U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,994 times

Advertisements

For me, it's Japan by a mile. The Japanese may not be known to smile that much or chat with you for lack of English skills, but if you ask for help from random strangers, they are among the most helpful without expecting anything whatsoever in return.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 PM

318 posts, read 487,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Bali or Sri Lanka had the most genuinely friendly people of countries I've been to. In Bali they just seemed full of smiles, happy to talk to you and surprisingly for such a touristy-place few people ripping you off like Thailand. In Sri Lanka complete strangers would often converse with you out of genuine curiousity/friendliness and hospitality. I was invited by a bunch of young people to play cricket with them, and another man, when the internet cafe was closed, invited me to his house to use the internet! Another older man invited me for a meal at his home but alas i could not make it.

I've heard the Philippines and Cambodia might qualify too, as well as maybe the rest of Indonesia? Most Filipinos and Indonesians, and Malays to an extent, seem quite genuinely friendly.
Filipinos in Philippines are friendly, Filipinos in America are [Mod cut]. I would say White Americans on average are friendlier than Filipino Americans.

Go to any Bay Area suburb that has a high percentage of Filipino Americans and you will not encounter a lot friendly people.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Disrespectful

Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Filipinos in Philippines are friendly, Filipinos in America are [Mod cut]. I would say White Americans on average are friendlier than Filipino Americans.

Go to any Bay Area suburb that has a high percentage of Filipino Americans and you will not encounter a lot friendly people.
I haven't met any Filipino Americans, just Filipinos from the Phils. Culturally, I consider Americans just American. Like I once met a Chinese American on the plane (3rd generation) and to me she was of course just American, not Chinese.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,117,581 times
Indians.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
I think we are missing something important here. We only care about who is more friendly, and forgot "being friendly to WHOM"?

Most westerners left Taiwan and Hong Kong with an excellent impression thinking wow these people are really friendly and nice, eager to help and try their best to speak English. Well, in many cases, they are friendly because you are white. If you are a dark skinned person, from south or southeast Asia, or Africa, or the Americas, the local people may react quite differently.

I myself have heard many stories about how the Philippinos were treated by Taiwanese. And how Hong Kong sales ladies treat Mandarin speaking visitors.

Let's face a harsh reality here: many (I can't say most) Asians are racists. What a white person experiences can be completely different from a person with darker skin.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
From my experiences most Asians are fairly nice people, but some are harder to open up to strangers. Northern Chinese, Japanese, and Korean often times appear cold or perhaps even mean to strangers, but start talking to them and that will change. This is from a white Americans experience, which again from my experience I never recieved any hatred for. I've travelled china extensively and only had one person ever be mean to me. That was in Shanghai, and I believe was a rare occurrence. I've had little experience with Thais, Malays, and Indians. All nice, but while Indians seem nice I wouldn't trust them. Again, not as much experience with those nationalities.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM

320 posts, read 673,658 times
I found Cambodian the most friendly in SE asia.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think we are missing something important here. We only care about who is more friendly, and forgot "being friendly to WHOM"?

Most westerners left Taiwan and Hong Kong with an excellent impression thinking wow these people are really friendly and nice, eager to help and try their best to speak English. Well, in many cases, they are friendly because you are white. If you are a dark skinned person, from south or southeast Asia, or Africa, or the Americas, the local people may react quite differently.

I myself have heard many stories about how the Philippinos were treated by Taiwanese. And how Hong Kong sales ladies treat Mandarin speaking visitors.

Let's face a harsh reality here: many (I can't say most) Asians are racists. What a white person experiences can be completely different from a person with darker skin.
Interesting, I found Taiwanese friendly (moreso than mainland China) and I'm Asian in appearance, but Australian too, so maybe that changed things?

That's a pity. I know some Singaporeans treat them the same way. When at a little grocery store in Singapore I remember the lady storekeeper being very irritated because I didn't understand Mandarin.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
From my experiences most Asians are fairly nice people, but some are harder to open up to strangers. Northern Chinese, Japanese, and Korean often times appear cold or perhaps even mean to strangers, but start talking to them and that will change. This is from a white Americans experience, which again from my experience I never recieved any hatred for. I've travelled china extensively and only had one person ever be mean to me. That was in Shanghai, and I believe was a rare occurrence. I've had little experience with Thais, Malays, and Indians. All nice, but while Indians seem nice I wouldn't trust them. Again, not as much experience with those nationalities.
Never found the Japanese cold or mean, sometimes reserved, but some have been extremely extroverted and they often try to be friendly, ask questions.etc. They seem more open than Koreans in general actually.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,207,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, I found Taiwanese friendly (moreso than mainland China) and I'm Asian in appearance, but Australian too, so maybe that changed things?

That's a pity. I know some Singaporeans treat them the same way. When at a little grocery store in Singapore I remember the lady storekeeper being very irritated because I didn't understand Mandarin.
thats one of the main reasons they may seem unfriendly, it's the language barrier, they dont understand you and you dont understand them and they tend to get annoyed by the poor communication so they simply rather not do business

if you speak their language you will get 100% better treatment

if somebody came into your business and only spoke arabic , you would probably just tell them you cant help them and appear rude to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or