U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
 
22 posts, read 26,720 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
so as the Indians! lol
what do you meant by that statement, some Indians born and live in SG are consider in Singaporean. their people has been in Singapore for a long time as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,678 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem123 View Post
what do you meant by that statement, some Indians born and live in SG are consider in Singaporean. their people has been in Singapore for a long time as well
Sorry...what i mean was "so as Indians' (from India) english...since you were saying that you learned English from childhood, thus your English is superior than Filipino's english....

if this was ur argument then...so as Indian english because they may also learned english fr childhood...

but, so do Filipinos..they learn their English from childhood...and also some from other countries....

I think there are no superior or inferior English...there are only proficient, non-proficient (and in-between) english users.
Thus you just cant say Sg english is superior to others...since it is not.

catch my drift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 PM
 
22 posts, read 26,720 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Sorry...what i mean was "so as Indians' (from India) english...since you were saying that you learned English from childhood, thus your English is superior than Filipino's english....

if this was ur argument then...so as Indian english because they may also learned english fr childhood...

but, so do Filipinos..they learn their English from childhood...and also some from other countries....

I think there are no superior or inferior English...there are only proficient, non-proficient (and in-between) english users.
Thus you just cant say Sg english is superior to others...since it is not.

catch my drift?
i dont think any English is superior than others, its just one easier to understand. i think British English are harder to understand than SG English, that doesn't make SG English superior.



and i dont learn English from my Childhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:50 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,678 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem123 View Post
i dont think any English is superior than others, its just one easier to understand. i think British English are harder to understand than SG English, that doesn't make SG English superior.



and i dont learn English from my Childhood
thanks. sorry i may hv misinterpreted ur previous reply.

variations in english accents just make english language rich.

going back......

migrants could and would not in anyway overpower any governments...or sovereignty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
 
22 posts, read 26,720 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
thanks. sorry i may hv misinterpreted ur previous reply.

variations in english accents just make english language rich.

going back......

migrants could and would not in anyway overpower any governments...or sovereignty.
maybe not now, but soon they will be more and more of them and it started stealing SG people jobs, and next the more skilled work were given to trained immigrant or migrant because they are willing to get less pay. and they also sent the money back home so its getting the economy smaller than what it suppose to be. minimizing the multiplier affect. the more Immigrant and Migrant the more powerful they are, because it increase their spending power and contribution to the economy. and when you have strong economic base you have a strong political base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,678 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem123 View Post
maybe not now, but soon they will be more and more of them and it started stealing SG people jobs, and next the more skilled work were given to trained immigrant or migrant because they are willing to get less pay. and they also sent the money back home so its getting the economy smaller than what it suppose to be. minimizing the multiplier affect. the more Immigrant and Migrant the more powerful they are, because it increase their spending power and contribution to the economy. and when you have strong economic base you have a strong political base.

hey dude...do you understand anything about national sovereignty and what a free economy / capitalism are at all?

migrants would not become citizens unless they applied for naturalization and the host government approved their naturalization then they become citizens...that's the time they can participate in the political process.

immigrants on the other hand, though they are permanent residents, they still could not participate in any political process like participates in electing government leaders unless they became naturalized citizens.

so how in real life they can directly influence the government in changing the constitution through elections and referendums or unseat the national leader?

on stealing jobs?
how would they "steal" jobs when these jobs are offered to them by the companies legally under the government's ministry of labor's guidelines? it is not stealing my friend by a job offer on the part of the company and job acceptance on the part of the employee; that is the foreign employee for that matter.

about the pay?
SG is a now the most expensive city for expats / foreign workers do you know that? the foreign employee would consider these "expenses" in living in the most expensive city and at the same time sending money back home for their personal savings, family financial responsibilities, etc...they are earning an honest living my friend...they are busy doing some monetary budgeting and thinking their families they left...and you are still thinking that they are threats to your country??

how would sending money back to their countries from their hard-earned jobs be a threat to SG economy?
the money they send back for their families are what they earned from working...
they work...they deliver products and services for the company...the company delivers services and products to their customers...the customers pay the company...the company pay taxes to the government...the company pays the workers...The customer is satisfied...The company earns...The government earns...The worker is paid... Does the economy get smaller as you pointed out? No! The economy booms! If their spending power increases, then they spend more money both in the host country and in their own country, and what will happen? the economy booms!

