U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
China 3 11.11%
India 23 85.19%
Both are equally so 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:31 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,303,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not sure. Do you have an opinion on the Taiwan situation? I hope they get independence and forge a distinctly Taiwanese culture, appropriating more aboriginal culture.
What do you mean forge a distinctly Taiwanese culture? They are the same people as the Chinese, with the same culture. Are you saying they should deliberately create some "culture" that is different from mainland China? That's not culture.

Not sure about the possibility of independence. China hates wars, but if there is one thing that will surely force China to engage in a full scaled war at any cost, that's Taiwan's independence. That's non-negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,301,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What do you mean forge a distinctly Taiwanese culture? They are the same people as the Chinese, with the same culture. Are you saying they should deliberately create some "culture" that is different from mainland China? That's not culture.

Not sure about the possibility of independence. China hates wars, but if there is one thing that will surely force China to engage in a full scaled war at any cost, that's Taiwan's independence. That's non-negotiable.
Well, I feel the aboriginal culture has been marginalised. There are half a million indigenous Taiwanese (that's not counting those who have some unreported ancestry). There are numerous cultural influences from the aborigines, like bamboo sticky rice and wild boar. I mean it might seem small, but it's a way to assert identity and connection with the land.

I don't see why China are so hell-bent on preventing that...

Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM

1,026 posts, read 634,237 times
I do not see China preventing the development of their indigenous culture. Actually there are quite a few artists with indigenous Taiwan culture who are quite popular in the mainland.

Quote:
Well, I feel the aboriginal culture has been marginalised. There are half a million indigenous Taiwanese (that's not counting those who have some unreported ancestry). There are numerous cultural influences from the aborigines, like bamboo sticky rice and wild boar. I mean it might seem small, but it's a way to assert identity and connection with the land.

I don't see why China are so hell-bent on preventing that...

Old 05-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I do not see China preventing the development of their indigenous culture. Actually there are quite a few artists with indigenous Taiwan culture who are quite popular in the mainland.
Well the KMT probably has something to blame for it. If they hadn't invaded Taiwan maybe Taiwanese culture would be less diluted by the mainland. I mean did the Hoklo or aborigines living there welcome the KMT with open arms?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't say KMT invaded Taiwan. Taiwan is always part of China. It is like US government retreated to Hawaii. Would you say that is an invasion?

Quote:
Well the KMT probably has something to blame for it. If they hadn't invaded Taiwan maybe Taiwanese culture would be less diluted by the mainland. I mean did the Hoklo or aborigines living there welcome the KMT with open arms?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say KMT invaded Taiwan. Taiwan is always part of China. It is like US government retreated to Hawaii. Would you say that is an invasion?
Well the Nationalists did, I suppose...Well Hawaii only became a state after that, actually. True I guess Taiwan was ruled from Beijing during the Civil War wasn't it?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM

During the civil war, the capital is Nanjing, my hometown. Nanjing is still the capital city of Taiwan today by its constitution. It is very weird. A lot of people do not know that.

Quote:
Well the Nationalists did, I suppose...Well Hawaii only became a state after that, actually. True I guess Taiwan was ruled from Beijing during the Civil War wasn't it?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
During the civil war, the capital is Nanjing, my hometown. Nanjing is still the capital city of Taiwan today by its constitution. It is very weird. A lot of people do not know that.
Weird...so what is Taipei then?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,279,008 times
Speaking from Singapore , I would think mandarin spoken in Sjngapore seems closer to Chinese in china..

I have not been to Taiwan though ..

Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,676,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Speaking from Singapore , I would think mandarin spoken in Sjngapore seems closer to Chinese in china..

I have not been to Taiwan though ..
These are among the common words that are different. I suspect the "correct" way to pronounce it in Singapore is like the PRC way, while the accent might be closer to Taiwan (aside from people from Fujian, of course). I am not so sure as I spoke only English with native Singaporeans.

week
CN: xing1qi1
TW: xing1qi2

Asia
CN: ya4zhou1
TW: ya3zhou1

garbage
CN: la1ji1
TW: le4se4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or