U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,080 times

Advertisements

Everybody watch and listen to their own countries' or territories' production, but how many people also like the production from other places?

How popular are the tv dramas, movies and music of JAPAN, HK, SOUTH KOREA, TAIWAN and CHINA in other countries and territories within Asia and other Continents?

Apart from the Korean Wave, how well-known are the pop stars of these places outside of their own countries and territories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,960 times
Korean drama are considerebly quiet popular in Indonesia, but most of the people still watch sinetron (Indonesian crappy telenovela), which apperently popular in Malaysia hahaha! China, Taiwan and Japan not so much i suppose, but Taiwanese and China tv series and movies are very popular among Chinese Malaysians.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,112 times
Are you sure? All the Asian countries mentioned have some audiences in other countries. When you watch foreign movies, tv or MTV videos there are usually subtitles in the local language in different countries across the world. People in Asia also watch Hollywood movies with subtitles as not all of them are good at English. There are specific TV channels in various Asian countries broadcasting in stuff from Japan, HK, South Korea, Taiwan and China. For example, in Mainland China, there are many stuff from HK, South Korea, Taiwan and the US broadcasting in different local TV channels. There is almost none from Japan however due to a strong anti-Japanese sentiment in China. Goto a disco in China and most music are from HK, South Korea, Taiwan and the US, Mainland Chinese music maybe just a quarter of the total.

It is a fact that they have a significant overseas market as well. Famous singers or groups have concerts in other countries across the world with full attendance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monim1 View Post
I think when you are going to watch movie or drama series the main problem in language. This is the reason why Hollywood movies are popular all around the world. I far i know movies of JAPAN, HK, SOUTH KOREA, TAIWAN and CHINA are not so popular among other nations.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monim1 View Post
I think when you are going to watch movie or drama series the main problem in language. This is the reason why Hollywood movies are popular all around the world. I far i know movies of JAPAN, HK, SOUTH KOREA, TAIWAN and CHINA are not so popular among other nations.
A ton of people who watch these Hollywood movies don't understand English. That's why there are subtitles and dubbing. Korean pop and drama is popular all over East Asia, from Indonesia to Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or