U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2014, 01:23 AM
 
22 posts, read 26,775 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Singaporeans need to learn not to have your cake and eat it too. The PM had it right. It is disgraceful how intolerant Singapore has become. These are just people celebrating something that occurs ONCE a year. So what if it is on Orchard Road? Also, what do the Singaporeans want the government to do? These are people who abide by the rules and the law. Most are overworked and underpaid, with no pathway to Singaporean residency or citizenship. The Singapore government is not going to give them residency rights, so no one expects them to be integrated into Singaporean society. If you are the Singaporean employer, why would you be willing to give up your Filipino workers who work hard and gets paid less? Maybe those protesting can talk to their fellow Singaporeans who will cook, wash and take care of the kids. If they volunteer their services for free for the sake of having fewer Filipinos in Singapore, then by all means, go ahead. For those Singaporeans without Filipino workers, why do you care anyway if you can just see them like that once a year or maybe every Sunday. They are contributing toyour country's economy. If you do more protests that can either result to less workforce or the world seeing Singapore as a place to avoid due to its intolerance, hope you don't start complaining again.
The problem is Orchard is like the capital, so celebrating other country independence in there is like challenging sovereignty of Singaporean people. i dont think they have problem with individual celebrating their independence day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Sandpoint, Idaho
2,897 posts, read 5,284,117 times
Reputation: 3073
Pem123,
Unfortunately Orchard is irrelevant. The large number of Filipinos devalues Filipinos in the eyes of Singaporeans, so much so that scholarship students and professionals from the Philippines are also degraded. I would also add that since most educated Filipinos speak an English that superior to Singlish and mix much more readily within the international community, there is insult added to injury. Whatever anger toward Filipinos is not shared with peoples of other nationalities.

Normalzation will take many decades and perhaps an end to the way domestic servants are imported.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,175 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Reputation: 11633
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
So you like to read paranoid far right blogs written by people who have generally been unsuccessful in life and need to find something to blame for themselves? Cool, man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,814 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
How many Filipinos are working in Singapore? 200k +...how about in the entire world? probably in millions aside from immigrants...
Singaporelady, the story mentioned was just about less than 10 Filipinos...who knows if the story was true in the first place...

The bottomline do not single out a specific nationatility or do not generalize and point out that those are the qualities of all Filipinos...

I have 20 good and responsible Filipino friends and that outnumbers those in your story, can I say othewise about them? No..because everyone has good and bad qualities..every individual, take note..every individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,814 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This is different . Our sovereign is being challenged. Already not an issue of xenophobia already . And It is no longer the point that this is one 1 or 2 isolated cases.

If I were to "brainwash" my kid that we will take over Australia, Hong Kong ?
I couldnt help myself but laugh on this comnent...

how would that possible that they will takeover SG's sovereignity...1st it is not constitutionally viable, 2nd, these are migrants and not soldiers or politicians...3rd, go to China and they will tell you what sovereignity is...in CCP's own definition ;-).

this post is getting funny...and some minorities thinking that migrants are taking over a nation's sovereignity is much more laughable...what's this a prank?lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
 
22 posts, read 26,775 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
I couldnt help myself but laugh on this comnent...

how would that possible that they will takeover SG's sovereignity...1st it is not constitutionally viable, 2nd, these are migrants and not soldiers or politicians...3rd, go to China and they will tell you what sovereignity is...in CCP's own definition ;-).

this post is getting funny...and some minorities thinking that migrants are taking over a nation's sovereignity is much more laughable...what's this a prank?lol
by exporting too many immigrant to one country you challenge its sovereignty, what do you think will happen if Philippines and Singapore had conflict, its will also created conflict inside Singapore, because unfortunately those people would take their government side.

Singapore need some immigrant workers to some extent, but not to much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 PM
 
22 posts, read 26,775 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Pem123,
Unfortunately Orchard is irrelevant. The large number of Filipinos devalues Filipinos in the eyes of Singaporeans, so much so that scholarship students and professionals from the Philippines are also degraded. I would also add that since most educated Filipinos speak an English that superior to Singlish and mix much more readily within the international community, there is insult added to injury. Whatever anger toward Filipinos is not shared with peoples of other nationalities.

Normalzation will take many decades and perhaps an end to the way domestic servants are imported.

S.
it is relevant

other countries degenerated immigrant to certain extent, well unless you have money and education. and i don't see pinoy English superior to Singlish. Singaporean learn English since they were little kids, for me they have far superior English than Pinoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 PM
 
1,234 posts, read 1,184,961 times
Reputation: 1288
Wow. I didn't know my countrymen is treated like that in Singapore like Mexicans are treated here in US.

Same root of hatred - they're taking the jobs of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,814 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem123 View Post
by exporting too many immigrant to one country you challenge its sovereignty, what do you think will happen if Philippines and Singapore had conflict, its will also created conflict inside Singapore, because unfortunately those people would take their government side.

Singapore need some immigrant workers to some extent, but not to much.
you mean "migrants" instead of #immigrants#...these 2 are different.
Migrants are temporary based on work pass contracts...immigrants are permanent residents and/or in the process of getting their host country's citizenship.

most of foreign workers in SG including Filipinos are migrants...and with SG stringent new policies on PRship now...these migrants cant get an immigrant status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,814 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem123 View Post
it is relevant

other countries degenerated immigrant to certain extent, well unless you have money and education. and i don't see pinoy English superior to Singlish. Singaporean learn English since they were little kids, for me they have far superior English than Pinoy
so as the Indians! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top