Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
No that's what the government tells you. You're Teochew, aren't you?

I did. You probably know what i think about it.
Yes i am teochew.. But learnt Mandarin in School.. In school registers mother tougue is put as CL.

well, i am not a mind reader. can't read your mind what you think about it..

If you dont want to put your views publicly how about a PM ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Yes i am teochew.. But learnt Mandarin in School.. In school registers mother tougue is put as CL.

well, i am not a mind reader. can't read your mind what you think about it..

If you dont want to put your views publicly how about a PM ?
Isn't it true that the government banned the speaking dialects on TV? That's CCP style cultural desecration, if you ask me...more of a threat than some pinoys coming in. Yet how come Indians are allowed to speak and listen to their languages on TV? The Singapore government can be annoyingly elitist and shallow. I wish there was more a sense of Min identity instead of just Chinese.

I've told you multiple times already, you should have got the message, I don't like it.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Please, Singapore is an English speaking country !!

So be it if Phillipines is better than Singapore, i would be grateful if some of them went back and the rest stop coming...

There are about 180K of them here...
I was talking about Indonesia. Postman was suggesting that Indonesia is ahead of the Philippines, but I think that per capita, the difference is marginal and non-existent. And I was saying that the fact that the Philippines is largely English-speaking will attract more foreigners, but Indonesia doesn't have that advantage.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I was talking about Indonesia. Postman was suggesting that Indonesia is ahead of the Philippines, but I think that per capita, the difference is marginal and non-existent. And I was saying that the fact that the Philippines is largely English-speaking will attract more foreigners, but Indonesia doesn't have that advantage.
Oh i see.. Misunderstood...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I meant more as an overall economic power. But yeah, per GDP Indo and the Phils are similar. According to the videos I saw, most poor slum dwellers in the Philippines can hardly speak English though.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Isn't it true that the government banned the speaking dialects on TV? That's CCP style cultural desecration, if you ask me...more of a threat than some pinoys coming in. Yet how come Indians are allowed to speak and listen to their languages on TV? The Singapore government can be annoyingly elitist and shallow. I wish there was more a sense of Min identity instead of just Chinese.

I've told you multiple times already, you should have got the message, I don't like it.
Indian is one of the 4 official languages over here that is why ...

nobody is denying Singapore government is elistist and shallow..Evident in many ways.. Opposition post election thank you parade is done on lorry and PAP post election thank you parade is done on hippo buses..

WP's Lee Li Lian's thank you parade for residents of Punggol - YouTube

PAP's Koh Poh Koon's thank you parade for residents of Punggol - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Indian is one of the 4 official languages over here that is why ...

nobody is denying Singapore government is elistist and shallow..Evident in many ways.. Opposition post election thank you parade is done on lorry and PAP post election thank you parade is done on hippo buses..

WP's Lee Li Lian's thank you parade for residents of Punggol - YouTube

PAP's Koh Poh Koon's thank you parade for residents of Punggol - YouTube
I should have been more specific. Indians other than Tamil. Tamil not 'Indian' is an official language of Singapore. But there are no restrictions on Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Mayalee, Bengali...LKY had something against Hokkien, Teochew, Hakka, Cantonese (well I wouldn't care if the last went, lol jk) as well as Singlish.

At least the Taiwanese are making SOME effort to preserve their 'Taiwanese'. It might end up being the last bastion of Minnan, the language of the vast majority of early overseas Chinese immigrants to the 'Nanyang.' It's obvious that's a part of their heritage they have lost.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:58 PM

163 posts, read 273,258 times
For a supposedly developed, "first world" country, I will have to say Singapore has long way to go from being truly so. It's all image, but no heart.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 PM

143 posts, read 188,496 times
Quote:
Online bigots a "disgrace to Singapore": PM Lee - Channel NewsAsia

but well in then people start celebrating July 4, Oct 1, britain's queen birthday what does our own Aug 9 mean then ?
You are barking up the wrong tree. Is Singapore a nation of immigrants? Certainly, the Chinese race is not a native in that small piece of land there. I am sure that you are now living in the US. What if the majority (popular culture) is making fun of the Lunar new year?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockapplan View Post
Most people familiar with SEA region are not agreeing with this.

Singapore's economy is very free and open, it ranks high in economic freedom and ease of doing business rankings. Singapore has a stable good economy with both latest GDP per capita and growth rate higher than that of Japan's.

Singapore is a fully developed country, with high overall level of wealth and income, high level of education of its citizens and high standard of medical care. Singapore belongs to the very high category in HDI.

Singapore is widely regarded as an important global city, the hub of almost everything in the SEA region. Manila is generally not regarded as an important city in the region. Philippines is widely not regarded as a powerful country in the region, it is not a regional power and not a world power.

The only country that may have a future as a major SEA power is Indonesia, not Philippines. Frankly speaking, no SEA country will have great future as a major Asian power. The major Asian powers will likely still be China, India, Japan and Republic of Korea.

The Philippines is full of crimes. Singapore is a more stable country.

And there has always been many many people leaving the Philippines, earn their income in another country because the income overseas are often much higher.
Idk about that Indonesia used to be powerful in the 60s when it was under Sukarno, ironically during a military grip rule of Suharto the military declines sharply and becomes laggard, but as a nation of 250 million people it have a good potential to become a major military power once it have upgraded most of its outdated equipments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia