Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times

Advertisements

Meet Jokowi, the current Governor of Jakarta and Indonesian Presidential Candidate. If this guy wins, then metalheads worldwide can take pride in the fact that one of their own has succeeded in a field traditionally hostile to the metal genre (aka Politics), by reaching the highest elected post of his country. I wish him the best and hope he can bring that metal drive in moving Indonesia forward as a nation! \m/

Indonesian Presidental Candidate Joko Widodo is a Metalhead | MetalSucks

Quote:
Indonesian Presidental Candidate Joko Widodo is a Metalhead
FRIDAY, MARCH 21ST, 2014 AT 11:30AM BY AXL ROSENBERG

Indonesia’s next presidential election is this July, and while I won’t legally be allowed to vote, I now endorse Joko Widodo, current governor of Jakarta and candidate for the Democratic Party of Struggle, or PDI-P. I have no idea what where Widodo stands on any of the issues; for that matter, I have no idea what the issues even are in this particular election. Still, this passage from a recent Bloomberg profile of the candidate has me convinced he’s the right man for the job:

“Widodo has distanced himself from traditional politicians in other ways, from the way he dresses when meeting the public – - a plain white shirt and slacks as opposed the khaki-colored uniform of bureaucrats — to the way he gets to work, and the music he listens to. He lists heavy metal bands Metallica, Megadeth, Lamb of God and Napalm Death among his favorites.
“‘Rock music gives me motivation, gives me spirit about the environment, about the corruption, about justice,” he says. “The beat of the drum — boom, boom — gives me spirit.’”

Governor Widodo has also apparently promised that, if elected, he will prevent Wes Borland from ever returning to Jakarta. Okay, I may have made that last part up. But still! I bet it crossed it mind!
P.S. Anyone else think Widodo looks kinda like Gilbert Gottfried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Meet Jokowi, the current Governor of Jakarta and Indonesian Presidential Candidate. If this guy wins, then metalheads worldwide can take pride in the fact that one of their own has succeeded in a field traditionally hostile to the metal genre (aka Politics), by reaching the highest elected post of his country. I wish him the best and hope he can bring that metal drive in moving Indonesia forward as a nation! \m/
not only metalheads band, there are some very famous band which he liked including Gun'z Rosses etc.

Indonesian Presidential Candidates 2014, ( they all Javanese )
- Joko Widodo
- Prabowo Subianto
- Gita Wirjawan
- Aburizal Bakrie
- Wiranto

Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Well if he shows up then i will definitely vote for him! He is the only one who is actually promising and can bring this country to its full glory and prosperity. Ahok then can be governor of Jakarta and we all can be happy i always thought however that jokowis job in jakarta is not finished yet, but then if he do step up i suppose i want to see if he can manage to rule a huge mess like indonesia. He have been doing great job in his 1 year office in jakarta, there are so much obvious improvement despite flooding remaining a big problem, i wish he could stay longer before becoming the president of indonesia.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 AM

@Stevania - True what you said. I heard he attended Guns N' Roses when they went to Jakarta about a year and a half ago if I'm not mistaken. However, my point still stands about him potentially being the first Head of State who's known to be big into the metal music genre (or at the very least, the first one who's pretty open about being a fan).

@Goshio - I do get the impression that he seems to be the very best option in this year's Indonesian Presidential Election. In fact, a tour guide I had in SumUt last year vowed he'd go to the polls if Jokowi runs - and judging from recent news, I think he actually is! And yes, it's true some people in Jakarta are kind of disappointed he wouldn't be able finish his term as Governor. However, I think with Ahok, the city will be in pretty good hands - I doubt Jokowi would have picked him as his running mate in the Jakarta Gubernatorial Election if he didn't believe in his capabilities.

But regardless, I wish my sibling country Indonesia the best with this year's polls! To secure its future, I do believe the country needs a President who can pick up where Yudhyono leaves off - and outdo him in terms of accomplishments and reforming the nation into the modern, prosperous, unified country its 250 mln people deserve to have. If Jokowi indeed wins, I wish him the best during his term as President, and will hope (and pray) he lives up to the expectations a lot of people in the country seem to be placing on him.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
@Stevania - True what you said. I heard he attended Guns N' Roses when they went to Jakarta about a year and a half ago if I'm not mistaken. However, my point still stands about him potentially being the first Head of State who's known to be big into the metal music genre (or at the very least, the first one who's pretty open about being a fan).
thank you, I like him because of the attitude of simple and close to the people. Yeah true he love Music! I hope many which vote for him.
Guns N 'Roses also one of my favorite bands. sad ,I did not get a ticket when they concert in Jakarta.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:17 AM

Yes unfortunately being a good man like him means making a lot of enemies, there are some anti sentiment towards him despite what he does is all but good. Some complaints that he forcebly removed slums and displace them to government housing (despite the warning given bfore, the fact they settled on government land and come on they are even given a proper housing and not having to live in board shack anymore!) Every stupid minor issue are brought up by some media too, such us not improving flood, trafic and increasing fires. Though fire are caused by mostly bad slums, which many are extremely vulnerable to fire.

Ahok he will make a good governor for jakarta, definitely, we dont want fauzi bowo again ever! But because he is Christian there will be stupid fanatic fools and idiots who are paid by some rich fanatics to bring this stupid issue. Most if not all Muslim friends of mine definitely have zero problem of having non-Muslim taking care of the city and in fact many admires Ahoks consistency dealing with the citys problem and stupid-corrupt officials, so i hope whatever you see in tv will not make you judge indonesians as in general, this country too is not all about the Muslims.

Last edited by Goshio22; 03-23-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
thank you, I like him because of the attitude of simple and close to the people. Yeah true he love Music! I hope many which vote for him.
Guns N 'Roses also one of my favorite bands. sad ,I did not get a ticket when they concert in Jakarta.
True again! In fact I think the world as a whole needs more politicians who are simple and close to the people!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes unfortunately being a good man like him means making a lot of enemies, there are some anti sentiment towards him despite what he does is all but good. Some complaints that he forcebly removed slums and displace them to government housing (despite the warning given bfore, the fact they settled on government land and come on they are even given a proper housing and not having to live in board shack anymore!) Every stupid minor issue are brought up by some media too, such us not improving flood, trafic and increasing fires. Though fire are caused by mostly bad slums, which many are extremely vulnerable to fire.

Ahok he will make a good governor for jakarta, definitely, we dont want fauzi bowo again ever! But because he is Christian there will be stupid fanatic fools and idiots who are paid by some rich fanatics to bring this stupid issue. Most if not all Muslim friends of mine definitely have zero problem of having non-Muslim taking care of the city and in fact many admires Ahoks consistency dealing with the citys problem and stupid-corrupt officials, so i hope whatever you see in tv will not make you judge indonesians as in general, this country too is not all about the Muslims.

Sad but true - trying to do good for the public will make him enemies, especially amongst people who have vested interests in keeping the status quo! I hope that Jokowi can navigate around those people should he become President of Indonesia. Same goes for Ahok when he gets into the Governor of Jakarta post.

Don't worry about me judging Indonesia wrongly - I frequently visit it (helps that I have family living there), and I always have a great time when there. As a result, I know very well that the stuff that the international media tends to focus on when it comes to your country isn't the complete picture, and because of that knowledge I will always dig deeper to know what's actually happening on the ground.

Thank you (and all the other Indonesians here) for keeping the whole election in context for me. I wish you guys the best for the next several years...

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
I don't really keep up with Indonesian politics, that's more of a hobby for my parents but how is he compared to the other more...traditional candidates? From the little I've gleamed off from the web, he seems decent enough.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I don't really keep up with Indonesian politics, that's more of a hobby for my parents but how is he compared to the other more...traditional candidates? From the little I've gleamed off from the web, he seems decent enough.
Well he cleared up a little bit of corruption in the capital, we no longer need "orang dalam" to make ktp and driving license. There are just so much improvement in the city from his governorship, its his style that people admires, how he approach those in need and asked them about what they need, he actually go to those location before making a desicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia