U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 892,082 times
Reputation: 306

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
sesame is mostly associated with only the EA countries

I say ginger, almost all asian countries use it
it's a medical herb that you use for making tea, stir frying, curries, stews, soups, cleaning your palate (for sushi) etc
No. Tahini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 892,082 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeimglowinginthedark View Post
Noodles and soy sauce.
I get the impression that noodles and soy sauce are mainly used in East Asian cuisine.

Do South Asians use soy sauce much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,274,366 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I get the impression that noodles and soy sauce are mainly used in East Asian cuisine.

Do South Asians use soy sauce much?
In India, soy sauce is known only as a foreign food. I'm pretty sure that applies to the middle east too. Noodles are not at all common in India where I've lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 892,082 times
Reputation: 306
I'm guessing Chinese-influenced countries have soy sauce and soy products more? Interesting that in the West, soy products like tofu are stereotypically associated with vegetarianism yet the country that is most vegetarian, India, traditionally doesn't seem to use soy much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I'm guessing Chinese-influenced countries have soy sauce and soy products more? Interesting that in the West, soy products like tofu are stereotypically associated with vegetarianism yet the country that is most vegetarian, India, traditionally doesn't seem to use soy much.
China and Japan have also had a tradition of vegetarianism. In fact, Japan is the only country in the world to my knowledge that for a time legally banned the consumption of meat (I believe fish was ok though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,274,366 times
Reputation: 1268
In India, the protein source for vegetarians is mostly legumes and grains. The less strict vegetarians also use dairy products and eggs. Grains are represented mostly (in my experience) by rice and then wheat, and legumes are represented mostly by dal, and secondly by garbanzo beans/chick peas/channa/choley/chole (all names for the same thing) and beans (an example being rajma-kidney beans- in Punjab and elsewhere).

Soy is a non-player in India, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,202,766 times
Reputation: 2294
the people of Nepal & Himilayas seem to have more Chinese influenced dishes like noodles & dumplings

some parts of Russia aslo eat asian style noodles & dumplings

Momo (dumpling) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by mr bolo; 04-28-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
In India, the protein source for vegetarians is mostly legumes and grains. The less strict vegetarians also use dairy products and eggs. Grains are represented mostly (in my experience) by rice and then wheat, and legumes are represented mostly by dal, and secondly by garbanzo beans/chick peas/channa/choley/chole (all names for the same thing) and beans (an example being rajma-kidney beans- in Punjab and elsewhere).

Soy is a non-player in India, in my experience.
Yes, depends on the region too. Vegetarianism is more widespread in the South, maybe because the area was less affected by the Mughals. It seems that pork is not really typical of India either, except some parts like Goa which has it's famous pork vindaloo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the people of Nepal & Himilayas seem to have more Chinese influenced dishes like noodles & dumplings

some parts of Russia aslo eat asian style noodles & dumplings

Momo (dumpling) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes as I mentioned dumplings are eaten throughout Asia and Eastern Europe, from Japan, Korea, China/Tibet, the 'stans', Russia, Ukraine, Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top