U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times

Advertisements

Straits Settlements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article explains what the Straits Settlements were (I wasn't aware of 'Dinding' so I won't really talk about it much).

I know most will probably not know much about this topic, but there are obvious similarities between the settlements of Penang (especially George Town), Malacca (Melaka) and Singapore. All were among the first settlements founded by the Europeans/British (or claimed, rather), major trade centres, with large Hokkien (a 'dialect' group from Fujian province, China) as well as Indian, and assorted others like Arabs, Portuguese, Europeans, as well as the local Malays.

My father was from Penang and my mother was from Singapore, so it is of course relevant to my own history. Peranakan culture is of course a thing which unites the three, and Peranakan cultures also exist in Phuket/southern Thailand and Indonesia.

Many of the townhouses in George Town, Malacca, Singapore look similar too.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 AM

376 posts, read 743,433 times
Nice Thread
By the way..(-_-) What is the most dominant Peranakan culture in Singapore & Malaysia? how your family tradition on Chinese New Year's Day ? is there a tradition of "Angpao" or presents the 12 types of food or wearing clothes red on Chinese New Year day etc. ? ^^^^

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Nice Thread
By the way..(-_-) What is the most dominant Peranakan culture in Singapore & Malaysia? how your family tradition on Chinese New Year's Day ? is there a tradition of "Angpao" or presents the 12 types of food or wearing clothes red on Chinese New Year day etc. ? ^^^^
Yes, my grandmother was Peranakan from Penang. Unfortunately she died before I was born so I don't know much about that side of the family. Like many Straits Chinese families they were pretty wealthy.

Well we personally didn't celebrate it much although our parents did give us 'ang pao' or red packets...my mum told us of how Chinese New Year was such a big deal in Singapore when she was growing up.

Speaking of which, do you know much about the Hokkien community in Medan? Like how mixed they are (both culturally as well as genetically)? Are they pretty similar to the Penang Hokkiens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfe3v2_xVhM

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, my grandmother was Peranakan from Penang. Unfortunately she died before I was born so I don't know much about that side of the family. Like many Straits Chinese families they were pretty wealthy.

Well we personally didn't celebrate it much although our parents did give us 'ang pao' or red packets...my mum told us of how Chinese New Year was such a big deal in Singapore when she was growing up.

Speaking of which, do you know much about the Hokkien community in Medan? Like how mixed they are (both culturally as well as genetically)? Are they pretty similar to the Penang Hokkiens?
Oh really interesting story
You get Ang Pao in the chinese new year yesterday? it means you are not married? hahaha,
I do not know Hokkien Medan living in Sumatra, which I know they live in Jakarta mostly as a merchant and maybe they culture be similar to that Penang Hokkiens, oh yeah I Think the physical appearance is more Chinese visible than most and they still speak Khek/Hokkien except the young child or children them speaking Jakarta and Indonesian language.
I look at the vidio was very similar to the lives of those living in Jakarta and Jakarta suburb ^^^^

Old 04-23-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Oh really interesting story
You get Ang Pao in the chinese new year yesterday? it means you are not married? hahaha,
I do not know Hokkien Medan living in Sumatra, which I know they live in Jakarta mostly as a merchant and maybe they culture be similar to that Penang Hokkiens, oh yeah I Think the physical appearance is more Chinese visible than most and they still speak Khek/Hokkien except the young child or children them speaking Jakarta and Indonesian language.
I look at the vidio was very similar to the lives of those living in Jakarta and Jakarta suburb ^^^^
This year you mean? No, but last year my auntie gave me quite a generous sum.

Would you say they're not very friendly? IDK it seems from the video they didn't seem too friendly, not many smiles, maybe they don't like being filmed?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
This year you mean? No, but last year my auntie gave me quite a generous sum.
Would you say they're not very friendly? IDK it seems from the video they didn't seem too friendly, not many smiles, maybe they don't like being filmed?
Oh Nice,

Oh! true you said (^-^) ,they are not friendly and have an attitude are hard but somehow I do not like to talk about Hokkien Medan. So.. Oh this Vidio is Hokkien Medan living in Penang?
I think they have a somewhat different attitude from Chinese Java, they more resemble Chinese bangka / Chinese palembang , i think so ^^^^

Old 04-23-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Oh Nice,

Oh! true you said (^-^) ,they are not friendly and have an attitude are hard but somehow I do not like to talk about Hokkien Medan. So.. Oh this Vidio is Hokkien Medan living in Penang?
I think they have a somewhat different attitude from Chinese Java, they more resemble Chinese bangka / Chinese palembang , i think so ^^^^
Less integrated right? Most Chinese Indonesians/Javanese speak Indonesian as their first language, have Indonesian names etc. Would you say most Chinese Javanese are 'mixed'?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Less integrated right? Most Chinese Indonesians/Javanese speak Indonesian as their first language, have Indonesian names etc. Would you say most Chinese Javanese are 'mixed'?
Yeah in general they have Indonesian names even to date generation, perhaps they have forgotten their identity.. hahaha.^^^^
Chinese Java? I do not know about their background, but my strong suspicion that they have been mixed, probably the same as their siblings who live in the neighboring countries. a term:___ Peranakan __

Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah in general they have Indonesian names even to date generation, perhaps they have forgotten their identity.. hahaha.^^^^
Chinese Java? I do not know about their background, but my strong suspicion that they have been mixed, probably the same as their siblings who live in the neighboring countries. a term:___ Peranakan __
Yes, the Peranakans in Indonesia are underestimated. Of course, in school I just thought of them as Indonesians, but looking make some did look pretty Sinitic.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Peranakans in Indonesia are underestimated. Of course, in school I just thought of them as Indonesians, but looking make some did look pretty Sinitic.
yeah i think so, in Jakarta when you go to a big Mall or to the environment rich people living you can find some Chinese Indonesia with physical appearance resembles Northeast Asian type. I think the topic is interesting but I have to off now.^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia