U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:32 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times

Advertisements

Singapore is a developed, first world and very global economy, it's not particularly religious, and it's people pretty open to change and new things...yet I've heard some say it's 'conservative', in the western and more general sense of the word. Maybe things like the relative lack of protest of homosexuality being illegal, or the government using Confucianism to make children support their parents. Or perhaps support for the death penalty.

In general, however, I don't know if I'd agree. Maybe they're conservative compared to the Dutch, but their views on say traditions, sex, politics.etc seem to run the gamut, and are probably more progressive than most of Asia.

I'd say the government might have some conservative bent, but I'd rank Singapore as one of the top 5 most liberal countries in Asia (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Japan might round out the list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,356 times
This is very subjective and debatable.:

Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This is very subjective and debatable.:
Give us your point of view singaporelady.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 AM

Singapore is still conservative in a way that single parent family is not encouraged, single parent families have asked why the govt does not give them as much the answer was our society does not particularly enocurage single parent family ..

And conservative in a sense extra martial affairs of leaders are a big taboo.. In Europe and maybe some other countries in Asia if the PRime minister had an affair people don't care but in Singapore he will definitely be out of office immediately ..

There is also a very strong traditional view of right age for leadership , Harry's son have said t is best he step down before 70 cos he doesn't look go for a country's leader to be too old..

His successor also have to be of the right age , around early to mid 40s to be ready to take over in a few years time

Old 04-20-2014, 04:03 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
If we're talking about the Singaporean people and not the government, I personally haven't heard them described as conservative. Rather, along with Hong Kong, the people in Singapore are often described as being pragmatic, apolitical and materialistic. Japan and Taiwan can fit the liberal definition in most senses, but if we use the American definition, the Philippines can hardly be considered liberal. Filipino Americans are considered among the most conservative among the minority groups. Filipinos are among the most religious and the Philippines consistently ranks among countries with the highest church attendance in the world.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Singapore is still conservative in a way that single parent family is not encouraged, single parent families have asked why the govt does not give them as much the answer was our society does not particularly enocurage single parent family ..

And conservative in a sense extra martial affairs of leaders are a big taboo.. In Europe and maybe some other countries in Asia if the PRime minister had an affair people don't care but in Singapore he will definitely be out of office immediately ..

There is also a very strong traditional view of right age for leadership , Harry's son have said t is best he step down before 70 cos he doesn't look go for a country's leader to be too old..

His successor also have to be of the right age , around early to mid 40s to be ready to take over in a few years time
Yet Bill Gates' affair basically ruined his political career, but then again he lied about it. JFK was a well known philanderer but that was covered up.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If we're talking about the Singaporean people and not the government, I personally haven't heard them described as conservative. Rather, along with Hong Kong, the people in Singapore are often described as being pragmatic, apolitical and materialistic. Japan and Taiwan can fit the liberal definition in most senses, but if we use the American definition, the Philippines can hardly be considered liberal. Filipino Americans are considered among the most conservative among the minority groups. Filipinos are among the most religious and the Philippines consistently ranks among countries with the highest church attendance in the world.
Yes the Filipinos always seemed conservative yet some here say it's pretty liberal, so yeah, I don't really know. I know Taiwan is liberal though, the first pride parade in Asia was held in Taipei.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yet Bill Gates' affair basically ruined his political career, but then again he lied about it. JFK was a well known philanderer but that was covered up.
An affair may ruin , but not immediate stepping down. In Singapore it would be pretty immediate step down.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I agree Singaporeans are pragmatic and materialistic , but I don't see how that relates to whether we are conservative or not..

But maybe I would agree with you if we are talking about our people and not our govt, policies , laws and rules , Singapore is hardly conservative

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM

448 posts, read 499,256 times
Are you talking about girls' make-ups, hairstyles, fashion, sex culture, education or interracial marriage. Conservative or not can be about many things.

For Asia, I think Japan is very not conservative and true that it is not religious. Modern Japan is more similiar to the US than Korea and China. As more attitude, Singapore is still considered Asian and not western as the western countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Singapore is a developed, first world and very global economy, it's not particularly religious, and it's people pretty open to change and new things...yet I've heard some say it's 'conservative', in the western and more general sense of the word. Maybe things like the relative lack of protest of homosexuality being illegal, or the government using Confucianism to make children support their parents. Or perhaps support for the death penalty.

In general, however, I don't know if I'd agree. Maybe they're conservative compared to the Dutch, but their views on say traditions, sex, politics.etc seem to run the gamut, and are probably more progressive than most of Asia.

I'd say the government might have some conservative bent, but I'd rank Singapore as one of the top 5 most liberal countries in Asia (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Japan might round out the list).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or