U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:26 PM

5,096 posts, read 8,076,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
malaysian food is found in the US. its pretty good
True, Malaysian food can be found in the US, but it isn't as common as Thai food. Thai restaurants can be found all over the country, and many supermarkets carry Thai products, such as rice, coconut milk, various packaged goods, etc. You can't find as much in the way of Malaysian foods and food products, although specialty Asian grocery shops often carry some Malaysian food products. The predominate products at those shops usually tend to originate from countries like India, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, and China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 177 times
So, I'm from the Seattle area and one of the more popular restaurants in my neighborhood is a Malaysian place run by a Caucasian couple who had traveled extensively in Malaysia. I've tried their nasi lemak with beef rendang, and my goodness, it's about 99.999% similar to what one can find in Malaysia itself! I do think that Malaysian cuisine has a lot of potentials and it saddens me knowing that it is not getting the recognition that I think it deserves!

PS. I lived in Malaysia for more than 10 years
PPS. Unrelated, but the Michelin-starred soy sauce chicken from Singapore is a huge disappointment! I'd bet my bottom dollar that I can find a much better option in HK/Malaysia...

Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,068 times
Indian Food in Malaysia is considered very good. As authentic as real deal - especially Tamil food.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 PM

78,925 posts, read 70,745,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloh View Post
So, I'm from the Seattle area and one of the more popular restaurants in my neighborhood is a Malaysian place run by a Caucasian couple who had traveled extensively in Malaysia. I've tried their nasi lemak with beef rendang, and my goodness, it's about 99.999% similar to what one can find in Malaysia itself! I do think that Malaysian cuisine has a lot of potentials and it saddens me knowing that it is not getting the recognition that I think it deserves!

PS. I lived in Malaysia for more than 10 years
PPS. Unrelated, but the Michelin-starred soy sauce chicken from Singapore is a huge disappointment! I'd bet my bottom dollar that I can find a much better option in HK/Malaysia...
Where in Seattle is this Malaysian restaurant? We haven't seen you in the Seattle forum, on the food /restaurant threads, that I recall.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where in Seattle is this Malaysian restaurant? We haven't seen you in the Seattle forum, on the food /restaurant threads, that I recall.
It looks like that above post was his/her 1st post ever on city-data.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,654,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Especially in the US, but also say in the UK. Despite there not being a lot of Thai-Americans it seems Thai restaurants are common in the US, at least the West coast and larger cities. In comparison it seems Malaysian/Indonesian/Singaporean restaurants are rarer than hen's teeth.

The latter are common here, largely due to the many people from those countries and Australians familiarity with those countries. Malaysia was also a British colony and quite a few Malaysians go to the UK, although the cuisine isn't common there.

It's often considered THE best in Asia (although it's partly subjective) and Singapore, Penang.etc often hailed as the ultimate destination for foodies, so it's esteemed unlike say the Philippines. Thai is definitely delicious too, of course.

A fair number of Brits still visit Malaysia, about half a million a year, which is about half those who visit Thailand.

I wonder why it never achieved even small prominence in most of the US? I mean there are some people from these countries over there, but most Americans have never even tried dishes like nasi goreng, laksa, chicken rice, roti, nyonya chicken curry, murtabak.etc.
What exactly is the core of Thai cuisine?
Some form of peanuts with hot and sweet sauce.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 274,530 times
I think the Thai government actively promotes Thai food in the US and funds the restaurants. Sweden and Korea actively do this with music.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 PM

1,508 posts, read 528,791 times
This thread is the exact reason why I actually rank Malaysia and Singapore higher on my list of travel destinations than Japan. You can get authentic Japanese food everywhere in the world, might not be as good as actual Japanese food in Japan, but with Malaysian cuisine you'd be hard-pressed to even find a mere semblance of Malaysian cuisine in even the SF Bay Area or Los Angeles.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM

4,893 posts, read 3,397,849 times
Could be because it's somewhat of a mixture of Chinese and Indian food and doesn't have a distinctive cuisine like other countries. Even in Singapore Malaysian food consists mostly of satay and nasi goreng.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:44 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,110,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What exactly is the core of Thai cuisine?
Some form of peanuts with hot and sweet sauce.

Fish sauce, thai basil, chili sauce, and coconut curry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I think the Thai government actively promotes Thai food in the US and funds the restaurants. Sweden and Korea actively do this with music.

Except I don't listen to K-pop. I liked abba and ace of base.

I was doing muay thai all winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or