U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM

1,011 posts, read 631,524 times

Advertisements

Also, by 2020, shanghai will double the length of its existing subway, which is already No. 1 in the world (Beijing is No. 2). It will also have the free wifi hotspot anywhere in the city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Even the vice president of USA acknowledged that NYC's infrastructure is like third world country
TIME - Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews

Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM

1,589 posts, read 829,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
How many have two large airports both with direct subway access to downtown? (Even Narita doesn't. The one way N'ex costs like $100 one way)
Narita has a train station inside the airport complex that takes you directly to Tokyo station. 1 hour train ride, no transfers. It cost me about $15 in yen.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,289,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Even the vice president of USA acknowledged that NYC's infrastructure is like third world country
TIME - Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews
Not sure if NYC's infrastructure is that bad, but Toronto definitely feels like third world in terms of infrastructure:

1) we have 2 full subway lines for a city of 6+M that frequently break down and extremely crowded during rush hours, but nevertheless charges a whopping $134 a month for a pass
2) we seem to be proud of the slow moving streetcars (trolleys, or trams) which if break down, the entire traffic stops because these cars can't make turns.
3) our subway stations and buses are not equipped with some sort of fare card readers. You either pay cash or drop a token in the box in front of a fare collector, which issues paper transfers. Essentiall you need abunch of metal tokens on you all the time. Oh, our day pass is a piece of paper which you scratch the date for the day you use.
4) there is no cellphone signal on any subway lines
5) trains to Montreal takes 5-6 hours, a sheer distance of 540km. Shanghai Beijing HST takes 5 hours and that's 1300 km.
6) we had 2 or 3 power outage in various parts of the city since the beginning of this year- one last night which lasted 3 hours
7) last year there was 5 centimeters of rain, the union station, the main transit hub was flooded and downtown subway was suspended during rush hour
8) our famous highway 401 is congested probably 12 hours of the day, and the Don Valley Parkway is nicked named the Don Valley Parking lot
9) our Gardiner expressway along the waterfront keep dropping random concrete for the last two years due to neglect and the city is scrambling to fix it
10) there is no subway to the airport - you need to take 1 or 2 subway lines and hop on a bus for 20 minutes

section of Yonge street, our main downtown drag where the subway runs under looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
China set to become the largest economy this year-untitled.jpg  

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM

The infrastructure in NYC is pathetic. No rail or subway connecting the city and its 3 main airports. The subway is the worst and the dirtiest I ever seen in my life.

It is absurd that NYC takes more than 10 years to build its 2nd ave Subway of just 3 kilo metres. Within one year, Shanghai can build more than 50 kilo meters subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not sure if NYC's infrastructure is that bad, but Toronto definitely feels like third world in terms of infrastructure:

1) we have 2 full subway lines for a city of 6+M that frequently break down and extremely crowded during rush hours, but nevertheless charges a whopping $134 a month for a pass
2) we seem to be proud of the slow moving streetcars (trolleys, or trams) which if break down, the entire traffic stops because these cars can't make turns.
3) our subway stations and buses are not equipped with some sort of fare card readers. You either pay cash or drop a token in the box in front of a fare collector, which issues paper transfers. Essentiall you need abunch of metal tokens on you all the time. Oh, our day pass is a piece of paper which you scratch the date for the day you use.
4) there is no cellphone signal on any subway lines
5) trains to Montreal takes 5-6 hours, a sheer distance of 540km. Shanghai Beijing HST takes 5 hours and that's 1300 km.
6) we had 2 or 3 power outage in various parts of the city since the beginning of this year- one last night which lasted 3 hours
7) last year there was 5 centimeters of rain, the union station, the main transit hub was flooded and downtown subway was suspended during rush hour
8) our famous highway 401 is congested probably 12 hours of the day, and the Don Valley Parkway is nicked named the Don Valley Parking lot
9) our Gardiner expressway along the waterfront keep dropping random concrete for the last two years due to neglect and the city is scrambling to fix it
10) there is no subway to the airport - you need to take 1 or 2 subway lines and hop on a bus for 20 minutes

section of Yonge street, our main downtown drag where the subway runs under looks like this

Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
Quote:
Also, by 2020, shanghai will double the length of its existing subway, which is already No. 1 in the world (Beijing is No. 2). It will also have the free wifi hotspot anywhere in the city center.
Wow, cool.

