U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one?
China 3 11.11%
India 23 85.19%
Both are equally so 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Reputation: 11622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
You must be very young if you included parts of Taiwan outside of Taipei/New Taipei. I still regularly hear people in their late 30's/early 40's speak Taiwanese among themselves there.
I am pretty young. Late 30s and early 40s would still be alright, but that's on the boundary. I do notice the change in accent and the loss of a lot of colloquial expressions as part of everyday speech--basically, the language gets far less colorful. I'm odd in being raised in isolation with a completely Hoklo speaking community abroad who spoke very poor Mandarin (and I speak Mandarin better than most of my US family members having gone to Mandarin language school and being around a good deal of Mandarin speaking people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I know a Taiwanese in her 20s that speaks Taiwanese with her family.
It certainly exists, and not just in one or two but in thousands if not millions but in aggregate with the twenty million people of the formerly Hoklo speaking community in Taiwan and the tens if not hundreds of millions of Hoklo-speaking people outside of Taiwan, the Hoklo-speaking ability of people has nosedived severely in the last two generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
According to The Economist, India has over 400 languages. Daily chart: Speaking in tongues | The Economist
Yep. Not only that, but there is a substantial media market for several languages within India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The decline of Hokkien/Minnan in Singapore, Taiwan and southern Fujian itself is sad. In Singapore it was actively discouraged by the government in favour of Mandarin. I think there should be more of a sense of Hoklo/Fujianese identity instead of just Chinese. My grandmother speaks Hokkien.
Well there is no need to be sad actually . On the streets hokkien and Cantonese is still widely spoken.. I mean the government's efforts to "wipe out" dialects have worked to a certain extent .. But dialects are still widely spoken.. Army guys are all familiar with common hokkien terms.. Go To kopitiam or hawker centres you hear locals ordering our food in hokkien and Cantonese etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well there is no need to be sad actually . On the streets hokkien and Cantonese is still widely spoken.. I mean the government's efforts to "wipe out" dialects have worked to a certain extent .. But dialects are still widely spoken.. Army guys are all familiar with common hokkien terms.. Go To kopitiam or hawker centres you hear locals ordering our food in hokkien and Cantonese etc
Yes but it's mostly older people who speak it, and knowing a few terms is different from knowing the language. It looks quite likely Hokkien will die out soon unless people start reclaiming their heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
It is still widely spoken in Fujian. and Cantonese is spoken in Guangdong. It will never die. Maybe in overseas Chinatown, Manderin is dominant, but that is normal. considering the majority of immigrants from China speak Manderin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes but it's mostly older people who speak it, and knowing a few terms is different from knowing the language. It looks quite likely Hokkien will die out soon unless people start reclaiming their heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It is still widely spoken in Fujian. and Cantonese is spoken in Guangdong. It will never die. Maybe in overseas Chinatown, Manderin is dominant, but that is normal. considering the majority of immigrants from China speak Manderin
Even among the Hokkien in Singapore. I did hear it and other Min dialects like Min bei of Fuzhou, but not surprisingly the young people prefer Mandarin. It's no different to what is happening in Lhasa or Turpan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
Young people get more influence from the media, which is dominated by Manderin. However, local language is still important. Some Shanghainese talk shows are quite popular. There are some proposals to have the annoncements in the subway made both in Shanghainese and Manderin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Even among the Hokkien in Singapore. I did hear it and other Min dialects like Min bei of Fuzhou, but not surprisingly the young people prefer Mandarin. It's no different to what is happening in Lhasa or Turpan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Young people get more influence from the media, which is dominated by Manderin. However, local language is still important. Some Shanghainese talk shows are quite popular. There are some proposals to have the annoncements in the subway made both in Shanghainese and Manderin.
Not sure if you've been to Taiwan, but on the subways the announcements are in Mandarin, English, Taiwanese (Hokkien) and Hakka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
Manderin is Taiwan is actually a bit different than in Mainland. Anyway, its tone is quite popular among young people in Mainland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not sure if you've been to Taiwan, but on the subways the announcements are in Mandarin, English, Taiwanese (Hokkien) and Hakka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Manderin is Taiwan is actually a bit different than in Mainland. Anyway, its tone is quite popular among young people in Mainland.
What 'tone'? It's Mandarin not Manderin btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
Reputation: 283
Do you speak Mandarin? Mandarin in Taiwan is different than the Mandarin spoken in the Mainland.

Some vocabularies are completely different

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What 'tone'? It's Mandarin not Manderin btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top