U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Mini mango is a good description. Evidently they do ripen, although I've never see any ripe ones. Most folks I know pick them green and feel they're worthless if allowed to get ripe.
Meet the Mini Mango | Ramblingspoon.com
New foods #1 - Congee and mini-fruits | trivia |

No, I've never eaten any kho kae peanuts.

About the durian, a lot of Thais like it, but I know there are plenty of Thais that don't like it at all. Nonthaburi (just north on BKK) is said to have some of the best durian, but that may become a thing of the past due to flooding. Apparently, durian plants can die from too much water. Nonthaburi even has cast iron durian street lamps and have held an annual Durian Festival.
S.E.A. Wandering | a place to document and share our travels to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand

I wonder if this is the sausage like durian candy you mentioned. Fourth photo down.
Links to Food Blog: Lunar New Year Candy made from Kumquats and Durian
You have to try koh kae, but I warn you they are addictive!

Ah yes...yeah Thailand is well known for it's durian. My dad loves his durians, but then again he is Malaysian.

Similar, the one I used to like was this one:

Durian fruit paste sausage

It has the durian flavour, but it's kind of like caramelised durian is a good way to describe it without the creamy texture. It's a bit like banana and coconut candy. Worth trying out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,062,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You have to try koh kae, but I warn you they are addictive!

Ah yes...yeah Thailand is well known for it's durian. My dad loves his durians, but then again he is Malaysian.

Similar, the one I used to like was this one:

Durian fruit paste sausage

It has the durian flavour, but it's kind of like caramelised durian is a good way to describe it without the creamy texture. It's a bit like banana and coconut candy. Worth trying out.
I'm not much of a sugar eater. Is it fairly mellow its durian flavor? I think durian fruit could be fine except that it's so intense that it's really unpleasant to me. Like I mentioned, durian chips seem to taste okay. Maybe because it had the stink dried out of it.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm not much of a sugar eater. Is it fairly mellow its durian flavor? I think durian fruit could be fine except that it's so intense that it's really unpleasant to me. Like I mentioned, durian chips seem to taste okay. Maybe because it had the stink dried out of it.
Yeah I'd actually say the durian flavour is not as strong, although it's quite sweet. I kinda like the texture too. It's more chewy.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Many Chinese believe too sweet is bad for health. Many adults never eat dessert.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
I don't know why the OP thinks red bean paste is not sweet enough, when they're too sweet for me. I can only eat so many mooncakes during the Mid-Autumn Festival or I will get a sore throat.

I agree with Bettafish, maybe the question is why should desserts be so sweet as to cause obesity, diabetes and other ailments?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,246 times
One reason Indian desserts are in general very sweet, is the abundance of sugar cane and sugar. I'm sure that's not the only reason. Many of them aren't super-sweet--my favorite, sandesh, is medium-sweet.

In India, traditionally sweets are not an everyday thing. They usually drink tea very sweet, but (in many parts at least) that is the only sweet thing consumed daily. I'm talking from experience 30-some years ago, and I suspect it's still much the same now.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 23,579 times
I know that Koreans and Japanese don't really eat desserts other than fruits. Green tea / mochi ice cream is really a fusion since ice cream came from the West. They usually have something with red beans and rice cakes but I personally don't like eating rice as a dessert after eating rice for an entree.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Well.East Asia has many places that sell Western desserts,so just get in one of them and grab a piece of cake or some ice cream,lol.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:57 AM

318 posts, read 407,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pete View Post
I know that Koreans and Japanese don't really eat desserts other than fruits. Green tea / mochi ice cream is really a fusion since ice cream came from the West. They usually have something with red beans and rice cakes but I personally don't like eating rice as a dessert after eating rice for an entree.
I think eating fruits as dessert is more a Chinese thing, the Japanese do enjoy desserts, but yeah they tend not to be as sweet as western desserts, with flavours like green tea and azuki beans being popular.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 AM

6 posts, read 7,938 times
None of the people here have tried Hong Kong, Cantonese or Taiwanese desserts. They are not widely available outside of the Pearl River Delta and Taiwan so are generally not well-known by the outsiders, they are like combinations of Southern Chinese, Western and Southeast Asian dessert styles. HK and Taiwan has the most fame for desserts in the East Asia region. Southeast Asian dessert frequently used coconout milk and tropical fruits, which are not readily available in northern China, Korea and Japan. Many tropical fruits are grown in Taiwan, Guangdong and Hainan as well, the area is 100% frost-free year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or