on cheap labor?
yup, it's a reality that companies main annual goal is to gain profits...who would want that? unfortunately, many small and medium companies would not and could not afford to hire people who are looking for a high pay and at the same time shun menial jobs...they would not survive a week, I tell you.
for bigger companies, established ones...would you hire an experienced guy over a fresh-from-the-campus applicant if the inexperienced applicant demands a pay as much as the experienced guy? be practical, especially if the job is critical to the company? put your feet on the shoes of these CEO's.
again...it's the prerogative of the company to hire what is better to them, of course under the guidelines of the government's ministry of labor on fair practices of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Pem123,
Unfortunately Orchard is irrelevant.
The large number of Filipinos devalues q in the eyes of Singaporeans, so much so that scholarship students and professionals from the Philippines are also degraded. I would also add that since most educated Filipinos speak an English that superior to Singlish and mix much more readily within the international community, there is insult added to injury. Whatever anger toward Filipinos is not shared with peoples of other nationalities.

Normalzation will take many decades and perhaps an end to the way domestic servants are imported.

S.
Unless you are a Singaporean, I don't see you having any right to make this comment that ORchard Road is irrelevant ..
Even SIngaporeans like myself don't dare to determine and decide singlehandedly whether ORchard ROad is relevant .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
hey dude...do you understand anything about national sovereignty and what a free economy / capitalism are at all?

migrants would not become citizens unless they applied for naturalization and the host government approved their naturalization then they become citizens...that's the time they can participate in the political process.

immigrants on the other hand, though they are permanent residents, they still could not participate in any political process like participates in electing government leaders unless they became naturalized citizens.

so how in real life they can directly influence the government in changing the constitution through elections and referendums or unseat the national leader?

on stealing jobs?
how would they "steal" jobs when these jobs are offered to them by the companies legally under the government's ministry of labor's guidelines? it is not stealing my friend by a job offer on the part of the company and job acceptance on the part of the employee; that is the foreign employee for that matter.

about the pay?
SG is a now the most expensive city for expats / foreign workers do you know that? the foreign employee would consider these "expenses" in living in the most expensive city and at the same time sending money back home for their personal savings, family financial responsibilities, etc...they are earning an honest living my friend...they are busy doing some monetary budgeting and thinking their families they left...and you are still thinking that they are threats to your country??

how would sending money back to their countries from their hard-earned jobs be a threat to SG economy?
the money they send back for their families are what they earned from working...
they work...they deliver products and services for the company...the company delivers services and products to their customers...the customers pay the company...the company pay taxes to the government...the company pays the workers...The customer is satisfied...The company earns...The government earns...The worker is paid... Does the economy get smaller as you pointed out? No! The economy booms! If their spending power increases, then they spend more money both in the host country and in their own country, and what will happen? the economy booms!

on cheap labor?
yup, it's a reality that companies main annual goal is to gain profits...who would want that? unfortunately, many small and medium companies would not and could not afford to hire people who are looking for a high pay and at the same time shun menial jobs...they would not survive a week, I tell you.
for bigger companies, established ones...would you hire an experienced guy over a fresh-from-the-campus applicant if the inexperienced applicant demands a pay as much as the experienced guy? be practical, especially if the job is critical to the company? put your feet on the shoes of these CEO's.
again...it's the prerogative of the company to hire what is better to them, of course under the guidelines of the government's ministry of labor on fair practices of employment.
This is long but all I want to say is .. No matter what you say .. Singaporeans want less foreigners ..

Honestly Singapore seems to have some knotty problems on hand..

http://ww.washingtonpost.com/blogs/w...orkers-either/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 PM
 
110 posts, read 106,678 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This is long but all I want to say is .. No matter what you say .. Singaporeans want less foreigners ..

Honestly Singapore seems to have some knotty problems on hand..

http://ww.washingtonpost.com/blogs/w...orkers-either/
maybe you meant "some small numbers of sgporeans"..those "minorities"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 AM
 
22 posts, read 26,720 times
Reputation: 17
If you dont think sgp people becoming minority and foreigner have majority ownership of wealth and income disturb singaporean people soverignity i dont know what to say to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top