U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Jersey
2,301 posts, read 3,403,448 times
Reputation: 2039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Do you feel there is something about Abrahamic religion that will never sit well with the Indian psyche/worldview? (notwithstanding those who have converted to Islam or Christianity). I mean it seems neither Buddhism, or Islam or Christianity was ever able to usurp the ancient Brahmic folk beliefs that are classified under the term 'Hinduism', a religion older than any other major religion today.

I mean everything from linear time, the fact we only get one shot at life (which determines our eternal destiny) etc...
Most Hindus don't see a concrete distinction between "Buddhism" and "Hinduism" even though you could make some academic distinctions. The difference between Dharmic and Abrahamic religous thinking that is that in Abrahmaic thought, man is deficient and needs to be subservient/dependent to/on who amounts to be more or less a narcissist and sadist of supra-cosmic proportions. In "Hinduism", the body is the temple for the divine and one serves the divine out of piety and love of righteousness by keeping their thoughts and actions pure and just out of their own free will. One has few absolutes; the other has many.

Buddha was a Hindu Prince turned spiritual/philosophical seeker who had his own understanding of "truth" within the realm of Dharmic thought like many other seekers/teachers in his day. The only reason a clear distinction is made between him and his contemporaries is that his followers were successful in the political and marketing departments, sort of like that guy that everyone calls Jesus.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 04-22-2014 at 01:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Most Hindus don't see a concrete distinction between "Buddhism" and "Hinduism" even though you could make some academic distinctions. The difference between Dharmic and Abrahamic religous thinking that is that in Abrahmaic thought, man is deficient and needs to be subservient/dependent to/on who amounts to be more or less a narcissist and sadist of supra-cosmic proportions. In "Hinduism", the body is the temple for the divine and one serves the divine out of piety and love of righteousness by keeping their thoughts and actions pure and just out of their own free will. One has few absolutes; the other has many.

Buddha was a Hindu Prince turned spiritual/philosophical seeker who had his own understanding of "truth" within the realm of Dharmic thought like many other seekers/teachers in his day. The only reason a clear distinction is made between him and his contemporaries is that his followers were successful in the political and marketing departments, sort of like that guy that everyone calls Jesus.
Well yes, Buddhism is a sort of offshoot of Hinduism the same way Christianity grew out of Judaism. Buddha retained a belief in the cycle of birth-rebirth, and wasn't too outspoken on the status of Hindu deities. Both Hinduism and Buddhism can be interpreted in a very abstract manner. It can be as monotheistic, or pantheistic or polytheistic as you wish depending on your worldview.

The Buddhism practised in much of Asia is highly syncretic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
 
399 posts, read 581,230 times
Reputation: 319
There is probably growth but like in Communist and Islamic countries Christians practice underground. I met a Chinese girl that was interested in Christianity. I could tell that she was new to Christianity but she was genuinely interested. She later made it to the U.S. and is practicing. People there practice but underground. If the government finds out it's trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
There is probably growth but like in Communist and Islamic countries Christians practice underground. I met a Chinese girl that was interested in Christianity. I could tell that she was new to Christianity but she was genuinely interested. She later made it to the U.S. and is practicing. People there practice but underground. If the government finds out it's trouble.
thats totally BS.
There are christian churchs in many Chinese cities, and people are free to practice any religion as long as it is not considered anti-government. Government officials are exceptions as they are not allowed to be affiliated to any religion in principle.

Please stop spreading wrong information you have no idea of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese people are too "realistic" to be religious in general.

If you do some research, you will find Christian churches grow fast mainly in rural China, where people have no education. Urban youth are not really attracted to Christianity that much, except for some trendy-wannabe girls.
you are exactly right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
There is probably growth but like in Communist and Islamic countries Christians practice underground. I met a Chinese girl that was interested in Christianity. I could tell that she was new to Christianity but she was genuinely interested. She later made it to the U.S. and is practicing. People there practice but underground. If the government finds out it's trouble.
Yeah a i have a couple of Chinese friends who are Christian who have moved here, at least for now. They converted in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
thats totally BS.
There are christian churchs in many Chinese cities, and people are free to practice any religion as long as it is not considered anti-government. Government officials are exceptions as they are not allowed to be affiliated to any religion in principle.

Please stop spreading wrong information you have no idea of.
Then why are there so many underground churches? Most of these are apolitical. And of course what about Falun Dafa/Gong? Why is the government oppressing them so much? I think the party is still afraid of anything that will threaten people's loyalty to it, although they're realising they're not as zealously loyal as they were in the Maoist era...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM
 
399 posts, read 581,230 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
thats totally BS.
There are christian churchs in many Chinese cities, and people are free to practice any religion as long as it is not considered anti-government. Government officials are exceptions as they are not allowed to be affiliated to any religion in principle.

Please stop spreading wrong information you have no idea of.
Maybe you know better, maybe things have changed. But there are still underground meetings and the government controlled churches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5rqOICgRwA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Then why are there so many underground churches? Most of these are apolitical. And of course what about Falun Dafa/Gong? Why is the government oppressing them so much? I think the party is still afraid of anything that will threaten people's loyalty to it, although they're realising they're not as zealously loyal as they were in the Maoist era...
Falun Gong is not a religion.

Those who accuse the CCP of prosecuting Falun Gong, do you know back in the days during its popularity, leaders of Falun Gong basically told the followers not to go to the hospital to seek treatment when they get sick, even when it is criticial? Many gullible people believed that and ended up dead.

I agree China's action against Falun Gong, which is not an anti-CCP organization, is a bit extreme, but don't make it sound like Falun Gong is some sort of innocent victim who did nothing wrong. It got so much momentum and power and the central government started to get worried. I am not sure what triggered the hard-handed crackdown though.

The Chinese constitution recognizes freedom of religion, on the condition that such religions don't harm the physical and mental health of the people and don't disturb social order.

In case you didn't know, no "freedom" is limitless. There is always boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Falun Gong is not a religion.

Those who accuse the CCP of prosecuting Falun Gong, do you know back in the days during its popularity, leaders of Falun Gong basically told the followers not to go to the hospital to seek treatment when they get sick, even when it is criticial? Many gullible people believed that and ended up dead.

I agree China's action against Falun Gong, which is not an anti-CCP organization, is a bit extreme, but don't make it sound like Falun Gong is some sort of innocent victim who did nothing wrong. It got so much momentum and power and the central government started to get worried. I am not sure what triggered the hard-handed crackdown though.

The Chinese constitution recognizes freedom of religion, on the condition that such religions don't harm the physical and mental health of the people and don't disturb social order.

In case you didn't know, no "freedom" is limitless. There is always boundaries.
Well yeah I don't know much about the whole thing with Falun Gong. I see a lot of people here with posters showing organ harvesting and dead people and stuff...

it's funny you mention mental health. I would say my mental health was damaged by the notion of a wrathful God who would send you to some eternal 'lake of fire.' I once spoke to a Chinese friend who I was helping with her English who is also Christian about this and she seemed shocked that God would do such a thing. I'm no atheist, but yeah I can no longer believe in that sort of thing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top