U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,533 posts, read 1,281,326 times
Reputation: 426

Advertisements

Some comment on FB...

Sathia Palani - Will the police take immediate action against the PIDC organisers for publishing a event without proper permits. It's already published that the event is going to take place.are the police going to stop Singaporeans going to takashimaya on that day. Singaporeans should go there to shop on that day.if this independence day celebration is approved. Going shopping on a Sunday in takashimaya is not an offence. Singaporeans we have to send a very strong message to our PM that this country belong to Singaporeans

Marc Wang - PM Lee has a lot of support and faith in the PIDC organisers, from the way he supported them - to the extent of running down Singapore citizens and calling them a disgrace.

It is disappointing to know the PIDC organisers has instead embarrassed PM Lee by not applying for even a simple permit before they announce such a 10,000-strong mega event to the public.

I hope the organisers can show they are not so tardy

Sathia Palani -Singaporeans has become a laughing joke for the Filipinos back in their country and the world because of this Singapore PM insensitive rant against his own people. Only now the police comes out with this. Surely now they know it's not the simple minority. If this event is allowed there and Singaporeans gather there to shop in the thousands on the days. I don't know what it would be like. managing such a large scale event, and comply with police requirements asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,326,203 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Some comment on FB...

Sathia Palani - Will the police take immediate action against the PIDC organisers for publishing a event without proper permits. It's already published that the event is going to take place.are the police going to stop Singaporeans going to takashimaya on that day. Singaporeans should go there to shop on that day.if this independence day celebration is approved. Going shopping on a Sunday in takashimaya is not an offence. Singaporeans we have to send a very strong message to our PM that this country belong to Singaporeans

Marc Wang - PM Lee has a lot of support and faith in the PIDC organisers, from the way he supported them - to the extent of running down Singapore citizens and calling them a disgrace.

It is disappointing to know the PIDC organisers has instead embarrassed PM Lee by not applying for even a simple permit before they announce such a 10,000-strong mega event to the public.

I hope the organisers can show they are not so tardy

Sathia Palani -Singaporeans has become a laughing joke for the Filipinos back in their country and the world because of this Singapore PM insensitive rant against his own people. Only now the police comes out with this. Surely now they know it's not the simple minority. If this event is allowed there and Singaporeans gather there to shop in the thousands on the days. I don't know what it would be like. managing such a large scale event, and comply with police requirements asap.
It's sad they want to take it out on the Filipinos, it's not their fault, is it?

I looked up this person's name and found this article:

Outcry over China-born Feng Tianwei being Singapore

While she is a citizen, I actually do understand your and Singaporeans' frustration at Lee's attitude.

Did he really say this? 'In an interview with the National Geographic magazine in 2009, Singapore’s supreme leader Lee Kuan Yew proclaimed that it is a ‘good thing’ that Singapore is welcoming so many Chinese immigrants from China as they are ‘harder-striving’ and ‘harder-driving’ than locals.'

Sounds like a put down of Singapore...and yes, it sounds like Lee is running Singapore like a company. Singapore inc with Lee as CEO...

I actually just saw a video where he said, 'do you want all your children to be taxi drivers?' i know what he meant but it comes off as kind of snobby from an Oxford-educated anglophile. The speak English thing was for economic reasons, some might say pander to the west, speak Mandarin probably to cosy up to China.

It reminds me of like Singaporeans who look down on road sweepers, taxi drivers, maids...I mean no wonder now considering Lee's attitude...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,533 posts, read 1,281,326 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's sad they want to take it out on the Filipinos, it's not their fault, is it?

I looked up this person's name and found this article:

Outcry over China-born Feng Tianwei being Singapore

While she is a citizen, I actually do understand your and Singaporeans' frustration at Lee's attitude.

Did he really say this? 'In an interview with the National Geographic magazine in 2009, Singapore’s supreme leader Lee Kuan Yew proclaimed that it is a ‘good thing’ that Singapore is welcoming so many Chinese immigrants from China as they are ‘harder-striving’ and ‘harder-driving’ than locals.'

Sounds like a put down of Singapore...and yes, it sounds like Lee is running Singapore like a company. Singapore inc with Lee as CEO...

I actually just saw a video where he said, 'do you want all your children to be taxi drivers?' i know what he meant but it comes off as kind of snobby from an Oxford-educated anglophile. The speak English thing was for economic reasons, some might say pander to the west, speak Mandarin probably to cosy up to China.

It reminds me of like Singaporeans who look down on road sweepers, taxi drivers, maids...I mean no wonder now considering Lee's attitude...
I dont know if he said that, but i am definitely not surprised if he did..

Saw some FB comments, people are GUESSING whether PM is bigger or the police is bigger..

Honestly the fact that there is no permit so far says much about LHL...

Will the event be cancelled..? Hmm watch for further development..

New stories are unfolding ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,326,203 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I dont know if he said that, but i am definitely not surprised if he did
Yeah I hope S'pore doesn't become just the Lee's destination for endless Chinese migrants. Enough of this Chinese kinship thing, Singaporeans are Singaporeans, the culture is unique. Some is fine, but not so Singaporeans become a minority in their own country! Already 40% foreigner....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,533 posts, read 1,281,326 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I hope S'pore doesn't become just the Lee's destination for endless Chinese migrants. Enough of this Chinese kinship thing, Singaporeans are Singaporeans, the culture is unique. Some is fine, but not so Singaporeans become a minority in their own country! Already 40% foreigner....
Current number of PRCs in Singapore is approximately 1 million.. Oct 1 celebration can be held at the Padang..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,326,203 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Current number of PRCs in Singapore is approximately 1 million.. Oct 1 celebration can be held at the Padang..
Wow, 1 million? 1/5 of the population? No wonder sometimes everyone seems to be speaking Mandarin, even if among Singaporeans English is increasing...

I see Chinese flooding Melbourne too. The city is dominated by them. There must be at least two dozen Sichuan restaurants in the CBD alone (not that i'm complaining about that since I love Sichuan/Szechuan cuisine).

I'm not against Chinese immigration per se, and a lot of these are actually students, but yeah you don't want to be totally flooded by any one group...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,680,564 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Some comment on FB...

Sathia Palani - Will the police take immediate action against the PIDC organisers for publishing a event without proper permits. It's already published that the event is going to take place.are the police going to stop Singaporeans going to takashimaya on that day. Singaporeans should go there to shop on that day.if this independence day celebration is approved. Going shopping on a Sunday in takashimaya is not an offence. Singaporeans we have to send a very strong message to our PM that this country belong to Singaporeans

Marc Wang - PM Lee has a lot of support and faith in the PIDC organisers, from the way he supported them - to the extent of running down Singapore citizens and calling them a disgrace.

It is disappointing to know the PIDC organisers has instead embarrassed PM Lee by not applying for even a simple permit before they announce such a 10,000-strong mega event to the public.

I hope the organisers can show they are not so tardy

Sathia Palani -Singaporeans has become a laughing joke for the Filipinos back in their country and the world because of this Singapore PM insensitive rant against his own people. Only now the police comes out with this. Surely now they know it's not the simple minority. If this event is allowed there and Singaporeans gather there to shop in the thousands on the days. I don't know what it would be like. managing such a large scale event, and comply with police requirements asap.
I don't know who this guy is, but in case you want to know, Filipinos and other people in the world are supporting the Singapore PM. Even here in C-D, you know what the sentiments of people are. They are not laughing about this matter, but are disgusted. It is pretty low profile elsewhere and it is the first and only time I have heard of this here at C-D. I follow Philippine news online to a certain extent and also have a couple of Filipino facebook friends working in Singapore. Nothing regarding this event from those sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,326,203 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't know who this guy is, but in case you want to know, Filipinos and other people in the world are supporting the Singapore PM. Even here in C-D, you know what the sentiments of people are. They are not laughing about this matter, but are disgusted. It is pretty low profile elsewhere and it is the first and only time I have heard of this here at C-D. I follow Philippine news online to a certain extent and also have a couple of Filipino facebook friends working in Singapore. Nothing regarding this event from those sources.
I can't say for sure, but I don't think most Singaporeans will really think much about it. I would think most would be supportive of the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM
 
Location: LONDON BABY
301 posts, read 405,904 times
Reputation: 276
Why do Filipinos want to go to Singapore.
Singapore is too rigid and has a very undynamic economy with slow growth potential.

The Philippines is a booming economy, Manila is an ocean of skyscrapers. There are literally hundreds of office skyscrapers going up all over the Philippines.

The Philippines is growing much faster than Singapore.

The Philippines is a much bigger, more powerfull and important country than Singapore.

The Philippines has a great future as a major Asian power, Singapore does not.

The Philippines is a free country, Singapore is a police state.

If I was a Filipino I would stay in the Philippines, it has a greater future and potential than singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,326,203 times
Reputation: 2833
Singapore is one city yet it's GDP already exceeds the Philippines. 5 million versus over 100 million is kind of shocking. Singapore alone gets 3 times the visitors as the PI. If you're a poor farmer earning $2 a day even Singapores say $50 a day starts to sound mighty attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top