U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,206,011 times

Advertisements

US economy and jobs market is still bad. I can live off of SSDI and stay in our Quezon City house rent free. After my mom died, I stayed in the Philippines for 7 weeks. I ate as much fast food and good home grocery cooking as much as I wanted - total bill for food 1 month = 11,700 pesos = $265

Will there be a problem with the Philippines or US government if I stay 8 months there?

Edit: I found the solution at the Philippines US Consulate website - former Filipino citizens can stay 1 year if they provide a birth certificate showing they were born in the Philippines.

Last edited by Jesse69; 05-01-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Wait and still get US social security payments??

Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
US economy and jobs market is still bad. I can live off of SSDI and stay in our Quezon City house rent free. After my mom died, I stayed in the Philippines for 7 weeks. I ate as much fast food and good home grocery cooking as much as I wanted - total bill for food 1 month = 11,700 pesos = $265

Will there be a problem with the Philippines or US government if I stay 8 months there?

Edit: I found the solution at the Philippines US Consulate website - former Filipino citizens can stay 1 year if they provide a birth certificate showing they were born in the Philippines.
if you used to be a citizen, you can get dual citizenship

Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 PM

163 posts, read 199,037 times
Factual answer: If you are a naturalized citizen, you can still opt for dual citizenship and stay in PH indefinitely.

Just a thought: Such a shame - -flaunting you will be receiving SSDI w/o the intention of finding a job. Yes, you worked for it to a certain extent but still.

Go find a friggin job.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:48 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,206,011 times
I don't want to loaf off and just live on SSDI in the Philippines. I actually do want to work. I've been unemployed since Aug 15, 2008 and companies are discriminating against me for being unemployed long. I have to put two lies on my resume to look like I worked. I never wanted to loaf off SSDI. I got my BSME degree from a top 6 university with the hope of getting a good job and a wife one day. But I go paranoid and lost a great job because of this disability.

I don't know the complications of dual citizenship yet. I have to look at the Philippine Consulate website more.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM

307 posts, read 473,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I don't want to loaf off and just live on SSDI in the Philippines. I actually do want to work. I've been unemployed since Aug 15, 2008 and companies are discriminating against me for being unemployed long. I have to put two lies on my resume to look like I worked. I never wanted to loaf off SSDI. I got my BSME degree from a top 6 university with the hope of getting a good job and a wife one day. But I go paranoid and lost a great job because of this disability.

I don't know the complications of dual citizenship yet. I have to look at the Philippine Consulate website more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse69- With a BSME I'm sure you can land a job in the Philippines...but consider that you would be competing with all those BSME grads vying for whatever available jobs they can get. I have a nephew in the Philippines with two Bachelors degrees...one in IT and another in Business Admin...and works in a call center. What a waste of talent! He said he has been trying to get something more in line with his education and training..but no luck. Apparently, not having the connections (in the right places) to get the right job is still prevalent in the country.

It's not a shame to be on SSDI so don't let anyone intimidate you about getting a job. Go there on a Balikbayan visa (you were born there, right?)...you have a entire year to stay. A few months before the visa expires...take a short vacation in Guam (3 hours' flight from Manila)...a US TERRITORY...(it's just like going back to the U.S.)...and your passport will be stamped as having departed the Philippines...and arrived in the U.S. (Guam, a U.S. Territory); thus becoming eligible again for another Balikbayan visa...another year. But check it out...I think the only requirement to qualify for a new entry visa is to leave the country. I don't think there is a length of time specified for you to be out of the country (Philippines). A cousin told me...just before his one year visa expires...he flies to Hong Kong, stays for a weekend...and flies back to Manila to start his one year stay all over again.

But then...you've got this matter with SSA to clear up. You don't want to jeopardize your SSDI entitlement by staying outside the U.S. past the specified period of time. Check with SSA...is residing in Guam considered living in the U.S.? Best to be sure. Technically, you don't need a U.S. Passport to enter Guam...that means it's the same as being in the U.S., right? But of course, when you catch a plane from Continental US...to go to Guam, they require that you show a U.S. Passport...because many of the flights flying in and out of the Continental U.S. fly to & from foreign countries. And you do need to show a U.S. Passport to get back to the U.S. from any place in the Pacific...even coming from Hawaii.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 PM

307 posts, read 473,284 times
Default How Long Can I Visit the Philippines Without Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Wait and still get US social security payments??
Apparently, it is possible to receive SS payments in the Philippines. Two cousins who retired with U.S. government returned to the Philippines and receive their SS retirement there...along with their Federal service retirements. But there seems to be a confusion about this entitlement. When my wife and I visited the SS office recently, we were advised that should we leave the U.S. for more than 6 months...there is some kind of tax we have to pay. She did not elaborate on this...so we'll have to research that further. I know several people who returned to the Philippines to retire continue receiving their SS pension. If anyone out there knows...please chime in and share what you know with the forum.

Last edited by FCStraight; 05-04-2014 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Correct minor typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or