U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
thats one of the main reasons they may seem unfriendly, it's the language barrier, they dont understand you and you dont understand them and they tend to get annoyed by the poor communication so they simply rather not do business

if you speak their language you will get 100% better treatment

if somebody came into your business and only spoke arabic , you would probably just tell them you cant help them and appear rude to them
In Singapore? No, it's not that. Many local Singaporeans who are decently fluent in English are brusque. In most stores in Singapore, depending on the store, it is understood that English is the medium of communication. Although a lot of places in Chinatown.etc it's not the case, although if they're local Singaporeans they will understand English.

It's Singapore, knowing English is expected. Not all Singaporeans speak Mandarin, but virtually all younger ones know English. The old lady was just rude.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Singapore? No, it's not that. Many local Singaporeans who are decently fluent in English are brusque. In most stores in Singapore, depending on the store, it is understood that English is the medium of communication. Although a lot of places in Chinatown.etc it's not the case, although if they're local Singaporeans they will understand English.

It's Singapore, knowing English is expected. Not all Singaporeans speak Mandarin, but virtually all younger ones know English. The old lady was just rude.
i guess she just saw no potential that you will give her business.. for whatever reason i dont know

Old 05-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
i guess she just saw no potential that you will give her business.. for whatever reason i dont know
No I already bought something, she announced the amount in Mandarin, I hesitated and she just looked irritated and gave a huff and repeated it again, then in English in a cross tone.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,116,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
From my experiences most Asians are fairly nice people, but some are harder to open up to strangers. Northern Chinese, Japanese, and Korean often times appear cold or perhaps even mean to strangers, but start talking to them and that will change. This is from a white Americans experience, which again from my experience I never recieved any hatred for. I've travelled china extensively and only had one person ever be mean to me. That was in Shanghai, and I believe was a rare occurrence. I've had little experience with Thais, Malays, and Indians. All nice, but while Indians seem nice I wouldn't trust them. Again, not as much experience with those nationalities.

Why wouldn't you trust Indians if they seem nice? Is it because they are dark?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Why wouldn't you trust Indians if they seem nice? Is it because they are dark?
I think Indians and Chinese have traditionally been stereotyped as dishonest, conniving and cheats. I think the scams a tourist might be vulnerable to in those and some other Asian countries certainly doesn't help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or