U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Eh, there's a peanut gallery of young Chinese nationalists on this board who spend most of their time trying to prove China is the absolute best place on earth by selectively boosting specific elements of it whole denigrating other countries, in the process insulting any naysayers and dissenting opinions. Do you have a problem with that? It seems frequent now that someone will say something like "China has the best infrastructure on earth" and as soon as someone calls a fault to that, the automatic response is something like "maybe you should try reading a book" or some other slam on ones intelligence and virtue.

I think the conversation can be had without acting like teenagers.
I see no problem if some people praise their country or hometown. In fact most people in the world do so.
If you see they say something wrong, you can point it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I see no problem if some people praise their country or hometown. In fact most people in the world do so.
If you see they say something wrong, you can point it out.
There's nothing wrong with it at all, but if I suddenly started saying that Boston was the best city in the world bar none and its education and infrastructure wete the norm for the entirety of America and tried to shut down any dissent with insults about intelligence and deflective, irrelevant platitudes, then I'd be a tool.

There's a point where pride becomes excessive and becomes hubris. I may not agree with you all the time but concede that you're intelligent fellow; surely, you are well past the point of intelligence to have realized this.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 PM

143 posts, read 152,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"Its partly why nations around China have called on the US to play a bigger role in the region."...

Sorry, the US is broke. It ain't going to happen.

^^^^^^^^^^Really? and you are an expert in American economy??

Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM

143 posts, read 152,586 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it at all, but if I suddenly started saying that Boston was the best city in the world bar none and its education and infrastructure wete the norm for the entirety of America and tried to shut down any dissent with insults about intelligence and deflective, irrelevant platitudes, then I'd be a tool.

There's a point where pride becomes excessive and becomes hubris. I may not agree with you all the time but concede that you're intelligent fellow; surely, you are well past the point of intelligence to have realized this.

^^^ That is why I don't even bother to respond to these Chinese kids.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times
Quote:

Some Chinese cities do have very good infrastructure, or at least in some aspects (airport, highway, public buildings etc.). If people make claims like that, they may have their points. You can just ask for details.

It might be true that some Chinese people are very nationalist and eager to show off. However, it is more or less a counteraction to the ubiquitous negative reports and opinions on China in some other countries.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 AM

15 posts, read 15,175 times
With its largest population and soon largest economy, China will be as arrogant as the US in the future.

Taiwanese complained Chnese threatened to destroy Taiwan or make Taiwan into a trouble economic recession if Taiwan fails to please China. Sure the Chinese would also like to see the fall of Japan and the US in contrast to a rising China.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Some Chinese cities do have very good infrastructure, or at least in some aspects (airport, highway, public buildings etc.). If people make claims like that, they may have their points. You can just ask for details.

It might be true that some Chinese people are very nationalist and eager to show off. However, it is more or less a counteraction to the ubiquitous negative reports and opinions on China in some other countries.
I live in a two year old luxury highrise in the wealthiest part of guangzhou, take the metro every day, have been to all its railway stations, etc, do I'm certainly aware of how great its infrastructure can be. I've also been in a hospital built in the 50's that had dried puke in the stairwell, falling tiles, etc, where you literally have six or seven people in a room for a consultation, hearing eachothers' problems. This hospital is the largest in Guangzhou and serves most of the working to middle class in Tianhe and Liede. I received competent care but to say it's up to international standards is erroneous.

I went out drinking with a Chinese culture and went to meet with some of his friends who lived in a flat the size of a large bedroom with four bunk beds, a small card table, a hot plate, and a squatter with no flush but a spigot and a bucket next to it. The building across from us was maybe six meters away and what little sky you could see was obscured by decades of power cables and fiber optic cable. I thought it was pretty cool, personally. You still have areas like this in China's major cities, to say nothing of secondary and smaller cities, and hundreds of millions of Chinese live like this. One way or the other its part of China's history and present culture and should be embraced instead of denied.

I don't find virtue in fighting lies with lies.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:15 AM

1,011 posts, read 631,238 times
Why America fails, China fails? China can export to EU, the rest of Asia, Africa, etc. Also, it has a huge domestic market. China existed in history for thousands years even before the US was born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Sure China does. But if America fails, China fails.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:18 AM

1,011 posts, read 631,238 times
THe strength diference between the mailand and taiwan vs. Ukrain and Russia is even bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Btw since gen2010 did bring up about something like Crimea voted for separation with Ukraine and European countries and US thought it was illegal blah blah,so if the same thing happens to Taiwan the westerners would also disagree and stuffs,I just want you remind you that there is something called Budapest memorandum,and you can google the rest of it.

Except that the same thing would never happen to Taiwan because we won't hold a referendum like that,if we do,it'd only be the day no longer has any influence around the world,that's pretty much impossible so the only thing we can do now is to keep the thing like the way it was,a de facto independence is fine for now.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 AM

6,779 posts, read 5,137,786 times
^You are so single-minded
If US fails,EU fails,the rest of Asia fails,so what will happen to China if the rest of world all FAILS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or