U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,113,918 times

Advertisements

I was just reading this article saying that searches about Christianity in China by far exceed searches relating to Communism. Is Christianity growing quickly in China and could you see China becoming a Christian country in say 50 or 100 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times
Hmmm...it's hard to say, since you can't always trust the official figures. Estimate are like 15-50 million Christians in China, which is still of course not high in a country of 1.4 billion, but I think they're growing steadily. I can't see it becoming majority Christian anytime soon, but I guess it's possible.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:39 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Haha, no, not by a massive margin. I don't think it will ever become a Christian majority nation, and that it's not likely that it'll ever make up more than a couple % of the population. As of now, I do not know a single Christian here in China who isn't a Westerner; nearly all of the Chinese people I know here speak English, which would likely increase their chances of having exposure to Christianity.

I have one Chinese friend who met a pair of Christian missionaries who were here as teachers, and she became interested in it based on what they told her about peace and love and unity. I ruined that when I started reading parts of the old testament with her... :X

I think that there is a growing interest in it, certainly, but that doesn't necessarily pan out into conversions. Especially in the aftermath of 9/11, many people decided to look into Islam to understand better the context of radicals' antagonization of the West, but how many of them actually converted? Or, take the owner of my company, for instance... her mother is a Chinese Christian, and she knows all about the religion, but views it as superstitious nonsense, as is increasingly the case with Westerners such as myself who grew up in a Christian household but walked away from it after finding it difficult to reconcile with reality. Chinese people grow up knowing all about communism but not much about Christianity, so it makes sense if there are more internet searches for Christianity than Communism. People are interested in it as it's a hugely influential part of Western history, and particularly with the US, they're curious as to what relation it has to its history and culture, but most of them view the actual religion itself as strange and silly... the idea of a virgin birth, the idea of an ascention to heaven and rebirth, the stories of walking on water and whatnot just seem odd to them, especially considering they have no historical cultural context from which to draw off of that you would have for a Westerner who's a non-Christian.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
No, not in the near future. The Communist Party simply won't allow it. For those who do not know, a lot of the Chinese leaders during the Republican era were actually Christians. Sun Yat-sen, Chiang Kai-shek, Chiang Ching-kuo, the Soong family and other influential figures during the Chinese Civil War were Christians, although some were not practicing Christians. But still, that is enough for the Communist Party to keep a close eye on any Christian activity within the country.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 AM

The Taiping rebellion is sometimes seen as led by Christians, but the guy was more a cult leader (who believed he was the brother of Jesus Christ) with pretty far out wacky ideas.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
There are 4 recognized religions in China and Christianity is one of them, but I don't see Christianity becoming the religion of the majority of the population.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Communism? Do you live in the 1950? Nobody in China is interested in communism, including the top CCP executives. Its national media doesn't even mention the term communism any more, while so many westerners are still holding on to the cold war mindset bringing up communism from time to time.

As to Christianity, no way. The Chinese are too practical to truly believe in Christianity/God/Jesus. Plus, if Jesus is supposed to be white and God is always depicted as a Caucasian, I doubt a country with 1.3 billion people will pray to a God that is not even Asian (Korea might, Singapore might, but not China). Christianity does exist among small groups, more as a fad like they adore Starbucks/Gucci as a western brand/lifestyle.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Communism? Do you live in the 1950? Nobody in China is interested in communism, including the top CCP executives. Its national media doesn't even mention the term communism any more, while so many westerners are still holding on to the cold war mindset bringing up communism from time to time.

As to Christianity, no way. The Chinese are too practical to truly believe in Christianity/God/Jesus. Plus, if Jesus is supposed to be white and God is always depicted as a Caucasian, I doubt a country with 1.3 billion people will pray to a God that is not even Asian (Korea might, Singapore might, but not China). Christianity does exist among small groups, more as a fad like they adore Starbucks/Gucci as a western brand/lifestyle.
Why would the fact Jesus is Jewish be a problem for them? It didn't bother Christians in Africa, for instance.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:34 AM

164 posts, read 220,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The Taiping rebellion is sometimes seen as led by Christians, but the guy was more a cult leader (who believed he was the brother of Jesus Christ) with pretty far out wacky ideas.
Hong Xiuquan creates his own ideology by just borrowing a name..

Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why would the fact Jesus is Jewish be a problem for them? It didn't bother Christians in Africa, for instance.
because China is a big country with rich history and high pride. It is unimaginable for such a country to adopt a foreign religion as its national religion, or a God of a difference skin colour.

For China to become Christian is like for hamburgers to become the national food. Completely impossible.

In history, China only exports its culture to neighbours (all Asian countries are heavily influenced by the Chinese culture). It imports some also, but nothing foreign has the chance to dominate. China's culture is too deep and broad to allow that from happening. China will never be as westernized as small countries such as Singapore.

People on this board often use westernized as a positive word. In China, it is viewed differently. The young generation is only "westernized" on a very superficial level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or