When will it have potable tap water?

Quote:
I'm not arguing that the US' infrastructure doesn't need work; it's a big sticking point with me, that the US doesn't do more to modernize its infrastructure. But, as I asked previously, I think in a different thread, have you ever spent any time in China outside of Shanghai and its wealthier suburbs? You choose to judge China by the absolute best it can offer and call any counterpoint ignorant, and then cherry-pick the worst elements of the US and proclaim that China is obviously better than the West as a whole. If you do believe that China has a superior infrastructure to the best that Europe can offer, then you seem to be in the minority, considering that large swaths of suburban Southern California and the Bay Area are being bought up by wealthy Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou residents.

I understand that you're proud of China, and I won't argue that - I love it here. But glossing over its realities in an attempt to preserve its honor or something like that just looks silly and reduces your credibility.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The infrastructure in NYC is pathetic. No rail or subway connecting the city and its 3 main airports. The subway is the worst and the dirtiest I ever seen in my life.

It is absurd that NYC takes more than 10 years to build its 2nd ave Subway of just 3 kilo metres. Within one year, Shanghai can build more than 50 kilo meters subway.
I'm not really fond of NYC overall personally, relative to other US cities such as Boston, SF, and LA. Its subways are indeed dirty, but they run on time and manage to keep the most economically-important city in the world running somehow.

The delay in time is largely a result of the US' legal system, which IMHO has become farcical in many ways. Pointless lawsuits and the like keep things like subway projects and road widening and repaving at bay for years, and it's also a big reason why the US' educational system has declined. In China, there's a general culture of respect for teachers, where in the US, there's a culture of disrespect throughout much o middle America and even in areas where there is respect for teachers, schools have a risk-averse structure that tries to mitigate lawsuits, which can happen because a teacher told a kid that he needed to be quiet and respect class time and the parents allege that his psyche was forever damaged by the shame of being singled outand shamed in front of his peers.

I also wanted to posit that you can take the BART in the Bay Area straight to the SFO terminal, IIRC it costs six bucks or so from the city center. You can also take it to a stop near the Oakland International Airport and then a commuter bus takes you to the terminals. BART is quite clean and isn't lacking in any infrastructure. You can also take the train straight to Logan in Boston, and it costs something like two or three bucks.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 AM

6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times
That's exactly how this gen2010 makes me feel,he is allowed to criticize any other place , while whoever said a single bad thing about Shanghai is "biased",as if China really is THAT good.

And these Chinese aka the citizens of the perfect countriy seem to have 0 idea that statistics like GDP or PISA are simply reference materials for a country's economy and education,honestly judging by their posts one can simply tell how awful the education in China is,instead of being critical,they think so highly of Shanghai and China merely judging by these data from wikipedia.
I don't even think gen2010 has even been to Japan in the first place.

Oh and I can already forsee what these "citizens of the perfect country" would say about me,"poor Taiwanese living in tiny island is so brainwashed and day dreams about independence" blahblah.
How predictable lmfao

Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's exactly how this gen2010 makes me feel,he is allowed to criticize any other place , while whoever said a single bad thing about Shanghai is "biased",as if China really is THAT good.

And these Chinese aka the citizens of the perfect countriy seem to have 0 idea that statistics like GDP or PISA are simply reference materials for a country's economy and education,honestly judging by their posts one can simply tell how awful the education in China is,instead of being critical,they think so highly of Shanghai and China merely judging by these data from wikipedia.
I don't even think gen2010 has even been to Japan in the first place.

Oh and I can already forsee what these "citizens of the perfect country" would say about me,"poor Taiwanese living in tiny island is so brainwashed and day dreams about independence" blahblah.
How predictable lmfao
TBH, I live in China... all my coworkers are Chinese... the kids I teach are Chinese... my girlfriend is Chinese... my business partners are Chinese... I spend like 95% of my time around Chinese people and his views are extreme and myopic even for the average Chinese person I've encountered.

I love China, I love the US, there are many places I've been to I love but I don't see how denying the negatives of any place actually does it any favors. It's one thing to acknowledge them and say that you're at peace with them, or think that other positives offset them, but to deny them and deflect to other places is pointless.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM

6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times
Yeah I know many Chinese that are not even 1/10 as radical and nationalistic as him.Many of them agree on how absolutely appalling and annoying the human rights conditons and pollutions and corruptions are in China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or