U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You obviously don't know much about Malaysia if you believe all those generalisations. Grossly overrate? Well many food critics, experts, and Anthony Bourdain himself have mentioned how they think Singapore/Malaysia has the best food scene in Asia. Give me Penang, KL anyday over Hong Kong. Hong Kong is mostly Cantonese, Malaysia is so much more diverse.

Certainly not true. Malays enjoy Chinese food (there ARE quite a few halal Chinese restaurants), and Chinese Malaysians also often enjoy Malay food. Both also frequent Indian places. My dad is Malaysian and I've been many times, living there as the locals do, not just a tourist. Some Chinese might avoid beef but a ton eat it, and at most Chinese restaurants there beef has been on the menu. Cannot find in Chinese Malaysian restaurants? You certainly can, even if it's more a Malay dish. It's common in all types of Malaysian restaurants. There are also Peranakan/Baba-Nyonya restaurants (often halal even if they traditionally did eat pork) which are popular with Malays of all ethnicities.
I prefer Hong Kong over Penang. You don't compare Hong Kong to Malaysia/Singapore as those are two independent countries over a special administrative region! I don't have to change my opinion or to prove anything. It suffices to tell everyone else reading here that people have different tastes. Also, since I don't have Malaysian ancestry, I cannot possibly find a Malaysian auntie to cook for me, but rather just eat whatever is available in restaurants. I also do not have a Hong Kong auntie to cook for me, so the comparison is pretty fair. Why do you have to cherry pick anyway and say that there are better Malaysian food cooked somewhere by someone else? I've been to both Malaysia and Hong Kong more than 5 times each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,158 times
Quote:
Well yes, a lot are in the kitchen in a lot of restaurants in Malaysia too. Rendang there is just as good as Indo. Both countries have really good food. Malaysia probably wins because it has more Chinese Malaysian and Indian Malaysian, as well as more pure Chinese and Indian as well as Malay. Plus more western food in Malaysia too.
To you Malaysia have to win most of the competition, but the "Malay" dish in Indonesia is just better hands down, and personally i find the rendang in malaysia to be not spiced enough. Western food is totally uncommon thing in any country, how come some stated there are more western restaurant in Malaysia as compared to its neighboring country without an actual proof, go to any shopping mall in Jakarta and the western food availability is just as good as any places in Asia. Yes there are more Chinese-Indian restaurants in Malaysia because it has large community of them, so diversity is there but Chinese food is almost anywhere here anyway.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
To you Malaysia have to win most of the competition, but the "Malay" dish in Indonesia is just better hands down, and personally i find the rendang in malaysia to be not spiced enough. Western food is totally uncommon thing in any country, how come some stated there are more western restaurant in Malaysia as compared to its neighboring country without an actual proof, go to any shopping mall in Jakarta and the western food availability is just as good as any places in Asia.
I've been to Singapore, Thailand, and Bali in Indonesia. Singapore of course has the most western food, but KL, other big cities, and even smaller cities have a lot of the fast food chains, as well as Italian, French, other restaurants. Tourist parts of Thailand and Bangkok do but it's not as widespread.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I've been to Singapore, Thailand, and Bali in Indonesia. Singapore of course has the most western food, but KL, other big cities, and even smaller cities have a lot of the fast food chains, as well as Italian, French, other restaurants. Tourist parts of Thailand and Bangkok do but it's not as widespread.
Bali has tonnes of French, Italian, Mexican restaurants because of the relatively large number of expat living there, Jakarta also have sizable expat number opening up restaurants in Kemang ranging from Persian to French you name it, plus its a hundred+ of shopping malls. Fast food chain like what? Mcdonald, KFC and Pizza Hut? that's everywhere, even to the remote province of Papua.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The presence of Western restaurants have no impact on how good Singaporean or Malaysian food is. I don't know why that matters.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Bali has tonnes of French, Italian, Mexican restaurants because of the relatively large number of expat living there, Jakarta also have sizable expat number opening up restaurants in Kemang ranging from Persian to French you name it, plus its a hundred+ of shopping malls. Fast food chain like what? Mcdonald, KFC and Pizza Hut? that's everywhere, even to the remote province of Papua.
We have things like Chili's and Carl's Jnr too. Have you even been to KL? The plethora of food options you can find there?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
To you Malaysia have to win most of the competition, but the "Malay" dish in Indonesia is just better hands down, and personally i find the rendang in malaysia to be not spiced enough. Western food is totally uncommon thing in any country, how come some stated there are more western restaurant in Malaysia as compared to its neighboring country without an actual proof, go to any shopping mall in Jakarta and the western food availability is just as good as any places in Asia. Yes there are more Chinese-Indian restaurants in Malaysia because it has large community of them, so diversity is there but Chinese food is almost anywhere here anyway.
I agree. You obviously prefer rendang from Indonesia, and from the rendang I tasted in Indonesian restaurants outside of Indonesia, I believe you. I don't know why The Postman just has to WIN it for Malaysia. Not everything in Malaysia is the best, that's for sure.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The presence of Western restaurants have no impact on how good Singaporean or Malaysian food is. I don't know why that matters.
No, I was just pointing out it's more diverse in general. But yes, I still consider Singapore and KL the two best food cities in Asia (big cities). Bangkok is a close third. Taipei might be 4th, maybe Jakarta too.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
We have things like Chili's and Carl's Jnr too. Have you even been to KL? The plethora of food options you can find there?
I've been and lived in KL, have you been to Jakarta? plus you are making a point out of observation geez.

Chilli carl jr never noticed, never cared.

Quote:
I agree. You obviously prefer rendang from Indonesia, and from the rendang I tasted in Indonesian restaurants outside of Indonesia, I believe you. I don't know why The Postman just has to WIN it for Malaysia. Not everything in Malaysia is the best, that's for sure.
Thank you.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I started by correcting some assumptions but I guess the subject got onto rendang...either way, rendang is a great dish, whether Malaysian or Indonesian style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or