U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Your point on Viet Nam is fallacious....it was the sorriest POTUS of the past century ...LBJ... that escalated that atrocity to insane levels and Nixon had to figure out a way to get us the hell out of there...which he eventually did. ...The lying bastard was allowed to leave the White House and retire to Texas - Democratic Underground
It's not fallacious because those are the two things people associate him with in the US: Watergate and Vietnam. LBJ may have been utterly awful but he doesn't garner the same reactions of revulsion that Nixon does. It may be the case that Nixon's looked upon more sympathetically in China though I haven't ever discussed him with anyone here; that's what I was addressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:53 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,120,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well again, I can access news on CNN, Fox, MSNBC, BBC, AJ, etc here in China. I read an article on the 20tj anniversary of the Tianenmen Square riots and articles about Tibet, etc on my phone while I'm on the Metro, not using a VPN. I can have this discussion with you without a VPN, too. Any other Chinese person could do the same, and there are ways to use proxies without paying a subscription that many people take advantage of. I'm not saying that the censorship doesn't exist or is good, but the extent to which it's prevalent is massively overblown in Western media.

Oh I know you can access Western media. I have friends in Shanghai and Hong Kong. The only issue is that while you have access it is controlled. There are certain articles and opinions that wont be accessible. Not to mention a 500K cyber army who patrols all internet sites to steer the opinions on China. What you see is the careful conditioning of the citizens but again its not just China that practices this. The US is guilty as well.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 PM

2,778 posts, read 3,078,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Actually, Chinese people (not government, of course) are supporting Russia because Putin uses Russians' super power to challenge Uncle Sam's hegemony. Many Chinese believe that U.S is the key reason China cannot take Taiwan back and believe that sooner or later, China can get Taiwan back.

There is controversy in Chinese people about Obama. Senior Chinese people believe that Obama is a very soft leader in U.S political history, claiming that he is nail-biting toward many situations and have to use his power to solve problem rather than reach agreement internally....For young generation, Obama is role model and believe that if Chinese moving slowly toward democratic reform, there is a chance that similar background maybe in the China central leadership.

The best US politician in last 30 years. Many answers, but most of them knew nothing except President, Secretary of State, and Defense Secretary. However, I found a unique answer: Iowa governor, Terry Branstad from a mid-30s Chinese friend's friend. This guy was in U.S for some years, having the the most negative view on Upper Midwest and believe that Upper Midwest people willing to confront any situations, while southern guys have real "mouth" power to confrontation..He also say: If Ron Paul (or his son) elected as President, it will be a great contribution to world peace...
In reference to your friend that had such a negative view of the Midwest, was he a friend of one of the six Chinese Ag Scientists that were recently arrested by the FBI for trying to steal highly valuable designer seed corn from fields in Kansas and Iowa ? Did he not like Governor Branstad because of his in depth knowledge of agribusiness, proficiency in negotiating fair trade agreements for Iowa farmers? Did he know any of those "scientists", or the ringleader, a CEO thief from a Chinese conglomerate that was leading their efforts. They were reported to have been on hands and knees crawling thru our fields, stealing ears of corn from our nation's heartland. Not sure what you were trying to say about Governor Branstad, but he is an excellent Governor and is close to becoming the longest serving Governor in US political history, because he is an excellent leader for Iowa. He is not a chump for Chinese officials that have no respect for fair trade, fair currency exchange rates, patents, intellectual property, or copyright laws.

Here's the story on the failed plunder, seems they were messing around in Arkansas as well,

Chinese Ag Scientists Charged With Stealing Patented Seeds : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 05-03-2014, 11:35 PM

22,221 posts, read 23,735,900 times
The second largest geopolitical force in the world thinks the largest geopolitical force is doing it wrong? Amazing!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM

6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't really see what China would gain by Taiwan, Taiwan is doing very well on it's own, especially considering the political ramifications of it. Taiwan should gain independence soon.
From a Taiwanese POV,this is SO wrong.We want independence asap(well we are kind of independent now as we have our own laws and governments and stuffs,it's more about getting universal recognition),but it's impossible at the state,and we are so not doing very well on our own,at least hasn't been doing well for years.

Taiwan is not doing well at all,every indication shows the real intention of KMT(our ruling party) is to "get back" to China.Idk if you guys know there has been protests in Taiwan for over a month.Ma's government wanted the cross-strait agreement on services pass asap,and that agreement is one thing that'd strengthen the economic ties across the strait.That's the real goal of China,many Chinese people have become wealthy,war is no longer a good idea now,so an economic agreement is the best way to get Taiwan more dependent to China(Taiwan's already extremely dependent to China,thanks to all the moronic politicians we have had),so the annexation would be much much easier.If the peace accord is signed between both sides,the problem of Taiwan would turn into a domestic one instead of an international one,then US won't be able to interfere.Considering how disgusting Taiwan's politicians are,the timing is not in a too distant future.

Because of the protests and demonstrations,we understand how fake the democracy we are living in has been,the president is also the chief of KMT,and they use party discipline to control every member,and they are the majorities in the parliament,so whatever Ma wants,the bill will pass within 30 seconds.Now thank to the movements Taiwanese citizens start to care,but KMT is way too strong and wealthy,the threshold for deposition or referendum is higher than the highest heaven(KMT's conspiracy tbh),the media controlled by PRC and KMT keeps brain-washing the ignorant people.Now KMT has become even crazier that they interrogate people posting on their facebooks and wandering around the subways.Democracy?Give me a break.
The worst part is that most of the idiotic citizens still don't care and think the peaceful movements were riots,and still support KMT because of the pathetic culture of elections here,they have extremely unshakable base of votes that they're impossible to beat in elections.The future of this island is actually pretty hopeless.

Anyway back to topic,it's a complex of inferiority and arrogance imo.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-04-2014 at 01:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or