U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,286,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskydarcy View Post
I'm putting together some research on how people like to be managed in various countries--what the collective "personality" is and what works for managing and providing feedback. It is really about how to show workers they are doing a good job and what sort of approach resonates. (For example, in the US you might say "You did a great job and are advancing so quickly to your goals! You are a star!" whereas this approach would not fly in say China, where it may be better to say "You have helped us achieve our company goals and are an invaluable member of the team."

I wondered if, anecdotally, this forum would have any insight into these factors:

o Directness: How straightforwardly do they communicate?
o Enthusiasm: How much positive emotion and energy do they show to others?
o Formality: How much deference and respect do they demonstrate?
o Assertiveness: How strongly do they express their own opinions?
o Self-Promotion: How positively do they speak about their individual skills and accomplishments?
o Personal disclosure: How much do they reveal about themselves? Are they open or shy?

I'm looking at China, S. Korea, Japan, the Philippines, India, and Singapore in my inquiry. I'd love any light you all could shed on those cultures.

Thanks!
If Singapore is your interest, i have no basis of comparison other countries bit I will give my opinion

Directness : pretty straightforward in communication..
Enthusiasm; pretty lacking, but we get the job done
Formality : moderate.. But seems to be eroding ..
Personal disclosure :
Self promotion : quite a bit
Personal disclosure : generally we don't believe in it. We believe personal life and work life is separate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 AM

59 posts, read 87,364 times
Although this is rather lengthy, it is a great read on how Confucianism plays a role in Korean workplaces and social structures:

http://koreana.kf.or.kr/pdf_file/199...UMMER_E013.pdf

Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,688,335 times
If you want to compare how culture compares to work ethics, you can read Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory.

This is how I rate them. Japan and South Korea actually seems to be a bit more Confucian, and the Cultural Revolution in China somewhat altered people to be wary of other people. There is a strong streak of materialism in China for what is a "communist" country, and this converts to somewhat of a dog-eat-dog world. I actually think the OP's impression that Chinese workers liked to be told they helped the company is more appropriate in Japan, and perhaps, South Korea, while Chinese workers will be happy to hear their individual contributions like the Westerners.

Most to Least...

o Directness: How straightforwardly do they communicate?
India, Philippines, Singapore, China, South Korea, Japan

Asians tend to be more indirect compared to Western culture. Indians seem to be more direct, especially when you are dealing with the more educated/higher caste.

o Enthusiasm: How much positive emotion and energy do they show to others?
Japan, Philippines, India, South Korea, Singapore, China

Materialism and being very competitive make China and Singapore lag here.

o Formality: How much deference and respect do they demonstrate?
Philippines, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, India, China

Japan and South Korea are more formal in the ritualistic sense, but it's the Filipinos who show the most "power distance" (Hofstede's theory), respecting authorities and their bosses.

o Assertiveness: How strongly do they express their own opinions?
India, China, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Philippines

The more educated/higher caste Indians seem to be the most assertive, while this is almost the opposite of respect for authorities.

o Self-Promotion: How positively do they speak about their individual skills and accomplishments?

China, Singapore, India, South Korea, Philippines, Japan

Similar to assertiveness, but also related to materialism, irreligiousness and also being entrepreneurial/risk-taking.

o Personal disclosure: How much do they reveal about themselves?
Philippines, India, Singapore, China, South Korea, Japan

Confucian culture often suppresses the emotions. Also some professional culture dictates separation between work and personal life. It is among Filipinos who believe that their colleagues can be their life-long friends and also maybe due to some "Latin" influence, not likely to suppress emotions.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,282,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskydarcy View Post
... in the US you might say "You did a great job and are advancing so quickly to your goals! You are a star!"
I'm in the USA and that wouldn't happen at my workplace. Management values teamwork and individual contribution both, and wouldn't tell anyone they were "a star", though maybe a little closer to that than in some other countries.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM

613 posts, read 899,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Experience.

Not compared to Mongoloids.
There is no culture called "Mongoloids" or any kind of reason they would share features related to work culture.

Old Today, 06:40 PM

165 posts, read 11,795 times
Generation gap of work cultures is increasing in east Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or