Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyoutl View Post
Those people that do not hire foreign domestic helpers resent them, the bosses of the helpers are more tolerant. These foreigners in Singapore are on a work visa only, they should learn that they are not the citizens of the country and they are not in the process to become citizens. Citizens should always have priority in their own country.
If only the PAP understand that !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
You aren't Singaporean by anyway I suppose ??
Nope, am not. Just some kind of typo which I have corrected.
I mean, it's all about only themselves (citizens of Singapore), it's really kind of selfish without regard to other people. I certainly do understand you have more rights in your own country, but for others to hold a celebration, applying for a permit and planning all these two months ahead of time and moving it to a Sunday instead is respectful enough, and that's actually something very minor to give actually.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
If only the PAP understand that !!!
Priority for the same thing, though...being able to celebrate your national holiday is not the same thing as getting somehow offended because it reminds you of illegal immigration or something...if they don't like it, just don't watch it, simple!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If that is what Singapore law requires, then the Singapore police/government has the authority to stop it. Or they can apply for a permit and if granted, then they'll be there. It's still more than a month away. I don't get how that is a big deal one way or the other.

If you feel so strongly about this along with other Singaporeans, then go ahead. But the eventual decision on how this works out will have an impact on how Singapore is seen from outside. If the permit stipulates that they should limit the number of people, make sure traffic is not affected, not to be too loud, blah blah blah, it can be talked about. How the people opposing this is handling it so badly... it's only about as citizens of Singapore. People forget that these people are working for Singaporeans, the visas are issued by the Singaporean government and that they are working for the benefit of the Singaporean economy. And this is like a once in a year event.

Actually, there aren't any large celebrations in the Philippines for Independence Day. It's far from being the Fourth of July in the US or October 1 in China or even October 10 in Taiwan. And the fact that it's been moved to a Sunday as a more convenient way to celebrate there in Singapore just means they just want some kind of celebration and get together. I think Singaporeans are taking this matter more seriously than any Filipino.

Whatever it is by insisting on this event when the owners of the land have already shown their discomfort is pretty imposing.

I can't say for other Singaporeans , but I myself don't care what others think about us anymore I just want my land back !!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
I don't get why they are so furious with the celebration of the Philippine Independence Day.
Filipinos celebrate it every where in the world.
Is the Philippine Embassy big enough to accomodate all the Filipinos in Singapore ? For sure, it is not big enough that is why they are going to do it some where else.

Singaporeans should accept that there are Filipino communities in Singapore and most ethnic communities really have their own celebrations. Why does it seem hard for them to understand this ? I am beginning to believe that Asians are really more racist than Western people. We celebrate Independence Day and other cultural events in Portugal and they do not say anything about it... There are even some who attend our events and participate in the activities.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM

Call me xenophobic , intolerant , petty whatever .. I don't care I just want my land back..

The thing that pisses me of as a SIngaporean is how our PM Says some Singaporeans are a disgrace for opposing the event..

He is supporting the pinoys rather than us who given him his position in he first place.. If we didn't give him the mandate would he be there? And now biting the finger that feeds him

So for that, you know how I am going to cast my vote in 2015/2016

Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Call me xenophobic , intolerant , petty whatever .. I don't care I just want my land back..

The thing that pisses me of as a SIngaporean is how our PM Says some Singaporeans are a disgrace for opposing the event..

He is supporting the pinoys rather than us who given him his position in he first place.. If we didn't give him the mandate would he be there? And now biting the finger that feeds him

So for that, you know how I am going to cast my vote in 2015/2016
He is just being reasonable !

Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Whatever it is by insisting on this event when the owners of the land have already shown their discomfort is pretty imposing.

I can't say for other Singaporeans , but I myself don't care what others think about us anymore I just want my land back !!
Since you yourself said the Singapore PM is fine with it, then who else should the organizers of the event ask permission from? If it's not the law in Singapore, then why should every event that is held on Orchard Road be put to the vote and every Singaporean has to approve?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:

Getting a permit and holding an event on Orchard Road (a small portion of Singapore) for a FEW HOURS on one Sunday in a year is NOT TAKING YOUR LAND AWAY FROM YOU!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Getting a permit and holding an event on Orchard Road (a small portion of Singapore) for a FEW HOURS on one Sunday in a year is NOT TAKING YOUR LAND AWAY FROM YOU!
Jajaja agree !!!!
It's only for 3 - 4 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia