Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the one with the greater influence on Asia as a whole?
China 86 87.76%
India 6 6.12%
Both equally so. 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,537,379 times

Advertisements

I used to live a few miles from the Charminar mosque, in Hyderabad, south India. That's a beautiful monument to past and present Moslem influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:31 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
I'm curious, a question about Hindu beliefs about deities. Do most laypeople literally believe in the pantheon of Gods? I mean in what sense do they believe in say Ganesha? Do they believe there's literally a guy with an elephant head somewhere in another dimension, or that that form represents a spirit? If avatars, do they believe the avatars reside somewhere else in physical form, kind of like Jesus embodying God? I've heard more educated Hindus just view them as symbolic representations of a supreme being, so are basically monotheistic or otherwise pantheist, would you say that's true?

Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,534,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm curious, a question about Hindu beliefs about deities. Do most laypeople literally believe in the pantheon of Gods? I mean in what sense do they believe in say Ganesha? Do they believe there's literally a guy with an elephant head somewhere in another dimension, or that that form represents a spirit? If avatars, do they believe the avatars reside somewhere else in physical form, kind of like Jesus embodying God? I've heard more educated Hindus just view them as symbolic representations of a supreme being, so are basically monotheistic or otherwise pantheist, would you say that's true?

Not sure...but when NASA made a statement saying how life on other planets will not look like us (more than likely), I couldn't stop thinking about the Hindu Gods LOL

Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,434,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I agree but I want point out. Hinduism in India itself is very different from region to region. Hinduism in North India is different from the South. In the North its quite diluted and changed from its original ways due to the Islamic hordes invading and forcing their ideas and beliefs and the local populace. In the South, Hindusim is quite conservative due to the ability of that region to keep foreigners in check for a long time.
Quote:
South is more conservative and represents Hinduism in its truest forms ( at least somewhat). Whereas Hinduism in North India is heavily diluted
You made these statements and have yet to give specifics on what exactly constitutes this "dilution."

You're emphasis on the importance of temples as a causation for this "dilution" shows a fundamental lack of understanding about Hinduism. Temples never acted as important repositories of information, sources of (universal) doctrine, or mandatory worship in Hinduism.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
You made these statements and have yet to give specifics on what exactly constitutes this "dilution."

You're emphasis on the importance of temples as a causation for this "dilution" shows a fundamental lack of understanding about Hinduism. Temples never acted as important repositories of information, sources of (universal) doctrine, or mandatory worship in Hinduism.
Maybe you should travel to India and compare the temples in North and South. Then you will be able to gain perspective.

Its not hard to understand Hinduism quite well. Maybe you don't. You cannot compare the state of temples today to what it once was. Hindu has changed so much from it once was. You are correct. Temples historically never played the roles you mentioned. We had major universities that would collect such information. As for mandatory worship, I never said that, you did. With all the havoc going on in India from the 8th -18th century, hinduism was mess in North India. Do you have any idea why? Think about it. Where do you think texts and other valuables were stored in such emergencies when willing households could not be found? These are the reasons we have such a mess in Hinduism today. No real authority has been able to step in.

Read up..

Hinduism (religion) :: Pilgrimage -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Its not hard to understand Hinduism quite well.
It's simple, huh? You know all the gods, all the sects, everything, right? You know all the traditions, right?

Or do you only know one brand, and call that the only "real" Hinduism?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Hinduism is an umbrella term for all kinds of traditional beliefs in India.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
It's simple, huh? You know all the gods, all the sects, everything, right? You know all the traditions, right?

Or do you only know one brand, and call that the only "real" Hinduism?

Is anything hard to understand as long as you can read

Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Is anything hard to understand as long as you can read
Yes, I don't read anything and I am stupid. But I grew up in India and I lived in different places there. It's not so simple. By the way, it's not just south India that had less Muslim influence. Assam, in northeast India, fended off the Moslems multiple times, and the Aryans never got very far (which you seem to not know). I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm just saying you don't have a grasp of the whole subject.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Yes, I don't read anything and I am stupid. But I grew up in India and I lived in different places there. It's not so simple. By the way, it's not just south India that had less Muslim influence. Assam, in northeast India, fended off the Moslems multiple times, and the Aryans never got very far (which you seem to not know). I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm just saying you don't have a grasp of the whole subject.

Btw I already posted about the AHOM. I did the India circuit for a few yrs. Look at Assam now LOL, a bunch of Bangladeshi's setting up shop without bloodshed! Aryans? Well, I wouldn't pay too much attention to that garbage. DNA testing has proved otherwise. Plus, that theory was kind of debunked if I remember correctly. I believe it was hyped up by Europeans during colonialism. But there is the whole Iranian angle (Aryans).

What did I say that you got you and your buddy all riled up? The differences between North and South Hinduism? Or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia