Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Do you foresee a future EU-style setup of the ASEAN region someday?

If so, which countries of ASEAN would join? All of them? Some that wouldn't? What implications would this have for each individual country that would join?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
I'm not as knowleeable of Asian politics like I am with Latin American and European politics, but I don't see anything of the sort happening at all. The very first stumbling block that ASEAN countries need to get over with, is the concept that they are Singaporean, Filipino, Malaysian, East Timorian, Indonesian, etc. You have to get people to start accepting that they are Asian first, and their nationality second. This is not true of anywhere in Asia, AFAIK, because all of the Asians I've encountered in my city do not consider themselves Asian, they go by whatever flag they were born under.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm not as knowleeable of Asian politics like I am with Latin American and European politics, but I don't see anything of the sort happening at all. The very first stumbling block that ASEAN countries need to get over with, is the concept that they are Singaporean, Filipino, Malaysian, East Timorian, Indonesian, etc. You have to get people to start accepting that they are Asian first, and their nationality second. This is not true of anywhere in Asia, AFAIK, because all of the Asians I've encountered in my city do not consider themselves Asian, they go by whatever flag they were born under.
But, I think this is the exact same in Europe. A person is German first, and just happens to be in EU at the same time.

I don't think a German would consider himself/herself European first, and German second. Particularly, because no one else in Europe would let them NOT identify with their country of origin.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But, I think this is the exact same in Europe. A person is German first, and just happens to be in EU at the same time.

I don't think a German would consider himself/herself European first, and German second. Particularly, because no one else in Europe would let them NOT identify with their country of origin.
Here's the big difference between Europeans and Asians. Most Europeans have no problem co-identifying with a pan-European identity marker. Yes, they identify with their country first, but they also frequently refer to themselves as European, too. Brits are the only exception to the rule inside the EU where many still insist they are not European. The mainland EU countries see themselves as European, alongside of their national identity. I haven't seen that from Asians. If Singaporeans have such a problem with other Asian foreigners coming into their country, then the future of an EU style government for the ASEAN region is not even on the table

Old 08-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's the big difference between Europeans and Asians. Most Europeans have no problem co-identifying with a pan-European identity marker. Yes, they identify with their country first, but they also frequently refer to themselves as European, too. Brits are the only exception to the rule inside the EU where many still insist they are not European. The mainland EU countries see themselves as European, alongside of their national identity. I haven't seen that from Asians. If Singaporeans have such a problem with other Asian foreigners coming into their country, then the future of an EU style government for the ASEAN region is not even on the table
I think it depends on which 'Asians'. Something like 75% of the world is Asian.

ASEAN is basically Southeast Asian. They are a bit more cohesive than random 'Asia'.

For example, when you watch MTV in Malaysia, it's not unusual for them to put on Filipino stars or VJs and such from the Philippines. The Southeast Asian countries are a bit smaller, and closer proximity to each other. They tend to know each other better.

Thankfully 'China' or 'India' aren't part of ASEAN, as both China and India are world's to themselves. They would have little awareness or even interest with what popular in 'The Philippines' at the moment, etc.

In short, I agree with you that 'ASIA' isn't cohesive, and couldn't possibly be. Particularly with 75% of the world's population being there. However, I DO think that SOUTHEAST ASIA has a more cohesive-like potential, not unlike EU.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
However, I DO think that SOUTHEAST ASIA has a more cohesive-like potential, not unlike EU.
It's a tough guess. I'm not sure SE Asia as a whole is all that cohesive though, at least at the present time. It's possible that down the road some SE Asian countries could unite somewhat like the European model, but it's hard to say. However, the Asean Games does seem to be one area where unification seems to be strong. With regard to Thailand, I'd be surprised if it would be willing to open all the borders for free, unlimited passage from other SE Asian countries though. My guess is that they'd likely still continue to require visas or day passes for the most part with the idea of avoiding mass immigration.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
It doesn't seem implausible, but it would be at least several decades away. I would think some kind of external pressure from China and/or India could become galvanizing enough forces to compel the countries to do so.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
I don't think so,at least not in a foreseeable future.
Most of the countries in SE Asia are way too politically unstable,and for many parts are still poverty-stricken.

Europe is probably the only continent in the entire world that is the most suitable for the EU model(if you count Canada and the US out) as most of the countries over there are rich and stable,but even EU nowadays has a ****load of problems,I don't think it's gonna work out for SE Asia,at all.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Only with Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, not the other countries.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
no. asians are too nationalistic and hate each other. Just look at some the nationals that support the red dragon on this board. They want to start world war 3. they have an inferiority complex that goes back to losing the opium war in the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia