U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:50 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,450,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
One other thing. There was some earlier mention of Bali having some good food. Where please? specific places if possible. Everything I have eaten in Bali, from restaurants to private cooks was bland and quite frankly a huge disappointment. Where is this supposed great food in Bali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Nomad in Ubud is an institution, operating since 1979 and always packed, for good reason, the prices reasonable, the service great, and above all the food delicious and authentic. Would highly recommend the Balinese 'tapas' about two dozen delightful morsels of Balinese samplers and rice.

Nomad Restaurant & Bar, Ubud, Bali Nomad Restaurant & Bar, Ubud, Bali | Your OASIS of Taste

Ignore the pic of the burger there haha, yes they also do western, but the Balinese they do is top notch...

Every meal I had in Bali was great, pretty much. We ate at restaurants that were more on the exxy side catering to tourists, but the food was authentic and good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
^ and don't forget that awesome ribs restaurant in Ubud, it was simply wonderful... the seafood are also delicious, we used to eat at Jimbaran whenever we go to Bali, but quality have dwindled there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah i wonder what kind of places justanokie ate at because virtually every meal I had in Bali was fantastic.
So I just got back from another trip to Bali and I did eat at some great places. Welcome to TebaSari being one of them. I guess maybe just bad luck on the previous trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM

11,436 posts, read 6,412,321 times
Maybe Malaysian immigrants don't come here at the same rates as Thai immigrants do? Malaysia has a much higher GDP per capita than Thailand so it makes sense why the Malaysians don't feel the need to immigrate as much as Thai. Therefore a lot less Malaysian restaurants than Thai

Also, while Thai cuisine is world class and is one of the best cuisines in the world, Malaysia is a step behind. Malaysian food is very tasty, but it's not quite at the level of Thailand. Thai cuisine is right up there with Peruvian, Italian, and Turkish as the very best, while Malaysian cuisine is more on level with Korean or Brazilian cuisines

Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 5,917 times
There are not that many Thai in the US compared to Japanese, Koreans or Vietnamese. On the wiki page of Thai Americans, it stated "Thai culture's prominence in the United States is disproportionate to their numbers. The stationing of American troops in Thailand during the Vietnam War exposed the GIs to Thai culture and cuisine, and many of them came home with Thai wives."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Americans

Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 AM

5,959 posts, read 2,900,287 times
Count me in the "not impressed with Balinese cuisine" camp. I would rate it near the bottom of places in SE Asia I've visited.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
then what is authentic tai?

laab/larb is lao
som tum is lao or khmer
nam prik is lao
satay is malay
ajad is malay
etc
Larb and some tum are Isan. That area was part of Lao Kingdom way back in the day, but became part of Thailand in the early 1900s under treaty with UK. Nam prik is far too generic a term to attribute it to Lao.

Either way it is silly to try to trace food genealogy back since one must always choose an arbitrary date to assign it to a certain country. Chili peppers came to Asia from Portuguese traders, so do we call Nam Prik a Portuguese food? But wait, the Portuguese got 'em from South America, so now Nam Prik is South American food. Traders brought tomatoes to Italy from South America, so is spaghetti also South American? But that can't be because there are a million arguments about where the Italians got pasta.

Bottom line larb is Thai and Lao. There are certain curries that are distinctly Thai. Cheeseburgers are American, despite what might be argued about Germans putting ground meat between buns centuries ago. Satay is claimed by Java, but it is fair to call it Malay as well they share so much origins on things anyway.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyarap View Post
Approximately 1 million Vietnamese people live in the State.
And 400,000 of them are named Nguyen

Old 06-30-2017, 03:43 PM

23 posts, read 19,955 times
i dont think it's bcoz of less indonesian who go abroad, i think it's all bcoz lack of effort to do more promotion and expand some cuisine bussines abroad. with so many islands, culture, and the richness i think indonesia have alot of cuisine to offer than any other country in asia. but malaysia is aboves of indonesia when it come's to cuisine promotion with their tourism tag #TrulyAsia, when i was in aussie i just watch the master cheff winner of australia is indonesian, and dont forget to mention on how many malaysia or indonesia food stalls in aussie, and there's alot of Crazy Vlogers who flocked goes to jakarta or bali for some nice short vacation and doing some food review that i watch in youtube. well it's about time i guess when the whole world notice it. and also i read that the indo's government target the foreign tourist arrival in 2019-2020 is more than 20 Million, still more room to grow since what i see indonesia have alot of massive infrastructure project across the country, im quite jealouse btw. just for 5 year they target to build and revitalization more than 150 airport across the country, 4000 Km new road and toll road, 45 new dam that is insane and i hear that they also build High Speed train, just wait for 5 year from now. Jakarta is Booming btw. i love both of these country

Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM

481 posts, read 192,331 times
Indonesian food less popular may be caused less promotion about Indonesian food

Well there is very little immigration from Indonesian or Malaysian to America or Europe except indonesian in Netherland

Indonesian food very yummy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuXvnCLERA

Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM

116 posts, read 64,015 times
I think it's because there are simply not as many Malaysians abroad compared to Thai and other Asian ethnicities. Thai food is btw fantastic, so it is a high bar.

Also, do people really think that Malaysian cuisine = Korean cuisine abroad? Really? I've never seen one Malaysian restaurant around where I live, whereas Korean restaurants are several. It could be because of where I live (Northeast US) but still I was always under the impression that Korean cuisine was more popular than Malaysian food.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:52 PM

597 posts, read 353,411 times
My husband's doctor (who was Chinese background) told him that he liked Thai food as it is so sweet. Or at least the Thai food we get here is sweet. I prefer Malaysian as I do not have much of a sweet tooth. But we think probably the best food we have had anywhere in the world has been in Singapore and in Malaysia, especially in Sabah in Borneo. Most amazing variety!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or