U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 10,118 times

Advertisements

It is not true, Taiwan has a lot of political and economic issues in the 21st century, some are directly or indirectly related to Mainland China.

Taiwan now is having a comparatively weak economic performance. The students protestors in Taipei recently oppose to closer economic ties with Mainland China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
China has no intention to annex Taiwan, at least for the foreseeable future, because like you said, Taiwan is doing well and China only wants to deepen the ties.

However, if Taiwan does declare independence, China will not hesitate to attack it, no matter what the west does. There is no question about it. I don't think Taiwan has any chance of being independent without some sort of a third world war, and I am not sure if the US has the apetite for that. China hates wars and will do everything to avoid it, but when it comes to Taiwan, they won't hesitate for a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,580 times
U.S is not a troublemaker.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 AM

7 posts, read 10,118 times
No, it is not true. When they get to know more about America, they usually view it more negatively. Most ordinary Chinese don't know very much about America. The Chinese seem to agree very much when their government criticized the US and Japanese governments and organisations. US and Japan are the most criticized countries by the Chinese governments. The anti-American sentiment in China is of course much more mild than the anti-Japanese sentiment, and American-Chinese personal friendships, dating and marriages are not controversies in China. The Chinese do thank the Americans for crushing the Japanese in world war 2. Chinese don't really hate Americans, just a bit of dislike like other countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman
Most Chinese seem to have a pretty positive view of America. I mean basketball is so popular there for instance, as well as American chains.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Seemed like you were objecting to my contention that there would be many more wars if the USA left he world stage and then talked about a completely different subject, the US Dollar as a world currency. I doubt anybody posting on City Data (including you and I) has figured out what would happen in that case.

The USA has invented computers, internet, atomic bombs, put the only men on the moon...I would be much more worried if we lost our tech edge than if our currency is traded in a different way.
I can only say you seriously underestimate the importance of reserve currency status for the US. The US has repeatedly used its monetary policy to rob the world (southeast Asia, Latin America, Europe).

Most people would think that counts is technology and innovation... I wish it were true and maybe it is for other countries, but not for the US. But one requires significant finance background to appreciate the correlation.

American troops and the USD are what keep the US strong. Not Silicon Valley (not that it is not important).

I agree that there would be more wars without the US foreign policy, but let's not kid ourselves, the US, not others, benefit most from it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monim1 View Post
I don't think so. I am Asian and personally i don't think that U.S.A is the trouble maker.
many troubles are indirectly instigated by the US. Many of us simply don't know all about it.

For example the US would LOOOOVE to see the euro zone collapse, or at least remain weak. It would also enjoy seeing China and Japan antagnizing each other.

The US only accounts for 21% of world GDP now, but it keeps pretending the share is 45%... things will gradually change and someday it won't be capable to acting like a world cop.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It is still a sovereign nation that Russia rolled into and took for their own without that nation's blessing. Ukraine had no say in whether the Crimea region had that vote, and the vote was overseen by Russian authorities- yeah, nothing shady there.

And now Russia is building up masses of troops and equipment on Ukraine's eastern border for a possible invasion of the rest of that country.
yeah, on the other hand, China is not a sovereign nation and Tibet should be allowed free to go.
That's how the west applies its double standard.

as to "possible invation of the rest of that country", really? So I guess American troops in South Korea is for possible invasion of east Asia?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
The World; "wahhhhhhh, there's never a cop around when you need one!"

Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The World; "wahhhhhhh, there's never a cop around when you need one!"
a cop is supposed to keep order and justice as his job, not to just suit his own selfish needs.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM

183 posts, read 210,172 times
And yet all of you trash America on an American website. Oh the irony...
I found it funny to watch the UN general assembly take a vote on Crimea last month. The ones siding with Russia backing the annexation were the ones like Syria, North Korea and Venezuela.
The ones abstaining we're interesting too, all developing countries including the BRIC countries China, India and Brazil.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 PM

164 posts, read 220,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
American troops and the USD are what keep the US strong. Not Silicon Valley (not that it is not important).

I agree that there would be more wars without the US foreign policy, but let's not kid ourselves, the US, not others, benefit most from it.
Agree with your first sentence.

Disagree with the second one. Your argument is maybe the fundamental assumption of US foreign policy, maybe probably the reason why US military lost numerous life and failed in many wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or