U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:05 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Stress levels are generally higher in many asian countries(i.e. competitions, collectivist societies, etc.), and this isn't unique only to Korea.
I am Asian so I agree with you,but Korea is like the land of stressful souls.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Nightlife in the main cities (Seoul, Daegu, Busan) is decent. The problem with Korea is you have two options for clubbing.

1) Mostly Korean Techno/House Clubs

Going here is pointless if you want to meet women. Koreans here are out with their friends and are not interested in pickup and even if they were it wouldn't be with a Foreigner

2) Mostly Western Bars and Clubs (Top40, Hiphop, Rnb)

Terrible ratios (manageable as most Foreign teachers in Korea are socially inept and the Military guys have a 2am curfew)

Both 1 and 2 are on the expensive side (clubs that is)

There was a nice Latin / Salsa bar in Itaewon that had a good mix of Foreigners and Koreans but sadly that closed down.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Korea has never interested me greatly, I'm mainly interested in just going to Jeju island but I'll at least check Seoul etc out.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM

6,207 posts, read 6,364,366 times
Quote:
Nightlife in the main cities (Seoul, Daegu, Busan) is decent. The problem with Korea is you have two options for clubbing.

1) Mostly Korean Techno/House Clubs

Going here is pointless if you want to meet women. Koreans here are out with their friends and are not interested in pickup and even if they were it wouldn't be with a Foreigner

2) Mostly Western Bars and Clubs (Top40, Hiphop, Rnb)

Terrible ratios (manageable as most Foreign teachers in Korea are socially inept and the Military guys have a 2am curfew)

Both 1 and 2 are on the expensive side (clubs that is)

There was a nice Latin / Salsa bar in Itaewon that had a good mix of Foreigners and Koreans but sadly that closed down.
It is no more pointless than going to a foreign country to meet women.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,780,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There have been various posts and threads about korean communities in the States. Some of the posters also had pessimistic things to say. If they are so xenophobic as you say, why do they leave their country?
Xenophobia not limited to Korea by a long shot... a matter of fact it might actually be considered the "norm" worldwide...the melting pot the of USA might actually be considered an exception to that. ..Also surprised that Japan did not make the list. http://geopolnews.com/2013/11/top-10...bic-countries/

Last edited by Pretzelogik; 05-06-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM

22,131 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Don't hate it, but I'm not particularly interested in it either. The spitting and slurping doesn't bother me at all. The materialism does to some extent.

I do like the food quite a bit. People seem fine to me and I grew up with a lot of Korean-Americans some of them fresh off the boat Korean. The pride in being Korean or having anything Korean my friends have is a bit thick sometimes, but I'm happy for them.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,669,534 times
A lot of what was mentioned pertains to China, too. Very Xenophobic people who look down on interracial couples, rude, loud people, spitting everywhere in public, etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM

675 posts, read 441,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
A lot of what was mentioned pertains to China, too. Very Xenophobic people who look down on interracial couples, rude, loud people, spitting everywhere in public, etc.
Yea, would probably be safe to say this is an Asian (East) phenomenon. I singled out Korea simply for the fact that is the country I have experience in.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Quote:
Yea, would probably be safe to say this is an Asian (East) phenomenon. I singled out Korea simply for the fact that is the country I have experience in.
It's not an East Asian phenomenon,you'd never meet "Very Xenophobic people who look down on interracial couples, rude, loud people, spitting everywhere in public, etc." in Japan or Singapore at very least.

And Korean people are not rude or loud imo.Xenophobic?maybe.
Spitting everywhere in public....Idk,that just sounds very Chinese to me.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 PM

6,207 posts, read 6,364,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Xenophobia not limited to Korea by a long shot... a matter of fact it might actually be considered the "norm" worldwide...the melting pot the of USA might actually be considered an exception to that. ..Also surprised that Japan did not make the list. Top 10 Most Xenophobic Countries | Geopol News
That is why I find it strange when people complain about openness, or the hospitality of the natives towards the foreigners. And I am not even talking about going overseas. This is the same issue with Hipsters and Yuppies, and transplants in NYC. USA is quite xenophobic too, but we have gotten more experience with it, so allow for some intrusion.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 AM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Perhaps, one day, Korea will produce an anti-materialistic, anti-establishment Hippie-like generation, like in the U.S., in reaction to the materialism of their parents. Let's recall, members of the Hippie generation came from, largely, middle-class, upper-class families, not the lower classes.

What ya' think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or