U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
Religion in South Korea:

Christianity - 52%
Buddhism - 22.8%
Irreligion - 46.5%
Other religion - 1.7%

Korean Americans:

Christianity - 71%
Buddhism - 6%
Unaffiliated - 23%
What, that doesn't even add up...

Religion in South Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I haven't really spoken to my Chinese friend about this, but she didn't really mention being persecuted. It's true that the persecution of Christians is often emphasised, but it's of course hard to know the true figures in countries like China or Myanmar. I have another friend, a Karen from Burma/Myanmar who says that the Karen were heavily persecuted by the Burmese government, partly because many were Christian.
Some of it also has to do with what different cultures view as "oppression."

In the West, not having the freedom to start up your own church and vocally and publicly practice your religion while trying to gain converts is generally viewed as oppressive. In China, it's viewed as something practical. I've spoken to Chinese people who are surprised to find out that anyone in the US can just start their own church, whether or not they are a religious scholar and no matter what the teachings are. There are no thought police in China so you can think what you want and decide that you're going to believe whatever, but the actual public expression of it is something that is regulated... and most Chinese seem to be content with that.

There are certainly countries where Christians are persecuted which is of course not a good thing, though really, China isn't one of them. The Chinese government is not singling out Christians and making them do hard labor or selectively stripping their rights away versus other Chinese citizens. And I get really sick of the narratives of Christian oppression in America, where the decision that a teacher can't fail a non-Christian student for not answering a faith-based question that panders to the teacher's religion is all of a sudden an example of oppression.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Some of it also has to do with what different cultures view as "oppression."

In the West, not having the freedom to start up your own church and vocally and publicly practice your religion while trying to gain converts is generally viewed as oppressive. In China, it's viewed as something practical. I've spoken to Chinese people who are surprised to find out that anyone in the US can just start their own church, whether or not they are a religious scholar and no matter what the teachings are. There are no thought police in China so you can think what you want and decide that you're going to believe whatever, but the actual public expression of it is something that is regulated... and most Chinese seem to be content with that.

There are certainly countries where Christians are persecuted which is of course not a good thing, though really, China isn't one of them. The Chinese government is not singling out Christians and making them do hard labor or selectively stripping their rights away versus other Chinese citizens. And I get really sick of the narratives of Christian oppression in America, where the decision that a teacher can't fail a non-Christian student for not answering a faith-based question that panders to the teacher's religion is all of a sudden an example of oppression.
Yes but how do you know all the goings on of the Communist government? If you're not involved in it, you can't fully know. But yes, there are no doubt exaggerations too.

I think though the government isn't as hostile to religions as it once was, though, as there isn't as much a Mao-style cult of personality anymore.

I agree that Christians aren't really persecuted in the US, although are atheists really persecuted? In Australia they certainly are not. Christians are not persecuted, but sometimes made fun of here, even if we're supposed to be 60% Christian (it feels more like half that really).

Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM

336 posts, read 323,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes but how do you know all the goings on of the Communist government? If you're not involved in it, you can't fully know. But yes, there are no doubt exaggerations too.

I think though the government isn't as hostile to religions as it once was, though, as there isn't as much a Mao-style cult of personality anymore.

I agree that Christians aren't really persecuted in the US, although are atheists really persecuted? In Australia they certainly are not. Christians are not persecuted, but sometimes made fun of here, even if we're supposed to be 60% Christian (it feels more like half that really).
Atheists in Australia do not sue Christians over religion in public, unlike in the U.S. which is a major problem because atheists seem to enjoy and use their First Amendment rights and issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or