U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

On average?

Japanese, Koreans, Mongolians, or un-sinicised Jurchen? Let's say, the average Japanese from Tokyo, Korean from Seoul, Mongolian from Ulan Bator, and Jurchen from just north of the Amur river.

Henan is in the heart of the north China plain and probably has a population most similar to the original Huaxia.

Some say Koreans are closer to Northern Han, others Japan (Japan might be closer to southern Han than Koreans). Mongolians are fairly close to Northern Han, as are Jurchen/Mongols, although Henanese are probably more central-north rather than north.

I'd say Mongolia and Japan might actually be a bit closer then Korea and the Manchus. What do you think?

It's funny though Japanese often look very distinct yet sometimes can look sort of similar.

Last edited by The Postman; 04-15-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 88,382 times
Generally, a Northern Han is closer to a Korean and a Southern Han closer to a Miao or Hmong. Japanese and Koreans are nearly identical genetically.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromesaveur View Post
Generally, a Northern Han is closer to a Korean and a Southern Han closer to a Miao or Hmong. Japanese and Koreans are nearly identical genetically.
Hmong are odd...I think they often look pretty northern, yet some look southern. There's a theory they came from Mongolia and some are blonde. I wonder why blondeness never spread among other East Asians much.

Koreans and Japanese are definitely not genetically identical.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,077 times
I agree Koreans and Japanese are definitely not genetically identical. How can two groups of people from two different countries be genetically identical? If that is correct, they would not be classified into two different groups.

And according to some studies, Korean language has more similarities with Mongolian than Chinese.

un-sinicised Jurchen? There is no contemporary Jurchen people. Do you mean some Asian-looking people in Asian Russia? un-sinicised Jurchen is not the correct term for those people. They have other more proper terms. The largest desecendent of Jurchens is the Manchus and they are very sinicised, with look very similiar to the Northern Chinese.

Mongolians are always distinct from the Han. The Han had always wanted to keep them away, they had a history of invading Han populated area many times. There has always been very little mixing between Outer Mongolia and China proper.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkabk View Post
I agree Koreans and Japanese are definitely not genetically identical. How can two groups of people from two different countries be genetically identical? If that is correct, they would not be classified into two different groups.

And according to some studies, Korean language has more similarities with Mongolian than Chinese.

un-sinicised Jurchen? There is no contemporary Jurchen people. Do you mean some Asian-looking people in Asian Russia? un-sinicised Jurchen is not the correct term for those people. They have other more proper terms. The largest desecendent of Jurchens is the Manchus and they are very sinicised, with look very similiar to the Northern Chinese.

Mongolians are always distinct from the Han. The Han had always wanted to keep them away, they had a history of invading Han populated area many times. There has always been very little mixing between Outer Mongolia and China proper.
Yeah Korean is definitely closer to Mongolian than Chinese sans borrowings...some place it in the Altaic language family. Mongolians and Koreans have many affinities.

Well maybe they're not called that today. But yeah, similar people living in Russia today. But yeah, Manchus in general look sort of Korean-Siberian-Chinese.

Yes, they seem culturally distinct, although genetically about as similar to northern Han as Koreans are.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 AM

45 posts, read 88,382 times
I said nearly identical; there's no one genetically closer to a Japanese than a Korean. I know Korean nationalism emphasizes purity and uniqueness of the Korean people but they are not at all out of place with regards to their neighbors. They are about as Japanese as Okinawan people and have full capability of becoming Japanese. To be honest, I fully believe Korean identity and nationhood is just a blip in history and will eventually give way to some larger identity i.e. subsumed into China or Japan within the next few centuries.

People will resemble others who live nearby unless there's a strong geographical barrier like a desert or mountain range separating the two populations.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I said nearly identical; there's no one genetically closer to a Japanese than a Korean. I know Korean nationalism emphasizes purity and uniqueness of the Korean people but they are not at all out of place with regards to their neighbors. They are about as Japanese as Okinawan people and have full capability of becoming Japanese. To be honest, I fully believe Korean identity and nationhood is just a blip in history and will eventually give way to some larger identity i.e. subsumed into China or Japan within the next few centuries.

People will resemble others who live nearby unless there's a strong geographical barrier like a desert or mountain range separating the two populations.
Actually Japanese are quite different. Of course related on a broad level, but they're quite genetically distinct. I can usually tell apart Japanese and Koreans.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 AM

183 posts, read 209,992 times
Quote:
To be honest, I fully believe Korean identity and nationhood is just a blip in history and will eventually give way to some larger identity i.e. subsumed into China or Japan within the next few centuries.

A blip that lasted five thousand years? Stop the crazy talk if you know nothing about Korean history.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 AM

7 posts, read 10,107 times
Obviously in Canada or the US, the Koreans feel offensive for being mistaken for a Japanese.

Japanese colonialism is a thing Koreans bitterly hate.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:57 AM

7 posts, read 10,107 times
Obviously in Canada or the US, the Koreans feel offensive for being mistaken for a Japanese.

Japanese colonialism is bitter hated by the Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or