA) needs to return to its isolationist policies we had before WWII and let all the petty disagreements between peoples and nations follow its natural course of fighting and ethic cleansing that occurred regularly before we got involved so much in world affairs.

.
no it won't.
America's foreign policy directly affects its power and influence, and therefore ability to extract profits from the rest of the world.

For example, Washington will loathe to see China and Japan become too cozy. It will do everything to prevent the Chinese yuan from arising to challenge the USD. What if the Saudi or Brazil start to use the Yuan for trading? that will be disaster.

Honestly, without the reserve status of the USD, America will be just a rich country. To maintain its status, it has to meddle with Asia, middle east, south Amerca, Europe, everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked in China on several occasions and felt little resentment or animosity from most Chinese...so I question the 90% claim unless the Chinese Govt has recently enacted a policy to stir up the populace in this way.
I currently live and work in China and don't agree with the spirit of the claim even if it may indeed be true that "90%" (we'll just assume that's a stand-in for "most") Chinese people think that the US is the biggest troublemaker on earth. On the one hand, I do agree with the idea that the US is the world's biggest troublemaker if nothing else because it's got its fingers in basically every pie in the planet... it simply has more opportunity to be a troublemaker than basically any other nation. The implications seems to be that the average Chinese person has a generally-negative view of America and Americans, and I haven't found that to be the case at all.

If the popularity of shirts, bags, hats, shoes, etc with the American flag over here is any indicator, even if people aren't totally thrilled with the US' foreign policy, they sure don't hate it... no, there has been no recent push to vilify America here, it's more or less business as usual.

Anecdotally, I came back from Hong Kong today and had to pass through immigration to re-enter the country. My coworker, a Korean national, and I decided to time how long it took different nationalities (based on what we could see of their passports) to get through customs and noticed that it seemed like Americans got through faster. Indeed, I got through in one minute and fifteen seconds; it took him four minutes and he's lived here for seven years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,669,534 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Crimea and Iraq/Afghanistan are completely different matters, aren't they?
Crimea is mostly Russian spoken, used to be part of Russia and they voted to be part of Russia (over 95%). The president asked Putin to interfere.

Can't say the same for Iraq/Afghanistan, which is 100% military invasion.
It is still a sovereign nation that Russia rolled into and took for their own without that nation's blessing. Ukraine had no say in whether the Crimea region had that vote, and the vote was overseen by Russian authorities- yeah, nothing shady there.

And now Russia is building up masses of troops and equipment on Ukraine's eastern border for a possible invasion of the rest of that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 02:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 8,937,946 times
Reputation: 3703
The irony is that with North America becoming energy independent in the next few years, the biggest beneficiary of the Uncle Sam’s policing role in the Middle East will be … China. The world likes to moan and complain about U.S. and its meddling, but the Pentagon is the indispensable player that keeps the whole global system working. China knows this. For example, if there were to be a war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, there is nothing they could do about it. Today, China gets to develop its economy in a peaceful world with a steady supply of oil. That’s not such a bad deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,487 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Reputation: 15768
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
no it won't.
America's foreign policy directly affects its power and influence, and therefore ability to extract profits from the rest of the world.

For example, Washington will loathe to see China and Japan become too cozy. It will do everything to prevent the Chinese yuan from arising to challenge the USD. What if the Saudi or Brazil start to use the Yuan for trading? that will be disaster.

Honestly, without the reserve status of the USD, America will be just a rich country. To maintain its status, it has to meddle with Asia, middle east, south Amerca, Europe, everything.
Seemed like you were objecting to my contention that there would be many more wars if the USA left he world stage and then talked about a completely different subject, the US Dollar as a world currency. I doubt anybody posting on City Data (including you and I) has figured out what would happen in that case.

The USA has invented computers, internet, atomic bombs, put the only men on the moon...I would be much more worried if we lost our tech edge than if our currency is traded in a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
I do not think Chinese want to take over the U.S, they simply want to take all disputed area back...
oh OK, but if you change your mind, I will be willing to tattle on people that aren't cooperating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've been to Taiwan. It's a clean, modern, safe, developed city, people are friendly and open, civilised, well-mannered and increasingly aware of things like the environment. I think it going back to China might ruin it.
Neither China nor Taiwan are stupid... both ultimately want the same thing, which is the reunification of China and Taiwan, but they have drastically different ideas about how China should be run and neither is going to capitulate any time soon.

The KMT governing China is unrealistic, and the Taiwanese are generally uninterested in returning to CCP rule. Taiwan is a very valuable trade and IP partner for the Chinese mainland, and messing with them too much would be a mistake at this point. I think that at some point in the future - i.e., some time between a few decades from now and possibly after most of us here are dead - Taiwan will indeed return to China, but it's impossibly to speculate on the circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Neither China nor Taiwan are stupid... both ultimately want the same thing, which is the reunification of China and Taiwan, but they have drastically different ideas about how China should be run and neither is going to capitulate any time soon.

The KMT governing China is unrealistic, and the Taiwanese are generally uninterested in returning to CCP rule. Taiwan is a very valuable trade and IP partner for the Chinese mainland, and messing with them too much would be a mistake at this point. I think that at some point in the future - i.e., some time between a few decades from now and possibly after most of us here are dead - Taiwan will indeed return to China, but it's impossibly to speculate on the circumstances.
Maybe, but there's a growing independence movement in Taiwan. Taiwan has been doing it's own thing longer than the United States, don't underestimate local Taiwanese identity, especially a greater acknowledgement of it's aboriginal identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top