U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Big disagree here. No way Hong Kong food scene is better than Singapore's. Way more diverse in Singapore. Yes Hong Kong has great Chinese food.....but so does Singapore. Yes there are some sushi places, but who doesnt have that

I have traveled extensively and hands down the best food countries I have found are Italy and Singapore. Italy because its so fresh and diversified. You can run a good sample of European cuisine by starting in Northwestern Italy, moving to the Alps and then traveling south down to Sicily. Singapore because they have such a large examples of authentic asian cuisines and then they also blend it all up. Also because the people themselves are for a large part such foodies that it places a high demand for quality.

What most people think of Thai food is actually southern Thai food which is heavily influenced by Malay/Indonesian food and the same influences that makes those 2 cuisines outstanding....so I don't think thats it. I see lots of Thai restaurants that blatantly rip off Malay/Indonesian foods. I have seen rendang, a poor one, labeled Thai beef stew. I have seen Roti Pratha sold as "Thai bread". and on and on. I don't really care so long as its good.

Well you would expect there to be since large portions of them were controlled by the same kingdom for large parts of history.

I don't know that there is a Singaporean food, I guess if there is its the ability to take good qualities of different cuisines and blend them into something new and beautiful.....of course then Malaysia takes credit for it.

Thats what separates Singapore from Malaysia and Indonesia. You kind find excellent authentic food from many cultures and then there are the places that meld things from them.

I dunno...I kind of prefer laksa.
Food in Italy...the touristy places were overpriced and not that good, but of course there's some excellent food to be had. Of course mostly Italian, but there's hardly any non-Italian food even in Rome.

True, Thailand shares a lot of dishes with Malaysian, I wonder if they did adopt some. Things like satay, curry puffs...rendang is definitely Indo-Malay in origin. Tom yum is similar to Assam laksa. Yeah roti is definitely an Indian thing, roti paratha (Singapore) and roti canai (Malaysia) done in a style which is more unique to those places. I believe the ones you find in Chennai are more bread and less pastry like, though I might be wrong.

What separates Singapore from Malaysia? Both have melded the same cuisines...Singaporean cuisine is really just part of Malaysian cuisine. Like there aren't all that many Singapore-only dishes you can't find in Malaysia. Singapore mai-fun (mee hoon or 'Singapore fried noodles') is actually more common in Singaporean communities overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 AM

82 posts, read 202,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Food in Italy...the touristy places were overpriced and not that good, but of course there's some excellent food to be had. Of course mostly Italian, but there's hardly any non-Italian food even in Rome.
there's actually quiet a lot. rome is like my 2nd home
mexican, other latin american, lebanese, turkish, arab, chinese, korean, japanese, a lot of indian, vietnamese, ethiopian, eritrean, a lot of filipinos at the ethnic market down town selling filipino products but no filipino restaurant afaik.
all of the restaurants mentioned above are of course adjusted to the italian taste which is very disappointing
the italian food in rome city isn't great either. for real italian food go outside of rome
don't buy drinks in rome like you said it's overpriced, go to supermarkets like conad where the price will be 5x less

Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 AM

@justanokie
I agree on the hong kong vs singapore part
thailand is known by the SEA to copy/rip off their neighboring countries!
they steal lao, cambodian and malay food and advertise them as thai
it's like a melting pot where all those countries come together, just like singapore. only singapore doesnt claim the dishes to be theirs. they know its origin

i wonder whats the REAL thai food, that originated in thailand by the tai / siamese only

Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
@justanokie
I agree on the hong kong vs singapore part
thailand is known by the SEA to copy/rip off their neighboring countries!
they steal lao, cambodian and malay food and advertise them as thai
it's like a melting pot where all those countries come together, just like singapore. only singapore doesnt claim the dishes to be theirs. they know its origin

i wonder whats the REAL thai food, that originated in thailand by the tai / siamese only
Malaysia is responsible for many food inventions, and i don't think it's fair to say Thailand is just stole neighbouring cuisines. It has a rich cuisine of it's own.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Malaysia is responsible for many food inventions, and i don't think it's fair to say Thailand is just stole neighbouring cuisines. It has a rich cuisine of it's own.
then what is authentic tai?

laab/larb is lao
som tum is lao or khmer
nam prik is lao
satay is malay
ajad is malay
etc

Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
then what is authentic tai?

laab/larb is lao
som tum is lao or khmer
nam prik is lao
satay is malay
ajad is malay
etc

I think thai food is just lao/khmer/malay food with sweet basil tossed in. Not as spicy as the first 2 but more so than the last. Of course in the North its mostly chinese influenced and in the south its more malay/indian/muslim influenced.

It would probably tick me off if I was khmer or malay but I'm not so I just blow it off so long as it tastes good.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
^satay are indonesian... Well its influence to thailand might pass through malaysia however.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:

True, Thailand shares a lot of dishes with Malaysian, I wonder if they did adopt some. Things like satay, curry puffs...rendang is definitely Indo-Malay in origin. Tom yum is similar to Assam laksa. Yeah roti is definitely an Indian thing, roti paratha (Singapore) and roti canai (Malaysia) done in a style which is more unique to those places. I believe the ones you find in Chennai are more bread and less pastry like, though I might be wrong.

What separates Singapore from Malaysia? Both have melded the same cuisines...Singaporean cuisine is really just part of Malaysian cuisine. Like there aren't all that many Singapore-only dishes you can't find in Malaysia. Singapore mai-fun (mee hoon or 'Singapore fried noodles') is actually more common in Singaporean communities overseas.
While I wouldnt pick Rome as the best example of Italian there is good food to be had. If you get out of the tourist destinations you will find some of the best food I have eaten anywhere and whats Italian is very different as you move around.

What seperates Singapore from Malaysia is Singaporeans love of food. They are much more obsessed with it and that drives the businesses.

By the way. One small correction to an earlier comment of yours I believe. Anthony Bourdain didnt state that Singapore/Malaysian food was the best. He stated that about Singapore repeatedly. His opinion was that Singapore was the best food destination in the world and anytime he travels through there he carves out time to go out and eat. He doesnt mention Malaysia or KL when talking about that which he has in several shows. Of course he has said that Malaysia has some great food, no doubt, but he says that about everywhere he goes cuz thats his job.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I think thai food is just lao/khmer/malay food with sweet basil tossed in. Not as spicy as the first 2 but more so than the last. Of course in the North its mostly chinese influenced and in the south its more malay/indian/muslim influenced.

It would probably tick me off if I was khmer or malay but I'm not so I just blow it off so long as it tastes good.
Well I'm not familiar with Lao or Khmer food but it seems similar...I think there's the claim the old Siamese stole a lot of their culture from the Khmers and Burmese anyway.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM

One other thing. There was some earlier mention of Bali having some good food. Where please? specific places if possible. Everything I have eaten in Bali, from restaurants to private cooks was bland and quite frankly a huge disappointment. Where is this supposed great food in Bali. It was so terrible the last time I was there I actually broke down and ate at a McDonalds which was the second time in many years of traveling that I broke my rule of never eating American fast food or American food period when traveling. I am ashamed to admit that second one. The first was purely for the novelty of ordering a combo with a beer, so I stand by that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or