U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the one with the greater influence on Asia as a whole?
China 86 87.76%
India 6 6.12%
Both equally so. 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,284,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
English and French belongs to the Indian-European language family, which means their language structures have a lot of similarities (concepts such as gender, tense etc) but Chinese and Japanese don't even belong to the same language family.

as you can see, the Sino-tibetan languages don't include Japanese. They are a lot farther than between English and French

Sino-Tibetan languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know that, I took Japanese in school. I mean even those unfamiliar with the languages should be able to tell that they sound very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,218,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I know that, I took Japanese in school. I mean even those unfamiliar with the languages should be able to tell that they sound very different.
You'd be surprised my man. In this country, anyounghaseyo, konnichiwa, and ni hao are all Chinese words

But, yes, botticelli is right. Japanese, Korean, Chinese have about as much similarity with each other as Spanish and Basque. With Korean it gets even trickier, it's officially classified as a language isolate, just like Basque.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You'd be surprised my man. In this country, anyounghaseyo, konnichiwa, and ni hao are all Chinese words

But, yes, botticelli is right. Japanese, Korean, Chinese have about as much similarity with each other as Spanish and Basque. With Korean it gets even trickier, it's officially classified as a language isolate, just like Basque.
Well yeah that's just ignorance, but I mean if they'd actually listen to the languages with an open mind.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,121,244 times
Cant really speak for Asia but for the entire world, what about the spread and popularity of yoga?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,674,436 times
Influence in all of Asia is difficult to measure. Even defining which countries you include in Asia. Also kind of meaningless. It is obvious that East Asia is influenced by China, South Asia by India. Southeast Asia in general I would say China. Central Asia is probably India but actually more Middle Eastern and Russian influences. Are we including the Middle East in all of Asia? Neither India nor China has strong influence there but I would say Middle Eastern influence is much more evident in India.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,277,417 times
On which part of Asia, is the question. Like GoldenTiger said.

A meaningless poll, but can be fun. Or not lol

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 631,855 times
Actually, some Japanese sounds a bit like Wu dialect. It is said that the first settlers in Japan came from Wu region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Actually, some Japanese sounds a bit like Wu dialect. It is said that the first settlers in Japan came from Wu region.
Hmm, not that familiar with Wu, but from the little I've heard of it I don't really hear it. I suppose there could be a bit of influence. You mean the Jomon era people? Or the Yayoi?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 PM

613 posts, read 894,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post

I do mean all of Asia as a whole (which obviously is a Eurocentric construct since it means Eurasia minus Europe). After all, Asians make up the bulk of the human population.

China and India alone each have over a billion and Southeast Asia over half a billion. West Asia, Central Asia and Asian Russia are somewhat less populated.

But population wise (or even just how widespread in Asia), culturally, do you think China or India's sphere of influence has been greater?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM

613 posts, read 894,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post

Why is it meaningless? It's subjective no doubt, but it's like other comparisons on this forum like between say Canada and Australia, or the American East and West coasts or the countless city vs. city threads, or what American city makes the best food or something.

I am talking about all of Asia, plus most of the human race lives in Asia so the fact that these two civilizations influenced it is meaningful. Most people talk about China and India's sphere of influences when they talk about "Eastern civilization".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or